Thread: Purchasing a Kit

User Info Menu

Default Purchasing a Kit

Hey guys, I've new the this forum, been drumming for about 5 years, and drum for my schools jazz band, as well as some minor studio work on the side. I currently have a Yamaha dtxpress IV sepcial electric set, with an iron cobra double pedal (flexi glide). The kits not too bad, however I really do need a acoustic kit for overall tonal development, and as well something to bring to gigs and what not. I've been contemplating selling the kit and purchasing an acoustic. Now, does this sound like a good idea, or should I just keep the electric AND as well buy an acoustic kit, just so i have both. If I sell the yamaha, ill have enough money right away to buy a new kit, but if i keep it, I'll have to work through the summer and save up.

In terms of kits, I really like DW, Tama, yamaha (ayotte but too pricey for me). I need something to play jazz on, but not just limited to exclusively jazz. I really want to go with paiste when choosing symbols, and have planned out the overall size of my desired kit. Basically, snare, bass, 1 rack tom, 2 floor toms, 2 crashes, splash, ride, china/trash, hi-hat. Do you guys think paiste might end up being to much money? I also like sabian, or zildjian K's.

To get an idea on how much i can really spend here.. If I sell the yamaha kit, Ill have however much i can make off of it, and as well anything more I will need once i decide on a kit. I'm not afraid to work to spend a good amount on a kit, but I'm not looking to spend and obscene amount.

Thanks in advance. Any help is much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Purchasing a Kit

Um I'd say go with a Tama. Look for used Starclassics on eBay and Craigslist and stuff and you can save lots of money. Also Sabian is better than Paiste no doubt about it. No but seriously, I don't like Paiste but I recognize that they make incredible-quality cymbals, so go ahead and buy them if you want. However I think Paiste is generally more expensive. If you want to save money on chinas and maybe splashes, look at Wuhan.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board.Tough decision.........do you have room for 2 sets? Will your folks let you keep 2 sets in the house ?Will your folks mind the extra sound coming from an accoustic set ?

If you end up getting th set you may want to check out craigslist or ebay for hi-end used cymbals to save some cash on new or check out the local music stores and pawn shops for a good deal on used .

User Info Menu

i had a pearl export growing up for 10 years and then purchased a gretsch catalina club and kept them both. its good to have variety in kits and be able to choose what set you want to use for what gig. as far as kits go, it is going to be all preference on what you want to use. i have been very happy with Gretsch, Pearl, and Yamaha. I use a Yamaha stage custom maple at school and that has been a very versatile kit. I have 3 paiste cymbals and love all of them.

my .02

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Also Sabian is better than Paiste no doubt about it.
    Hmmm....

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

ThePloughman Guest

If you want to play Ayotte........look for it used. There are great deals to be had.

Really.

I paid more for my cymbals than I did for the drums.
    I paid more for the DW hardware on this kit than I paid for the drums.

User Info Menu

get a gretch

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Welcome to the board.Tough decision.........do you have room for 2 sets? Will your folks let you keep 2 sets in the house ?Will your folks mind the extra sound coming from an accoustic set ?

If you end up getting th set you may want to check out craigslist or ebay for hi-end used cymbals to save some cash on new or check out the local music stores and pawn shops for a good deal on used .
    I've talked with the parents, and they are very supportive when it comes to music. They have no problem with me getting an acoustic kit, and I may be buying some sound proofing pads for the room I would play in. The room in which the drums would be in can't be completely remodeled for my drums, but some sound proof blankets could be hung when i play. I really do like the yamaha maple customs, and the tama starclassic is something thats been in the back of my mind. I'll be checking out my local tom lee, and long and mcquade soon. The tom lee is HUGE, and has a awesome drum floor. I'll do some eye shopping and see whats available there.

Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

There are no issues with my parents regarding noise, they are very supportive actually. (I guess you have to be if your son decides to play the drums). I'll be checking my local tom lee (got a really big store downtown that has an awesome floor for drums) and long and mcquade just to see what some prices are. However, there is one issue. I don't need to COMPLETELY soundproof the room the kit will being going in, because its actually also a wreck room used once in a while, but maybe i'll get some soundproofing pads/blankets that hang on the wall? Anyone have any suggestions for some easy soundproofing tips?

User Info Menu

slingerland.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Mapex Meridian
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Keep the e-set!

As for acoustic drums, we often call this a jazz set and that a rock set etc... Point is you can play any kind of music on any kind of set.

Buy the one that tickles your fancy. Once you are at a certain price range they are all good!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Shrapnel, if you enjoy the Yammie e-kit, I would agree with you keeping it and working toward the purchase of the acoustic kit. Sounds like you will need all the hardware (excluding the bass pedal) that an acoustic kit will require, along with the cymbals, and that will run more than you might expect, so go into this with you eyes wise open about the cost, because the getting into pro quality cymbals can cost as much as the kit - which is why people have advised finding them used whenever you can. You just have to know about watching out for keyholing and cracking when looking at used cymbals. I bought my used cymbals in local music stores. It's a little more expensive than craigslist, but I had more protection and could take my time in evaluating the cymbal for the sound I wanted.

Let me suggest that a great kit to consider might be the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, since you are thinking jazz, because the warmth of the maple shells would be good for jazz. It's an intermediate kit, but it has great bang for the buck.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

never sell your practice kit for money to upgrade, youll end up losing money in the long run to pay for the bigger expenses
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments