Thread: Congas from 1 piece of wood...

User Info Menu

Default Congas from 1 piece of wood...

So this is definitely a long way out, but I've been looking at some congas I found online from an African drum site that are carved from 1 solid piece of wood like a djembe. They are also rope tuned like a djembe. They are extremely reasonable in price, ranging from $150-$250 per drum depending on size.

I'm really only interested in the shells, rope tuning is just way too much trouble for congas. So hopefully here in the near future I plan to buy a pair of these and strip it down and add some hardware to it. I've heard nothing but good things about solid shell congas, but most of the makers like Motherland are very pricey for a solid shell drum. This will also give me freedom to add whatever style side plates and crowns I want and really do a customization job on them and make them my own.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Congas from 1 piece of wood...

I've seen em! The guy I bought my gon Bop from the other night had a whole house of them that he brought back from Africa! He had small ones, big ones, Rope tide and some of them looked like they took a skin from an impala or gazelle that they streched over a tree trunk and hooked it on to what used to be the branches. That would be cool to hook up some tunable hardware to one, I bet it would sould sweet!
    L4C

User Info Menu

I have something that is akin to that, it is an Ivory coast Bougarabous. It is a solid shell carved from Iroko wood with calf skin head and rope tuning. It is kind of a cross between an ashiko and djembe in size and shape. I love this thing - i take with me when I want a portable warm conga sound without having to lug around the unweildy congas. I have had it for about 4 years now and I think I paid about $200 for it new.

---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Congas from 1 piece of wood...

Wonder if anyone's recorded the sound of that kind of congas? Would be cool to hear!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    I have something that is akin to that, it is an Ivory coast Bougarabous. It is a solid shell carved from Iroko wood with calf skin head and rope tuning. It is kind of a cross between an ashiko and djembe in size and shape. I love this thing - i take with me when I want a portable warm conga sound without having to lug around the unweildy congas. I have had it for about 4 years now and I think I paid about $200 for it new.
    Sweet drum man! Bet it sounds great, Ivory Coast is renown for its drums.

User Info Menu

I have always been interested in solid shell hand drums. I have been captivated since childhood with drum circles and especially drummers who make their own drums. Look around on the web you might be able to find just the shells. excited to see the results.