Thread: Drum Making

User Info Menu

Default Drum Making

Hey guys

I was recently reading an article about drum making, and was very intrigued by it. I did some research and was suprised to find out that its possible and fairly easy. I was looking at a site called www.drumMaker.com. And I was thinking about making my own snare drum, because I'm not happy with the one I own now.

Any suggestions on what wood, finishes, wires, lugs. Like what would you make if you could, because I'm new to the whole idea of building your own drums and the different sounds of the different woods. So when I get it I want it to be really good sounding. So any help is appreciated, tell me your dream snare or any drum for that matter that you could just use drumMaker for you needs, and any tips and what I should think about when buying the drum would be greatly appreciated also.

Also if anyone has ever done this before, any tips on how everything was put together and how the you took your parts and made it a drum would be great too, cause as I said I'm 100% new to the idea.

Thanks everyone

Amp
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Cool Drum Making

Hey, amp!

What sound do you want out of your snare? Do you want a deep sound or a higher-pitched "crack" when you're playing?

If I were designing my own snare, I'd go for a metal-shelled piccolo snare (because I like a sharp "crack" sound out of my snare and, in a pinch, rimshots on a piccolo can sound almost like those on a timbale).

Now as for the toms, I'd use maple; to me, the toms are supposed to be deep and "tough" sounding. As far as lugs and hardware go, eight-lugs all the way...it may be a little more complicated to tune, but at the same time the tension is more evenly distributed around the heads and the rims.

Color? That's your call, bro'...mine would be stained in a way that would harmonize with the maple; dark red or dark brown...

Doggone it, now you got me wanting to design a set!

Good luck, amp!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck