Thread: Drum mics

User Info Menu

Default Drum mics

Hey Everyone, I need to purchase some drums mics. want to get everyones thoughts on what kind to buy..ill need seven mics, 1 kick 2 toms 1 snare 1 hi hat and 2 overhead for playing live and outside venues as well..any brands to look at and also which ones to steer clear of. looking for a nice set but dont want to break the bank either..any thoughts? thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum mics

what's your budget?
    1994 Pearl Export 5-Piece w/ Stock Heads
    22 x 16 Bass Drum
    12 x 9 and 13 x 10 Rack Toms
    16 x 16 Floor Tom
    5 x 14 Ludwig Aluminum Snare Drum

Cymbals

14" Zildjian ZBT Hi-Hats
    18" Zildjian ZBT Crash
    18" Sabian AAX Metal Crash
    18.5" Sabian Chad Smith Signature Explosion Crash
    20" Sabian B8 Ride
    10" Agazarian Splash

Percussion
    Pearl Primero Cowbell

User Info Menu

sounds like you need a 7 piece mic kit. audix makes two 7 piece kits, both of different quality, shure makes a 4 pc kit, cad, nady, make 7 piece kits, and i think peavey makes a 5. digital reference and samson are some value priced, not overly expensive compared to the bigger names like sennheiser, audio technica, and akg. depends on what brand your into, id check out the audix fusion 7 piece kit cause you can find em cheap on places like ebay and craigslist.

basically- sennheiser, audio technica, akg, shure, audix, electro voice, neumann are the high priced quality mics;
    cad, nady, samson, digital reference are the less expensive alternatives to get you started, youll need a mixer that can work with them a little bit, but youll get a good sound as well
    Last edited by Russ; 05-04-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

From what I was told, the Samson kit's and those type aren't much different from just throwing low end vocal mic's on. I just ordered, but haven't received yet, the Shure 4 mic kit. We'll see how it works out!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drum mics

We Use Da "Audix" 7 Piece Pkg Dat Russ Is Talkin About At Da Studio And Im Impressed By Da Way These Ludwig Maples Record On Evry Track And Great Price Too....
    Everybody Has Their Own Opinions Im Sure ....Mic Choices Like Drum Choices Are Based On Many Things....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

As far as overhead condenser mic's, Sterling Audio is hard to beat for the money. I agree with the others on the Audix mic's. I have an i5 for the snare and a D6 for the bass, but I heard good things about the lower priced fusion series. Actually I would spend a little more on just two good condenser overhead mics, a snare mic such as a Audix i5 or a Shure SM57 and a bass drum mic such as a Audix D6 or a AKG D112. For playing live, this should do fine. Actually, I use this just for recording and it works well. A pair of good quality condenser overheads cover your toms and hi hat very well. Whatever you decide to do I hope it works out.
    Last edited by jrock; 05-09-2009 at 07:00 AM.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

I bought the Samson kit. So far all I've used is the kick mike run thru a bass amp (Our main pa is small and just didn't handle the kick freqs). I've been happy with the sound so far.

User Info Menu

my friend runs sennheiser md421's on his toms and floor tom, e604s for his snare, e914's for his hats and ride, and a e902 for his bass drum. words cannot express how it sounded, i practically melted.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

the audix fusion 7pc. is a great deal. equal at least to my shure pg series. and the audix clips work much better with RIMS mounted toms.

User Info Menu

I bought CAD's 7 piece kit last year as it was one of the cheapest I could find and I was on a very limited budget. I've been very satisfied with it thus far. It's not going to sound as good as a shure or audix set but it works well.

User Info Menu

if you get the cheaper mics, your going to have to mix them to where they sound as good as the higher end ones; whereas the more expensive mics dont need as much mixing to get to that point, so any way you mix them can have their already good sound changed around to make new types of sounds the others couldnt. its a no lose situation to buy the cheaper ones though.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments