Thread: Short Drummers?

User Info Menu

Default Short Drummers?

I've recently started drumming about five months ago I'm running into problems due to the size of my kit, versus the size of me. I thought my problems came from me learning technique and all that, but they're hindering me now.
    The way I have my kit set up is that all the drums are at their shortest setting, and my chair is at the highest. However, thats giving me a lot of issues. I've tried many different positions and arrangements for everything and none seem to work. Some problems are...
    I can't bring my hands high enough to comfortably play the hi-hats,
    I have to bring my legs either really close which makes it so that I can't play heel up very comfortably
    or really far so its tough to put pressure onto the pedals

I know that yamaha makes Jr. sized kits.. but I'm not sure if I want to replace my set. Any tips/suggestions on how I can fix this?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Short Drummers?

Hi, liza, welcome to Drum Chat.

I'm sorry if you've posted your kit somewhere already but if you have pictures of you sitting at it, it might help us to make suggestions of things to try. I'd say you might not have to replace your kit but you might consider a smaller bass drum.

That pretty much allows you to lower everything else to maybe a more reasonable height. I had a 20" ddrum bass drum kit and it was very compact yet sounded like a cannon. So no sound quality was lost. All my kits currently are 22" bass drums.

If you want to start fresh, dismantle your kit and set up your hats, snare and bass drum only. If you can't be comfortable with the basics, you really need to visit that aspect first and get it resolved. Then work up to the toms and cymbals.

If nothing is working with what you have, then you may have to consider replacing all or part of your kit. I hope this helps some...others will follow with great advice....
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Great advice Bish. I think the smaller bass drum would definitely make the most difference.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Yea, my friend who is 5'2 had some trouble too. He used to be 4'10 and was playing on a PDP fusion kit with a 22x20 bass drum. I am 6'2 and when I get on his kit, I can play it, but it is no easy task. What he does is just has everything down lower. Just lower your hi hats down. Give it a shot. Try mounting any toms offset to the left of the bass drum with a different mount. For example, here is my old kit with the toms offset from the bass drum.

Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Im 5'3 and I have some of the same problems. Instead of raising your throne lower it, that way you can angle the toms down instead of trying to reach up and hit flat toms, also you can reach the pedal better. If your mounting your toms on your bass drum a smaller bass drum helps. Mine is a 22" and I have no problems.

One thing I keep having problems with is my hi hat. I keep cracking myself in the wrists, but I have and old broken snare stand...so I cant lower it and I have an old broken hi hat stand, so I cant raise it. Im sure if I could lower the snare and raise the hi hat that problem would stop (that is why im buying new stands).

Just keep messing with stuff until it works.

User Info Menu

Small drummers are the best anyway; look at Keith Moon!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I think a small bass drum would allow you to make your kit more compact, but I would suggest you continue to fiddle with your setup until you get it how you want it. There are lots of great small drummers out there so don't get discouraged; Moon & Jordison to name a few.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Short Drummers?

I'm On The Verge Of Playin Out Again ....This Time Wif A "Pearl Rhythm Traveller" Kit....Bass Drum Is 20"x8"...
    I Have Not Hadda 20" Bd In Years And Find My Positioning Options Are Again Limitless....Phunny Dat Baby Booms Too!!!

I Suggest Tryin To Put Yer Toms Off Da Bassdrum As Suggested ....If Dat Doesnt Work Then Maybe Suggest A
    Smaller Bassdrum....Try Other Options 1st....my Old Chrome Slingerlands Gave Me Da Same Positioning Fits Till I Put Da Toms On A Floor Stand Left Of Da Bass Drum ....Dat Worked For Me On That Kit....Experiment And Leave Yer Options Wide Open ...

Another Thot....
    Sit On Yer Stool Away From Yer Drums(Make Sure You Are Relaxed And Comfortable...) Then Air Drum....Play Some Hihat/Snare Riffs And Then "Roll On Da Toms" Not Reaching Too High But What Feels Natural....Then Place Yer Drums Around That Thot ....So What If It Looks Wierd ?If It Feels Comfortable You Maximize Yer Effort(dont Thank Me Thank Billy Ward (DW Clinician/Joan Osborne)...Check Out His Dvds For More Info On That...

As To Da 20" Bass Drum... Years Ago... I Hadda "RIMS Headset" (Drumheads On Rims Mounting System-No Shells)
    Allowed Me To Place Drums About An Inch Above My Snare....I Had Power And Comfort I Never Knew Before!!!

Remember Other Than Rudiments,time,and Groove
    There Are No Rules In Drumming....Whatever Works For You Is All Dat Matters

GOOD LUCK ON YER SEARCH
    AND LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

hmmm, I cant offer any advice but at least I feel taller at 5'5"
    I have my throne at the lowest it will go, I think I'm actually going to have to bring it up higher because I feel all off balance and tend to try and lean back when I play heel up on the kick.

I have my toms set at about a 40 degree angle and that seems to work well for me, right now I have a couple straight cymbal stands and I think I could really do better with boom stands, the straight stands are kinda tough to position close in and sometimes it's a bit of a reach to the cymbals.

Phrogge had some good advice, just put you throne in a comphy position where you're sitting naturally, feet flat on the floor or if you plan on using a double pedal you may want to shoot for more of a middle of foot to toes one the floor.

The just reach out like you're playing air drums. find what feels natural and start placing your kit from there

User Info Menu

Liza, you've already gotten some excellent advice, and I would still suggest a picture of you behind the kit, as Bish suggested. With a pic, we could fine tune our thoughts for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

It would also help us to know your height and age...perhaps you are still growing? The throne should be lower so that you can sit more comfortably and keep your knees at a natural angle to the bass drum and hit-hat. A 20' to 22' bass drum would be the right size for the majority players and mounted toms can be altered to accomodate your hand positiion. As for the hi-hat being to high for you to play, have your dad or a friend, if not yourself, saw off a couple of inches of the adjustable shaft. Many drummers have to do that to lower the hi-hat cymbals. I'm 5' 10" and I had to do that with my hi-hat. In fact, I should cut another inch or two off. Hope this helps and a big welcome to the Forum.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

yeah that is some great advice, hey at 5'7'' i had some problems gettin everything set-up the way i wanted it, but i agree with the others

User Info Menu

The bass is the key and there are some playing 18" bass drums so that will get everything down also the fusion size toms help !

User Info Menu

Thanks all for the advice so far.
    I'm a little under 5'4, yet I'm 17 so I'm pretty much done growing. I'll get some pictures behind the kit tomorrow or something to show you guys what I mean. In response to the bass drum thing, I think a smaller one would have been better. I currently play a 22' so that could be an issue. Also, my toms are already at a steep angle but I suppose trying to angle them more won't hurt.

User Info Menu

Take a look at my friend Jenny, she is about your hight and see how she is set up,oh and she is an amazing drummer!

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Some good advise here so far . Another possibility too might be to customize your hi-hat stand if your hats are still too high , maybe cut the stand down a little .

Mr Tama has a good shot of his set with the toms , you may need to go to that option to get it where youre comfy playing .

Welcome to the board and good luck in your decision .

User Info Menu

My advice would be to angle your drums toward you more.
    Hope that helps, mate!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    Take a look at my friend Jenny, she is about your hight and see how she is set up,oh and she is an amazing drummer!

RM, I see that Jenny is playing a Gretsch kit! I like her already!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

I have definitely had some similar issues. I'm 5' 8" standing up straight, but I have short arms so I've had to get creative with the angle of the drums in the past. The previous post with the picture of the Tama set is a great example of a short person set up. Another thing I do to keep things tighter together is using a two leg hi hat stand, which is usually used for a double pedal set up. I use a single bass pedal, but I find that the two leg stand makes it easier to move things around with my snare drum stand, which always seemed to get tangled up, and had to be at the perfect angle and height. Mine has velcro under the pedal so it doesn't wobble. I think I'm tall enough to not have trouble with the height of the hi hats, but the distance of my reach to the toms and cymbals has always been an issue for me.
    I'm currently playing a set I bought from someone about half a foot taller than me, so I'm back to jerry riggin' it. This site is great though, so much good info!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Clarknova11!