Thread: Didn't make Tenor line :( :\ :P

User Info Menu

Default Didn't make Tenor line :( :\ :P

Well i tried out my hardest for the tenor line (quints) and I didn't make it. Most of this was there was only one spot open because the rest of the tenors were tenors the previous year. There will be about 3 spots open next year (we hav 4 tenors). Is there any advice you can give me so i can get better at tenors?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Didn't make Tenor line :( :\ :P

imma tryout for it on may 21. Im nervous...

oh well both spots are open soo....

User Info Menu

Tenors,
    Sorry you didn't make the line. I guess I would just try and soak up as much as you can in the next year, and see if you can incorporate some if into your playing. Also, when they are playing, make sure you are there listening. Show an active interest in what they are doing, and possibly volunteer to help out in other ways.
    Showing you can be a team player if you're not one of the starters, so to speak, speaks volumes about your personality and maturity level. While those alone won't get you a spot, it may help if there is a tight competition between you and someone else.
    And of course, practice, practice, practice.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Sorry you didn't make the tenor line. Are there any oppenings in the Bass line you could try for. Rudimental bass isn't all that easy, and would help you Hone your skills for tenor, and you would be around to hear and soak in the tenor parts. Even playing cymbals and participating that way would give you an edge for next year. Try to get a copy of the tenor music, attach 4 drum pads to a board in the same position as the quads your band is using (trace the layout on a large paper), and keep practicing for next year.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Two words...Quad Logic! It will change your life!
    “One of my few shortcomings is that I can't predict the future.”-Lars Ulrich.
    “If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.”-Neil Pert.
    “You don't get something for nothing
    You can't have freedom for free
    You won't get wise
    With the sleep still in your eyes
    No matter what your dreams might be”-Neil Pert.

TERROROUS TENORS

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear you did not make it, keep at it and like the others satated, try out for other slots.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    Well i tried out my hardest for the tenor line (quints) and I didn't make it. Most of this was there was only one spot open because the rest of the tenors were tenors the previous year. There will be about 3 spots open next year (we hav 4 tenors). Is there any advice you can give me so i can get better at tenors?
    Tough break ,the only thing I can offer is practice , ppractice , practice .Also I suggest while you are auditioning try to watch your posture and how you are holding your sticks etc , its all part of the show along with playing music .

Good luck next time around .

User Info Menu

Hang out with the tenor line this season. When you see them drumming on there own learn their parts, techniques, and warm ups.
    in the pocket

User Info Menu

Thx everyone for the support. It's not that i was bad, it's just that tenors is always the competitive area. 4 tenor sets n 6 competitors. It really was a shame, but at least i know everything that the drumline does every year (all the cadences) and gonefishin, thx for the reminder to bulk up a little. i still need to cuz im doin crash cymbs (which is actually amazing cuz we get to fill in parts like bass)
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kadwell_13 View Post
    Two words...Quad Logic! It will change your life!
    ive heard about that i might see if there's a website or if i can get it at a bookstore. Thx.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

i made the tenorline for my school this year, what i did is i practiced non-stop, i carried the music with me everywhere a went and anytime i had free time i whipped it out and tapped on whatever i could. Goodluck next year!

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    Thx everyone for the support. It's not that i was bad, it's just that tenors is always the competitive area. 4 tenor sets n 6 competitors. It really was a shame, but at least i know everything that the drumline does every year (all the cadences) and gonefishin, thx for the reminder to bulk up a little. i still need to cuz im doin crash cymbs (which is actually amazing cuz we get to fill in parts like bass)
    and 1 more thing!
    yeah tenors are very competitive we had 3 spots and 4 competitors, one thing i might say about bulking up is one week i could hold them for a while but by time we were done holding them up i was dying, i started to run everyday (just cuz i decided i wanted to start working out) and about a week or 2 later i could hold them up the amount of time i needed without a problem.
    running helped a lot for me.
    Last edited by gretsch; 05-21-2009 at 10:07 PM.
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I believe vic firth makes a set of tenor practice pads. There are 5 pads mounted in a tenor config. get your hands on those and just beat em
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Didn't make Tenor line :( :\ :P

Practice Practice Practice
    Better Luck Nxt Time
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

thanks everyone for the advice.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Didn't make Tenor line :( :\ :P

One slight edit, CB: "Didn't make Tenor line THIS year."

Sounds like you have a good reference library of advice already, so there's not much I can add to it except practice, practice, practice! LeftHandLead, great call on watchin' the drumline this year...watching what they do and how they do it could make a big difference next year!

Good luck, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have been, but one thing... I'm in the drumline, and I play Crash Cymbals, and Bass when a spot is open. So I don't really have much time to do that. I tried last year and my years in Junior High.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC