Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading sheet music

User Info Menu

Default Reading sheet music

Do you have to be able to read sheet music? What I mean is, could someone just play long enough to where they just know what to play and when and how to play it based on their knowledge of a song?

When a pro or a seasoned player like most of you guys wants to play a song do you need the sheet music or do you just practice to the song until you have it all down. I have noticed sometimes its hard to tell what the drummer is playing in a song without seeing a video.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reading sheet music

Most of us here learn songs from ear; however, reading music is a good idea, I think most of us have dabbled with it during our playing. If you want to get good soon, buy Ted Reed's Syncopation For The Modern Drummer; got lots of workouts and exercises in there that'll test you.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

a lot of stuff i try to play by ear or a "feeling" i get of the song.

but then when it comes to playing with the big band at college here reading music is a must in class for all the hits and breaks.

it would be good to develop feelings you can get in songs to just play along to along with being able to read music competently

User Info Menu

It depends on the style of music you're playing and/or how far you want to take the drums. To really compete on a higher level, you will need to know how to read music well.

Here's an article I found on the drumbum site about reading music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    It depends on the style of music you're playing and/or how far you want to take the drums. To really compete on a higher level, you will need to know how to read music well.

Here's an article I found on the drumbum site about reading music.
    Love the article.
    Last edited by Reverend D.; 05-04-2009 at 04:12 PM.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

At least be able to read tabs and charts.

User Info Menu

I usually play by ear with the jazz band, but some songs really do require you to at least know where important shots are, solo sections/breaks ect.. I'd definitely say I need to become stronger at reading sheet music though.

User Info Menu

I fround it interesting that the Fall issue of TRAPS had a full story interview with Terry Bozzio. He told of his audition with Frank Zappa and how he got the gig. Quite simple, Terry knew how to read sheet music. He had the "Chops" but so did the other 50 or 60 drummers auditioning as well. Frank had passed out a chart and Terry looked it over and told Zappa that he knew what the rhytmic figures were but that it would take some work to play them up to speed. Terrey went on to explain that he was astonished that so many drummers auditioning were failing. Frank would simply say, Sorry, no. Next. As Terry listened, he realized what those others were doing but, more importantly, not doing. They were trying to impress Frank and his band and failing miserably. Terry decided that, instead of doing the same thing, he would concentrate on LISTENING to the band and to play according to what he heard. Zappa, impressed by what he saw from Terry simply said that he could have the gig if there wasn't anyone else wanting to try. No one did. The point of all this is that in order to have that kind of skill, listening and molding your playing to fit the music, a drummer must know how to read the music and draw from that. Listening alone is better than nothing but the ability to handle diverse time signatures requires more skill. In my band, 18 pc. Big Band, we only have time for one 2 - hour rehearsal each week. The music is passed out and my expectation is that I won't have to spend to much time working the band on any one chart. And that goes for me as well... I have to "Drive" this engine and the band has to be able to depend on my ability to keep them together. Reading music is just one part of the equation...you also have to understand the Form and Structure of the music.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

In my opinion, reading music isn't necessary, but it's definitely a nice ability to have. Lots of musicians are self-taught and don't know anything about the technical stuff.

I can't read it at all, but I'm quite good at learning songs by just hearing them. Also, I've never had difficulty creating drum parts for songs my band have written. So all in all, should you learn to read? If you feel you want to, then go for it by all means. But I don't think it's a make-or-break kind of thing when it comes to your drumming career.
    Last edited by matthew62593; 05-05-2009 at 07:37 AM.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Well, it's your opinion and you're certainly welcome to it.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Right, and please don't take it as me trying to belittle anyone else's opinion, I think learning to read music is great and a real asset, but I was taking the question as "is it absolutely necessary" to be able to read sheet music, which I personally believe it isn't.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Learn to read music. Seriously, it makes learning new stuff much easier. There are often parts of a song that are really difficult to just listen to and figure out. While many players can do it, as testified above, it's much easier if you can look at a piece of sheet music, and then try to play it. It really doesn't take that much extra time to learn to read, so why not do it? Believe me, you'll spend waaaaaay more time getting good at playing than you will getting good at reading.

