Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspending A Tom

User Info Menu

Default Suspending A Tom

I am probably going to buy a 14" x 14" floor tom to go on my Pearl Forum kit. I was wondering what the best ways to suspend it would be.

Would this work?

(Owens... we don't allow commercial links in DC. I started to link the picture for you but forgot to grab the pic before I deleted. You may post the pic if you'd like. - Welcome to Drum Chat - Tom)
    Last edited by drummer; 05-06-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Commercial Post

User Info Menu

Default Re: Suspending A Tom

Never tried that model, but it should do the job. The description does say 14".
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

They make mounts you can attach to a cymbal stand. I've got one for my 10" inch tom and it works great, and it would definitely hold a large drum.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

This is a floor tom though. so I need some kind of mount that will suspend it.

Will a pearl ISS mount work?

User Info Menu

They make an ISS for 14" and 16" drums.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Nah! Go with traditional legs.

all te best...

User Info Menu

if it's deisgnated as a floor tom - wont' it have legs??? maybe i'm just dumb...
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Hang It Dont Choke It
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Don't floor toms have...legs?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by limzz View Post
    Don't floor toms have...legs?
    I know that some kits, particularly mid range ones, will often do suspended, or mountable (using a clamp and arm from the cymbal stand) floor toms. But the forum isn't in that rnage I thought, so if it's a matching floor tom I would have thought it would have legs already.

If he's buying one that isn't a forum (like the rest of the kit) then it's gonna be difficult in my mind to get the right tune and sound because you'll be dealing with a different series.

User Info Menu

I have two DW kits, both have suspended 14 and 16 toms. After years I have gone back to legs. The suspended toms are just not stable enough. I can't hang my sick bag on it and the legs of the stand have to be in the perfect location.

I went to these. So I get the benefit of legs without choking the drum

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

The 14" x 14" floor tom I'm getting is a matching forum series tom.

I just think I would like it better if I mounted it to the right of my 12" and 13" rack toms. Im also planning on getting a matching 10" x 8" rack tom to go left of the 12" rack tom.

Another option is a 14"x 11" rack tom instead of the 14" x 14" floor tom.

So I would have these toms set up with the 14" x 14" floor tom (or 14" x 11" rack tom) positioned like a rack tom:

10" x 8", 12" x 9", 13" x 10", 14"x 14" (or 14" x 11")
    Last edited by Owens; 05-08-2009 at 01:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    The 14" x 14" floor tom I'm getting is a matching forum series tom.

I just think I would like it better if I mounted it to the right of my 12" and 13" rack toms. Im also planning on getting a matching 10" x 8" rack tom to go left of the 12" rack tom.

Another option is a 14"x 11" rack tom instead of the 14" x 14" floor tom.

So I would have these toms set up with the 14" x 14" floor tom (or 14" x 11" rack tom) positioned like a rack tom:

10" x 8", 12" x 9", 13" x 10", 14"x 14" (or 14" x 11")

NOTE: The toms I would add are underlined

Here is a link to a site that displays the individual forum drums you can get, but I would buy it from guitar center.

http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?cat=101
    Expect that link to be removed shortly - no commercial links on this site. One of the rules, although we know your intention is just to show us things, the blanket rule stops anyone abusing it.

I know what your saying, I played on a Yamaha stage custom that used a 14" x 14" suspended tom. I think we were just making sure you understood you didn't NEED to suspend it, as by default it would have legs.

I have to agree with rmendelbaum too - they do tend to shake around - ALOT. His option I think is the best one for both sound and stability, BUT that being said, using one that mounts like a rack tom means you can have it set in a smoother position to transition between your 13" and (i'm assuming you have a) 16" floor tom. If that's what your aiming for, a 14" by 11" rack style tom I reckon would be the way to go, and just using a clamp and standard tom arm off your cymbal stand will give you great positioning, and should be sturdier than a suspension system. Of course make sure your cymbal stand has a good wide stance to support the weight.

That's my 0.02

User Info Menu

Thank you for your advice.

