Thread: Can anyone help me?

User Info Menu

Default Can anyone help me?

Hey guys, new at this so please put up with me.

I play kit at church in Edinburgh as part of a what i would call a rock band. We have a Mapex Saturn Fusion kit which i have been using for the last 18 months and find it sweet. Really loving the warmness of the shells and punch which they give.

Anyway have just joined a sweet as funk / groove style band and unfortunately can't keep borrowing the kit (as much as i'd like to) as it may get damaged and so need to invest in a kit that i can tour and gig with.

A friend is getting rid of his pearl export, now i now this will not have near the same quality of sound but do you think it will suffice? Export kits i have had in the past were certainly easy to throw together with little effort.

Can anyone help me out with any ideas?
    Last edited by Weekid; 05-11-2009 at 05:33 PM.
    Cheers

Weekid

Drums - Mapex Saturn Fusion(Gingerbeer)(Remo Heads)
    10"x8" Tom
    12"x9" Tom
    14"x 11" Floor Tom
    22"x18" Bass Drum
    14"x6" Yamaha Custom Snare

Sabian XS Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can anyone help me?

Hey Weekid, welcome to Drum Chat! I don't have any experience with either of these kits, but many others here do. One thing I can tell you, is that i'm sure you'll be fine with an export. With the right heads and tuning, you can make any kit sound decent.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Can anyone help me?

Defcon Is Right....Good Heads,Good Tuning....Da Exports Will Pleasure You A Good Long Time....
    Trust Me Put An "EVANS Emad" On Da Bassdrum (Regardless Of Tom & Snare Head Choices)
    You'll Never Regret It....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Weekid - Welcome to DC. As said above, I'm sure you make it sound good. Also, if you're going to be playing live, you should be able to get some help from the sound guy. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weekid View Post
    Hey guys, new at this so please put up with me.

I play kit at church in Edinburgh as part of a what i would call a rock band. We have a Mapex Saturn Fusion kit which i have been using for the last 18 months and find it sweet. Really loving the warmness of the shells and punch which they give.

Anyway have just joined a sweet as funk / groove style band and unfortunately can't keep borrowing the kit (as much as i'd like to) as it may get damaged and so need to invest in a kit that i can tour and gig with.

A friend is getting rid of his pearl export, now i now this will not have near the same quality of sound but do you think it will suffice? Export kits i ahve had in the past were certainly easy to throw together with little effort.

Can anyone help me out with any ideas?
    OK , it will be much easier to put up with you if you promise not to wear your kilt in here......

As far as the Exports go , I have never owned a set but have heard several who have say they enjoy them .

Welcome to the board , and good luck in your decision .

User Info Menu

I played a Pearl Export for about 3 years, and a Mapex Mars Pro for about 7 (right up until last month). Not exactly the same situation, but I can definitely tell you that what everyone is saying is true. Proper tuning makes ALL the difference. There are some great videos on line that show you how to tune (if you don't know how). I didn't know for years, and when someone finally taught me, I was blown away by how terrible my drums sounded before they were tuned. One other thing I would say is that you should make sure you're getting the set you want, unless it's just a screaming deal. I looked for about 2 months, every day, on Craigslist until I found the right set.

User Info Menu

A Pearl Export kit can sound great if tuned properly. It should do the job just fine.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Cheers guys, helps a lot.

Have played a kit with a kilt on once for a wedding... depsite having awesome legs a reckon the true scotsman is still not ideal..... when you happen to be a drummer to!
    Cheers

Weekid

10"x8" Tom
    12"x9" Tom
    14"x 11" Floor Tom
    22"x18" Bass Drum

Sabian XS Cymbals

Larrysperf Guest

go ahead get them exports and good heads and you will do fine

User Info Menu

WeeKid, you've already gotten the advice that you needed, so I'll just say welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I Aint Sayin Nuffin About Yer Kilt.....
    Heck Ive Worn Clown Outfits,Bunny Suits(Wif Da Ears),
    Footie Pjs And So Much More...I Have No Room
    To Say Nuffin At All....'Cept Welcome To Drumchat....

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weekid View Post
    Cheers guys, helps a lot.

Have played a kit with a kilt on once for a wedding... depsite having awesome legs a reckon the true scotsman is still not ideal..... when you happen to be a drummer to!

..........good reply......you'll fit in quite well around here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    I Aint Sayin Nuffin About Yer Kilt.....
    Heck Ive Worn Clown Outfits,Bunny Suits(Wif Da Ears),
    Footie Pjs And So Much More...I Have No Room
    To Say Nuffin At All....'Cept Welcome To Drumchat....

Who said that dignity is overrated?

Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Can anyone help me?

Dignity???? Well hopefully everyone will be too busy checking out the beautiful Kit to be caring too much about checking out "my kit" ha ha ha,

Gonna get the export 2mrw then start on tuning, I have read the advise given to other poeple regarding tuning is there any particular advice for tuning this particular kit (rock set up not fusion)
    Cheers

Weekid

10"x8" Tom
    12"x9" Tom
    14"x 11" Floor Tom
    22"x18" Bass Drum

Sabian XS Cymbals

User Info Menu

I had a set of older Pearl Exports I used ti use to leave at the garage my band rehearsed in. I did not want to leave one of my expensive kits out in the garage.

I put Evans G1 clears on the bottom and G2 coated on the top, while they were not as nice as my other kits they did the job and sounded fine.

How much are they going to cost you and what comes with them?
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I have a set of Pearl Exports. I am an amateur. I just started playing with a band. I've been playing all of two years. My guitar players told me that my kit sounded great. I bought a drum-tuner a few months before I started playing with them. I have Remo Weatherking pinstripes on them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cubs947 View Post
    I have a set of Pearl Exports. I am an amateur. I just started playing with a band. I've been playing all of two years. My guitar players told me that my kit sounded great. I bought a drum-tuner a few months before I started playing with them. I have Remo Weatherking pinstripes on them.
    I to can vouch for pinstripes - they cna take an entry/mid level kit and really push it's quality up. Cutting out all the overtones means the little issues by having the cheaper woods etc... aren't as noticable and really does make it that much easier to tune.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Pearl Exports Are Great Drums For Their Functionality
    When Ya Win Da Lottery Or Yer Rich Uncle Dies Then Consider Dw Drums Or Somethin Else....
    Until Then...."Groove Wif Watcha Got"......And Dig It!!!

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

I have had and played Pearl Exs for some years and I put them through the paces! They are WORKHORSE drums!!!

-Les
    Welcome to DC!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC. I too have owned an export set (9 pc set) to me it would depend on the price of the export deal you are talking about if you could add not too much extra cash and step up to one of the many "mid" range 100% birch,maple, ect sets on the market now days.....???