***EDIT***Tom, just read the article you posted. Yea, that's what I was trying to say.
    Last edited by LagerHead; 05-05-2009 at 08:28 AM.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I can read sheet music very well but never have for drumming. I've been thinking about trying it but that would require going out and buying some and I'm a major procrastinator. You can learn almost anything by ear but reading music can make it easier I suppose.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

i still go to drum lessons cos im only 15 and everythin im taught my teacher writes it down. This means my sightreading is very very good but i never really learn a song this way. I usually sit down and listen to it and if im unsure of certain parts, i just ask my drum teacher os watch videos of them playing it so i know what to play! But i would definately learn to read music, it makes you a better player in the long run and gives you a better understanding of music and how it works (if u kno wat i mean).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Full-Force View Post
    Do you have to be able to read sheet music? What I mean is, could someone just play long enough to where they just know what to play and when and how to play it based on their knowledge of a song?
    I think drummer said it best. It depends. if the goal of your drumming is to jam with friends in your own band for enjoyment, then no; it isn't necessary. If you want your drumming to become a true career and method of income then yes; it is necessary.

See Frank's story about Bozzio again. There were 50 other guys with chops just as good. He got the gig because he could read music.

'Nuff Said.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Buddy Rich didn't read music.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Hmm interesting subject. I do believe that you can play drums with out having to read music, however i do believe that you should. I've been reading music since i was 3 years old so that's all i know. From my perspective, being able to read music has always been another tool in helping me learn AND create new grooves and fills. Also, i do think to a degree it's a respect for the art, but that's more of a personal opinion. I would suggest learning how to read sheet music because one, it's really not that hard, and two, it's a great tool for teaching your self new grooves. That way you can break down a beat nice and slow and literally it becomes a math equasion that will train your mind where the notes are. It's a beautiful thing ha ha!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

a drummer should be able read music, including trebel and bass clefs, musical terms (mezzo forte, fortismo, sofroanzo etc..), and accent marks. i learned how to play in a comcert orchestra, and jazz band, and i play alot of timpiani and xylophone, metallaphone, chimes etc... it makes me a better musician as i can really figure out what the bands doin when im play kit and work with that like my really good friend is trombone 1 in our jazz band and for his solos i base my comping on his accendet high notes and crensedo with him. it give you added depth at playing drums as i understand wht the band is doing. thats just how i view it, as a drummer is a musician and should be fluent in musical therory. and it makes me be able to relate to my fellow musicians better. it shocks some ppl when i play with other groups that i understand that stuff... there not used to a drummer being able to understand that.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Ha ha, agreed, unfortunatley drummers can tend to be labled as ones who don't know how to read music. Although, there is a difference between drums and percussion. I too played percussion and learning how to read music is a must in that situation.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

I read well enough to learn from books or to figure things out. I can not sit down and play from sight.

sometimes I will transcribe difficult sections of a tune just to help me figure it out.

But for the most part I play for the song by ear.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    I fround it interesting that the Fall issue of TRAPS had a full story interview with Terry Bozzio. He told of his audition with Frank Zappa and how he got the gig. Quite simple, Terry knew how to read sheet music. He had the "Chops" but so did the other 50 or 60 drummers auditioning as well. Frank had passed out a chart and Terry looked it over and told Zappa that he knew what the rhytmic figures were but that it would take some work to play them up to speed. Terrey went on to explain that he was astonished that so many drummers auditioning were failing. Frank would simply say, Sorry, no. Next. As Terry listened, he realized what those others were doing but, more importantly, not doing. They were trying to impress Frank and his band and failing miserably. Terry decided that, instead of doing the same thing, he would concentrate on LISTENING to the band and to play according to what he heard. Zappa, impressed by what he saw from Terry simply said that he could have the gig if there wasn't anyone else wanting to try. No one did. The point of all this is that in order to have that kind of skill, listening and molding your playing to fit the music, a drummer must know how to read the music and draw from that. Listening alone is better than nothing but the ability to handle diverse time signatures requires more skill. In my band, 18 pc. Big Band, we only have time for one 2 - hour rehearsal each week. The music is passed out and my expectation is that I won't have to spend to much time working the band on any one chart. And that goes for me as well... I have to "Drive" this engine and the band has to be able to depend on my ability to keep them together. Reading music is just one part of the equation...you also have to understand the Form and Structure of the music.
    Frank, while I'm not arguing your point that reading music is of definite value, the story you quoted doesn't indicate to me that the reading music ability is what got him the gig.

You said that he concentrated on listneing to the band and the owrking within that. The music that was being handed out, (i wasn't ther, and haven't read the article, so I'm just going off your post) suggests that this was the sheet music for the band itself, not the drums specifically. Again, while an excellent skill to have, as if you can read guitar or piano sheet music, you cna use that to get an idea of what the soung will be like before you hear/p[lay it - BUT to the point fo this thread (as is my undertsanding) drumming sheet music would the focus here, and like I said, based on the story, it was more his ability to listen and play according to the song and rest of the band. This comes down to that all important ability to listen to and feel the music, something that not every drummer has most definately - but has nothing, IMO at all to do with an ability to read music.

That being said, I am able to read drumming sheet music to an extent, enough to use it if I want to study something particular, like for example back when I was learning some Metallica stuff, i wanted to know them exactly as Lars did them - so i used the the music books that they had released. That way I knew how to play the song (For Whom the Bells Toll) as Lars had actually written it - and that's how I played it.

I was almost able to sihgt read back then - maybe shoudl pick that habit up again - it'll make my learning books eaiser to work through.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Being able to read music/charts can open doors otherwise closed to you.I think there's a certain extent of reading that all drummers should know,key word *should*.There's plenty of great drummers out there that can't read music, and probally never took any formal lessons that are unbelievable players.But, there's a lot more great drummers that do read music and have had the trainning.My wife sent me an e-mail today for a National act looking for a drummer for a tour.The first thing it says is *be able to read charts*..There's probally a bunch of guys out there that can play this bands type of music way better than me with a true feel for that type of music, and love for the music, but,I'ld (just use'n myself as an example) would get the gig because I can read music/charts no problem and they can't.How far do you as a drummer want to take your drumming is the big question with being able to read.But I still feel everyone should learn to read a little bit to make their playing better for them, not anyone else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Buddy Rich didn't read music.
    Buddy was in a situation where the band was built around him and what he played. However, he could read. In one interview he said that when presented with charts, he would often look at the Lead Trumpet part to see the actual figures they were playing, and build his part around that.

For Many situations it isn't essential, but it will always be a useful tool to have. For instance, I recently joined a pub Rock type band. I got a set list of the songs they play, jotted charts out, and by the first rehearsal I was able to nail the songs. Far better and quicker than trying to learn 30 songs.

Many jobs you just can't do without sight reading. EG, Often I would walk onto a ship at 6.00 pm, Start playing the first tune of the 45 minute Dance set at 7.00 PM, have a 15 minute break before the first Click track show at 8.00 and so on all night. Only just time to find out where the, "Black Ice," was on the charts, then "click, click, click, click, 1,2,3,4, and you're in. With over 1000 people in the theater, each paying a LOT of money to be there. With fully choreographed dance routines etc, you'd better be able to read.

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Buddy was in a situation where the band was built around him and what he played. However, he could read. In one interview he said that when presented with charts, he would often look at the Lead Trumpet part to see the actual figures they were playing, and build his part around that.

For Many situations it isn't essential, but it will always be a useful tool to have. For instance, I recently joined a pub Rock type band. I got a set list of the songs they play, jotted charts out, and by the first rehearsal I was able to nail the songs. Far better and quicker than trying to learn 30 songs.

Many jobs you just can't do without sight reading. EG, Often I would walk onto a ship at 6.00 pm, Start playing the first tune of the 45 minute Dance set at 7.00 PM, have a 15 minute break before the first Click track show at 8.00 and so on all night. Only just time to find out where the, "Black Ice," was on the charts, then "click, click, click, click, 1,2,3,4, and you're in. With over 1000 people in the theater, each paying a LOT of money to be there. With fully choreographed dance routines etc, you'd better be able to read.

Andy
    You done the cruises too eh!! oh what a joy. Broaden your horizons peeps learn to read, even if you never get to use it professionally it will give you a fuller understanding of music.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

its good to know what your playing and why