If I had the 14" x 11" rack tom on my kit and put a 14" x 14" floor tom behind it, would there be enough difference in sound between the two? Would you reccommend I just add the two rack toms (10"x8" and 14"x11") and just have one floor tom (16"x16")?

User Info Menu

The difference in sound would be determined by your tuning, so yes. I'm personally more of a rack tom kinda guy but that last part is personal choice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I have two DW kits, both have suspended 14 and 16 toms. After years I have gone back to legs. The suspended toms are just not stable enough. I can't hang my sick bag on it and the legs of the stand have to be in the perfect location.

I went to these. So I get the benefit of legs without choking the drum

choking a drum because it has legs is marketing Malarky!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thank you for your advice.

If I had the 14" x 11" rack tom on my kit and put a 14" x 14" floor tom behind it, would there be enough difference in sound between the two? Would you reccommend I just add the two rack toms (10"x8" and 14"x11") and just have one floor tom (16"x16")?
    Well, to be honest, the different would be negligible I think. Let me clarify by saying that I dont' think the difference would be significant enough to warrant having both - BUT if you've got the money and it's what you want, by all means go for it. The depth difference will effect the level of resonance you get, while the pitch you attain can be identical, due to the same width. Personally, I wouldn't see the need for it. But this is MY opinion, you need to make up your own mind. If you get the chance, head down and hear what a 14x11 and 14x14 sound like side by side. If you can notice a signicant difference (aside fomr them using differnet head,s being differnet wood types etc..depending on your sample drums), then go ahead, otherwise, pick which one sounds like it's filling that gap between your 13" and 16" the best and go that way.

Overall man, none of us can tell you which setup will make you happiest. The thing I would be thinking, is do you want to invest this much time and money into a kit of this level, and not wait untill you have progressed further and are looking to upgrade the overall quality of your kit? Just a thought....

User Info Menu

I've decided that i will definatley want the 14"x11" rack tom before I want the 14"x14". However if there is enough difference in sound I will get the 14"x14" as well. The only problem is finding a place where they have a pearl forum 14"x11" and a 14"x14" in the same place and the same time.

Which one do you all think I should go for first, the 10"x8" or 14"x11"?

User Info Menu

I've decided that i will definatley want the 14"x11" rack tom before I want the 14"x14". However if there is enough difference in sound I will get the 14"x14" as well. The only problem is finding a place where they have a pearl forum 14"x11" and a 14"x14" in the same place and the same time.

Which one do you all think I should go for first, the 10"x8" or 14"x11"?
    Depends on your style of music. If your playing heavy sort of stuff, I would go the 14"x11" as it will fit in better with the deeper sound. If however your playing more pop or jazzy stuff, the smaller 10"x8" will be more effective right now for you to give you a greater rnage of sounds between your high tom and low (floor) tom.

That's what I think

User Info Menu

I found a list from pearl of all the forum drums they make.
    Toms w/I.S.S.
    8" x 7" w/I.S.S. FZ0807T
    10" x 8" w/I.S.S. FZ1008T
    12" x 9" w/I.S.S. FZ1209T
    13" x 10" w/I.S.S. FZ1310T
    14" x 11" w/I.S.S. FZ1411T
    16" x 13" w/I.S.S. FZ1613T

Floor Toms
    14" x 14" FZ1414F
    16" x 16" FZ1616F
    18" x 16" FZ1816F

Seeing the other drums they offer has changed my mind about buying the 10" x 8" and the 14" x 14" (or x11") toms, mainly because I play metal. I am trying to decide what toms (larger than the 13" x 10") I should get. My choices are based on these factors:
    1. Is there much difference in sound between the 13" x 10" and the 14" x 11"?
    2: Will the 16" x 13" sound good between the 13" x 10" (or 14" x 11") and
    14" x 14" (or 16" x 16")?
    3: Is it true that the 18" x 16" will be a pain to tune?
    4: Are roto (rotary) toms any good for heavy metal?
    5: Would a 10" x 8" to the left of my 12" x 9" be good, even for heavy metal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    choking a drum because it has legs is marketing Malarky!

all the best...
    +1 although i prefer the look of a mounted tom, plus i find it easier to place where you want it. If you go for the mounted tom make sure you get a decent stand. I had a 14" pearl tom off a cheap boom and it fell over if i so much as looked at it wrong. I have a 10" on ther now but its still quite unstable. When i save up the money i will get a decent stand.

