Thread: Djembe newbie

User Info Menu

Default Djembe newbie

Okay - I've got an old djembe sitting in the living room (it came as a freebie when I bought a second-hand kit), and I've got absolutely no idea how to play it.

Does anyone (bongobro ... nudge nudge) know of any websites or onlines documents - basically anything free - which are good for djembe beginners?

User Info Menu

Hey Jobby, it's nice to see we're starting to get more hand drummers in here. Here is a website that I highly recommend:

http://www.alternativeculture.com/music/rhythm.htm

There are many different styles of hand drumming. (African, Latin, Cuban, Egyptian, etc...) This site will give you the basics for a lot of different influences AND it will teach you how to sight read for djembe / ashiko drumming. (kind of different as it uses sounds to notate what to play instead of actual sheet music) Most of the djembe players I know don't know how to sight read, but if you are trying to teach/learn a song, it can be learned very quickly and is universal across the world.

Welcome to a whole new world of percussion! Hand drumming is a blast and once you figure out how to get all the different sounds out of a djembe that can be played, you will open up a different way to express yourself than when you play a kit. Hand drumming is a lot less physical and a whole lot more emotional.

I'm sure BB's got some great information and advice for you also. I hope you stick with it, you'll be glad you did!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Kick A s s.

Even got a section on changing head tension ... which just hadn't occurred to me.

I think I'll have to get the basic sounds down before anything more complex - I can sight-read music, so the notation looks easy enough.

Big thanks!

User Info Menu

Cool Djembe newbie

1DB, you beat me to it, man!

Most of what I know about playing the djembe, jobby, I learned from watching others play. The basic rhythm I play involves alternating right and left strokes; it works something like this:

1) Strike center of djembe with flat right hand and snap away quickly for a deep bass tone.

2) Rim shot with fingers of left hand as if you were playing bongos or congas.

3) Strike midway between center and rim with slightly cupped right hand for a higher-pitch but still "bassy" tone.

4) Same as 2. Repeat as often as desired--from this point it's a matter of picking up speed and changing hand positions to change the tone. If you're familiar with playing bongos and congas, many of the finger tricks you use to get a "crack" or "pop" out of the bongos will work very well. And of course, the rhythms you play on the set or on other hand drums can easily be adapted.

The first time I saw someone playing the djembe--actually two men with different-sized djembes--was on the lakefront in Chicago in 1994. They were playing pretty much what I just described, but they were cookin'! They played so fast and strong that, from a distance, their rhythm sounded like that of a high-school drumline (and this was late one summer evening!). And that's what hooked me on djembes...

1DB, it is possible to notate hand drums, but as you point out--and as we both know--you don't ever play the same piece of music exactly the same way twice. That's the cool part of it. To put it another way, playing a set is like making a pencil sketch of a picture. Hand drumming is like painting that same picture in wild, vibrant colors...both are pictures of the same object, as seen from totally different viewpoints.

jobby, go kick *** with your "new" old djembe, and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    1DB, you beat me to it, man!
    Soryy BB, I could'nt help myself. Whenever I sign on, this is the first place I look and if somebody's posted, I got to check it out. You know how it is...

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    To put it another way, playing a set is like making a pencil sketch of a picture. Hand drumming is like painting that same picture in wild, vibrant colors...both are pictures of the same object, as seen from totally different viewpoints.
    That is a great analogy! Can I quote you on that?
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Djembe newbie

Permission granted!

It's been said that drummers are more relaxed about sharin' ideas with their brother and sister drummers than other musicians--and I think hand drummers are the most relaxed of them all...

'cause we really are bongo brothers (and sisters)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Djembe newbie

A look at Youtube can be entertaining as well as instructive for beginner basics just type in djembe and go from there. Some are downright hilarious to watch.

User Info Menu

Have a look at "bongo love". There not bad. They have myspace, type it in and have a look man
    Our weapons were our instruments
    Made from timber and steel
    We never yielded to conformity
    But stood like kings
    In a chariot that's riding on a
    Record wheel

User Info Menu

Originally Posted by bongobro
    To put it another way, playing a set is like making a pencil sketch of a picture. Hand drumming is like painting that same picture in wild, vibrant colors...both are pictures of the same object, as seen from totally different viewpoints.
    Dude! I love it! I love playing drum set, but skin on skin is where its at baby! One with the drum!

Jobby, I'm sure there are a lot of great you tube vids that can help you out. Check out your local scene and try to find out if there are any weekly drum circles going on. Like bongobro said, we hand drummers are always open to sharing ideas, so get out there and don't be afraid to ask someone. The best way to learn is to watch and play with others. And if you are really serious about it, try looking for a teacher. A few years ago I posted an ad on craigslist looking for a Djembe teacher. A guy emailed me and we met up at a coffee shop and discussed and I ended up taking lessons from him for a few months. I learned a lot of traditional technique and rhythms and just had a blast jamming out with him every week. I've since had a couple other Djembe teachers, as well as studied various other hand drums and latin, brazilian, and african instruments, and was even apart of a West African Ensemble for a while. But all it took to get started was that simple want ad on craigslist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Hey Jobby, it's nice to see we're starting to get more hand drummers in here.
    That makes at least two of us!
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."