Thread: Just a little debate, opinions anyone?

User Info Menu

Default Just a little debate, opinions anyone?

Ok, Well, Im new here, and ive been a drummer for about a year, but I didnt really get into them till about fall,

Anywho, I have a excel kit (yes, Excel=grabage I know)

But anyway, I re-did the kit with remo rock heads, new stands, and new cymbals, well Im starting to de-bate with myself now, becuase it always help to be prepared

For my birthday, Im planning on getting another bass sound in there. My first thought was a PDP double bass pedal for about 100$ and then using the money ive gained and buying another tom, and a snare

But then my little corner is crowded, Ill never be able to fit a double bass extension through unless i get used to something new, then I thought about a double bass period.

Now I dont know if I would get 1 or 2 basses... I would probably have a hard time getting one bass tuned up with the other (If you cant tell Ive never tuned my bass before, just stuffed it with pillows and sailed away)

Once you add up the pedals, it would be 175-250$ depending on how many basses I buy, But if I did this option I wouldnt be able to add on a snare and tom like I wanted, but it would leave me more room to expand in the long run

So after giving you a "small" story about my dilemma...

My questions to you

Would it be possible to tune 2 basses up, if that even matters
    And which option sounds better? Since nobody I know that I ask knows anything about drums, I hope some of you may be able to help me

Thanks

User Info Menu

When you have 2 bass drums you tune them both differently ones gonna be deeper than the other. only a slight difference though

User Info Menu

If you have 2 bass drums made by different companies, they will sound VERY different. You can tune 2 bass drums of the same model to about the same pitch, but not 2 distinct bass drums.

If you spend the money on a good quality double pedal, this will allow you to get a consistent sound - and you can keep the pedal if/when you move to a better drumkit. If you buy a double pedal like the Pearl Eliminator (which can separate to be used as 2 single pedals) then you're set up for 2 bass drums if/when this happens.

As for the snare/tom. It depends on what you want to do. If you like music with a lot of double bass, then it pays to start early (you can live without too many toms and just adapt to what you've got). But if you're more into mainstream rock and the like, I honestly wouldn't bother too much.

User Info Menu

I would just buy a good Double Bass Pedal,Because really for most modern rock You don't need alot of toms.I have 2 toms and a floor tom,And usually all I ever use is 1 tom and floor tom.So really You don't need alot of toms.I would probably buy a better snare than what have now.Thats just my opinion though...I also wouldn't bother with the 2 bass drums,I would just buy the double bass pedal which would be alot easier to use than 2 bass drums.Trust me carrying around 2 bass drums to shows is hard work.To answer Your question about the tuning.You can tune them about the same if there the same model/make.If not they will sound 100% completely diffrent...Well I hope everything works out for You.If I can reccomend a Double Bass pedal it would be the Tama Iron Cobra double pedal...

User Info Menu

Im not planning on dropping of this drumkit for a while, my current plan is to keep building onto it before college (wont have to worry about a car, you have to be 18 to have a license for kids my age, well their still debating but its basically won over)

But i just wanna add onto it, then maybe when i get older and a established career, store it up somewhere, or pass it down the line before getting another, but so far everyone here says a double bass pedal would be the best bet, does anyone know anything about snares now? A good one, for like a rock style drummer?

User Info Menu

It's all personal preference.I prefer a deeper snare around 6.5X14.I WANT a Ludwig Hammered Brass Snare (6.5X14).I currently have a 3X13 Maple piccolo for sale,And I am Using the 5X14 snare that came with my set.Like I said it's all what kind of sound You like.I play Rock too..Well mostly Post-Hardcore/Emo/Hardocore..But yea I prefer Brass snare drums....

User Info Menu

My son has a Pork Pie Pig Light that is a great all-around rock snare, IMO. I think it was a bit under $200. It sounds great and looks super cool.

http://www.porkpiedrums.com/html/snares.html

User Info Menu

but so far everyone here says a double bass pedal would be the best bet,

a double bass would be the best bet. may i suggest the iron cobra.

User Info Menu

Iron Cobra, Eliminator, anything by DW, ... all the name brand double-pedals are fine. Hell, I've got a Pearl Eliminator and a cheaper Sonor double pedal, I use them both. They're both fine.

I think that people get too caught up in the 'this one is better than that one' thing with double-pedals.

User Info Menu

i really need better tom toms
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

I have a double bass kit but I have been playing 40 years.When you can play single bass as good as you can then get a double pedal or better yet a double bass kit. Most people who go straight to double bass never really learn how to use their high hats like they should. Invest that money in the best single pedal you can find or some new cymbals. Your playing will be better for it!

User Info Menu

Well, Im gonna buy some cymbals on my own, right now im working with ZHT's but once i get a job (hopefully this summer, pizza place down the street hires at 14) im gonna bring home some Zildjian A customs, and eventually work on a double bass