User Info Menu

I found a list from pearl of all the forum drums they make.
    Toms w/I.S.S.
    8" x 7" w/I.S.S. FZ0807T
    10" x 8" w/I.S.S. FZ1008T
    12" x 9" w/I.S.S. FZ1209T
    13" x 10" w/I.S.S. FZ1310T
    14" x 11" w/I.S.S. FZ1411T
    16" x 13" w/I.S.S. FZ1613T

Floor Toms
    14" x 14" FZ1414F
    16" x 16" FZ1616F
    18" x 16" FZ1816F

Seeing the other drums they offer has changed my mind about buying the 10" x 8" and the 14" x 14" (or x11") toms, mainly because I play metal. I am trying to decide what toms (larger than the 13" x 10") I should get. My choices are based on these factors:
    1. Is there much difference in sound between the 13" x 10" and the 14" x 11"?
    2: Will the 16" x 13" sound good between the 13" x 10" (or 14" x 11") and
    14" x 14" (or 16" x 16")?
    3: Is it true that the 18" x 16" will be a pain to tune?
    4: Are roto (rotary) toms any good for heavy metal?
    5: Would a 10" x 8" to the left of my 12" x 9" be good, even for heavy metal?
    Questiosn 1, 2 and 5 are more about a personal preference and what YOU can hear and think - so no one can truley say. That being said, IMO there will be a difference between the 13" and 14" toms due to a idfferent pitch ability becuase of the diameter difference. Can you notice a difference between your 12" and 13"? If so, then it's safe to think the same between 13" and 14". Question2 cna only be decided when you hear them. Question 5 - IMO a 10" tom is always good, regardless of style, as it just gives you another option, kinda like a 6 strong bass - it's not necassary, but it opens up new avenues. Allot of metal drummers use them, Joey does, so does Danny Carey, so they deifnately have their place in metal.

For question 3 - The deeper the tom, the more resonance, the more resonance, the harder to tune - that's always been my experience. Some people dont' find this to be the case, but from what I've seen it's a pretty decent rule of thumb. An 18" x 16" will sound deep and loud, like a cannon, but unless you've got the right head and tuning, will just boom and boom like nothing else on the kit and sound out of place. Not saying don't get one - just be mindful. You never know - you may be able to tune it perfectly wihtout problem, and find you can't get the right sound out of a 10" or something instead.

For question 4 - this is really more of an 80's metal vs current metal thing I think. You don't see them much, but some guys out there use them, like Godsmack, but i think it's more for a percussion feel within their style than anything. I wouldn't put them in normally for metal but hey - whatever you like man. It's all about YOUR preference.

Larrysperf Guest

I am probably going to buy a 14" x 14" floor tom to go on my Pearl Forum kit. I was wondering what the best ways to suspend it would be.

Would this work?

(Owens... we don't allow commercial links in DC. I started to link the picture for you but forgot to grab the pic before I deleted. You may post the pic if you'd like. - Welcome to Drum Chat - Tom)
    Everything you need for racks and toms is on Gibraltar Site but Legs verse mount I feel the difference is very small so go ei ther way
    Last edited by Larrysperf; 05-13-2009 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I have a Yamaha kit with a 14x11 and 15x12 floor toms mounted on a single braced stand with an 18" crash, a 14" china and a stick bag on it and have NEVER had any wobbling or falling over.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

a 14x14 is a floor tom, why force it by trying to make it into a hanging tom? if you want a 14x11 as a rack tom that will work a lot better, but square sized drums generally only work as floor toms with legs
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments