Thread: Help!

User Info Menu

Post Help!

I have a snare drum tryout coming up soon but every time i preform i get really nervous. Any tips?
    Last edited by tarheeldrummer13; 01-11-2007 at 06:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey I havea VERY similar situation...i have tryouts the 18th! I get super nervous. So I usually tell my director that i get nervous, and he usually cuts me some slack. He knows that im a good drummer when im not nervous. Just try going over and over the material a lot so u really know yur stuff. I dont know...also try breathing!! I tend to think that that helps.
    "Playing drums is like making love. You can't be looking down seeing what's going on trying to get the flow right!" --Drumline

Drums are what keep the band together!

Hold up! Wait a minute! Let us put some drums in ti! Ya'll ain't ready for what we about to put down. The badest drumline in the land! What we are you can't smoke, you can't sniff it cuz we were born with it. Get ready to see how we put it down Dragons style! Drumline get your thing on! --Drumline (modified)

User Info Menu

im not sure how nervous you are, but i once read and have been told on numerous occasions that although noone likes nervousness it helps you preform much better. This is however not the case if your dripping sweat, knees quivering so much that you cant stand up nervousness. But generally when you have that queasy butterfly feeling you perform better, i dont know why but its the truth.

However try to take it this way, be happy about your nervous or try to enjoy it i know this sounds incredibly stupid but you dont get to have this feeling often and you only have it because you are worried you will screw up, but you get to do something you love right, and you need to trust yourself, if you can confident, you can still be nervous and you will perform fine (if that makes sense).

Whenever i feel nervous which is often (in fact i just came back from a basketball game 30 mins ago which i was totally nervous about) i try to enjoy it and perform to my best. I was high scorer of the game even tho i was so nervous. So just take it one beat at a time, enjoy your queasy feeling lol, and just do what you love.

The most important thing you have to remember is trust yourself, believe in your abilities and you will be fine

amp
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Just try not to worry, just be yourself even if your beign judged on something you can only be as good as you are and try not to think about it, just go and have fun. And like Amp said just trust in yourself, also try to relax alittle even though it can be hard.

User Info Menu

Yea, Dont worry about it, plus theres always a good side, If you dont get the snare, theirs always the toms

And dont worry about being nervous, jsut practice your rolls, and go do what you do, your a drummer, you can do this, you just have to know you can do it

User Info Menu

just dont think of it as a tryout just play it like youy would at home or something

User Info Menu

There's an old thing about picturing the audience sitting there in their underwear. It makes you laugh, you'll realize we're all the same at the end of the day, and it should help you lighten up.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

Thanks! That will help.
    Percussion is the pulse. With out a pulse, ya dead.
    GIRL DRUMMERS ROCK!!!

User Info Menu

no problem if you need anything else just look me up drop me a a message or leave me an email in subject leave your sign on name it there or did you mean toms advice