Thread: flashkicking

User Info Menu

Default flashkicking

i have a question about triggered drums and wondered if anyone could help. recently ive been doing research on all things e-drum and wondered if anyone knew about "double triggering" to much extent. it might be considered cheating what i was thinking, but is it possible to set your bass drum trigger with such high sensitivity that it will actually go off twice for every one stroke?(im gonna call it flashkicking for lack of a cooler word) i was just thinking if it is how much faster i could do double bass strokes, hahaha. lemme know
    Last edited by Russ; 05-19-2009 at 05:55 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: flashkicking

An interesting, creative thought Russ. You would have to be able to control it to get it to work. That would be the hardest part. I don't think of it as cheating. If you could learn to control it, you would be the first to do it and probably have everyone else in amazement. That said; I wouldn't waste my time on it. But that's just me.

User Info Menu

I have no experience with triggers to help you here Russ, but I think it's awesome that you're thinking so creatively. This may, or may not, become an answer for you, but if you keep thinking in terms of possibilities, you will blaze trails into interesting places.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

maybe then i could keep up with you guys haha
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Double triggering is something people try to avoid, not cause... That isn't really practical either, because you could only play at the bpm which corresponds to the interval between the two hits. Not to be a jerk, but terrible idea.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Limzz is right - the problem here is that you actually can't control the timing the of the second trigger. Unless you were triggering a double sound effect as opposed to geting the trigger to go off twice, it would be incredibly innaccurate and inconsistent.

Now on the other hand if you had your trigger set to cause two hits sounding for each stroke - that's a different story, but again, your limited by the timing/tempo issue, as you can't dynamically adjust the delay between the 1st and 2nd sounds while playing. Additionally what about when you just wanted a single kick, not double strokes (which is effectively what your trying to create)?

If you want blinding speed (without the hard work, discipline and time involved in getting it), the better option is those triple kicks that Sticks uses, or get two of those other single pedals that is actually a double pedal in one and just go nuts.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

so, avoid double triggering because its not a constant variable, seek to trigger two hits for every one stroke(although it wont always hit at the right time), and look into some kind of triple bass pedal?

what if you run two triggers per kick? what if you set it up each trigger on the kick to go off twice for every once? could i get quadruple bass? and then what if i put that one foot double pedal on it too, would that get me to octo bass? and then run that setup on two kicks for double octo bass? so like 16 times as fast as cannibal corpse?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have a lexicon effects processor i use with my kit when miced. You can place an effect on your kick drum that will repeat the hit. You can set the tempo with the tap tempo button. You can use a seperate switch pedal to turn the effect on and off. It would take a complete other skillset to pull it off but it could work cause ive done it using a double pedal to double up each hit. Works great in the studio but would be a real butt to pull by yourself live. If you got a good sound guy to tap the effect in when you want it then it could work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    I have a lexicon effects processor i use with my kit when miced. You can place an effect on your kick drum that will repeat the hit. You can set the tempo with the tap tempo button. You can use a seperate switch pedal to turn the effect on and off. It would take a complete other skillset to pull it off but it could work cause ive done it using a double pedal to double up each hit. Works great in the studio but would be a real butt to pull by yourself live. If you got a good sound guy to tap the effect in when you want it then it could work.
    Yep - there ya go - pretty much what I was thinking. I didnt realise they had thought to allow you adjustable variable tempo settings that are adjustable dynamically like that - cool. but playing live would be unrealistic, unless you got one guy just sitting there the whole time adjusting it for you
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    what if you keep the effect on while playing with the left bass drum, but keep it off for the right, so you can play normal or fast as necessary?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    i have a question about triggered drums and wondered if anyone could help. recently ive been doing research on all things e-drum and wondered if anyone knew about "double triggering" to much extent. it might be considered cheating what i was thinking, but is it possible to set your bass drum trigger with such high sensitivity that it will actually go off twice for every one stroke?(im gonna call it flashkicking for lack of a cooler word) i was just thinking if it is how much faster i could do double bass strokes, hahaha. lemme know

I don't know If I'm the only one to ever think of this but...

If you have two bass drums, a lefty double pedal, and a single pedal it will work.

If your a righty,
    1. Double trigger the left bass drum and single trigger the right bass.
    2. Attach double pedal to left bass drum and single pedal to right. The slave pedal should be just to the left of the single pedal on the right.
    3. Now screw around with the left bass drum triggers untill you get them how you want.

That's all, now you have quadruple bass and a single bass.