Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
Well we had practice tonight and as expected our guitarist proceeded to show up with 2 friends, a 5th of run and six pack of beer. Now, I'm not against people having a couple drinks during practice, I have maybe 1 or 2 but it's just not my thing anymore.

Our guitarist however, cant seem to go through a 2 hr practice without getting hammered. I have jammed with my bass player alone and it's great, we get together, get right down to business and really work on the songs. When we have Chris with us we get nothing done.

Tonight was the last straw, he was busy drinkin, chowin down some burgers, goofin off with his friends and we end up playing the same 4 songs we were working on last week. I said "did you learn the songs that I gave you from last week?" he says "nah, man I just really didnt get around to learning them"

I should have sent him packin after the first time he got drunk at practice but I like the guy and I let it go. Now, it's becoming a problem and I figuer if he cant make it through a 2 hr practice he's never going to make it through a 4 hr gig at a bar.

our bass player does admit that he's borderline alcoholic but he shows up, has a few beers, doesnt get wasted and stays focused on what we're doing.
I think the other issue is the rest of the band are all in their mid 30's-40 and the guitarist is 22.

So I hate to do it but he's out of the band. I didnt feel like discussing it with him tonight and we have practice again tomorrow so i felt kinda guilty when he said ok, man I'll see you tomorrow. I told the bass player "no we wont, he's done"

have any of you had an issue like this?
Yes but it was years ago and the problem was drugs lead and singer were into them the rest of us not so it did end in break up. Sad thing was we were on our way