Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian Cymbals

Jaksar...that's an excellent question. PB is right to an extent but, there is no equality between the lines of cymbals. The Z are more zinc and are more trashy sounding that the B20 formula A custom cymbals. However, the A's have a consistency from cymbal to cymbal of the same size thus making them greatly appreciated. The K's, however, come from a different side of the Zildjian family and are very unique cymbals. As these tend to be more of a hands-on made cymbal (hammering and casting), each cymbal is made more to specific gram weight to produce its own particular sound. Look around (ebay, CL etc.) and you find some old K cymbals being auctioned for megabucks...$1500 - $2500. It's because there is no other comparison for them. No two of them of the same size will truly sound alike. Consequently, these cymbals are not the end all that some may think. If you are playing the heavier Rock and Metal, the A Zildjian will probably suit you better that the subtleties of the K zildjian. Just remember two things: there is always a cymbal to suit you and you will get what you pay for.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for expanding with your insights Frank! As usual, you're experience shows, and is appreciated.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keysanddrums View Post
    Lager, do each of the differently textured parts of the cymbal have different sounds?
    They do sound slightly different, but I'm guessing the sound difference would be slightly more practical on the ride of the same series. Of course, the more sounds you have, the better.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Well I went to the local music store and tested them out and ended up really liking the sound of the 14" Z Customs Hats.... Until....

I went to rehersals that night, and it was evident right away that I'd made a mistake.

While the Z's sounded good in the store they were far to loud and far to harsh when played with my kit.

So today I took them back to the store and swapped the Z Customs for a set of 14" A Custom Hi Hat.
    Drums & Hardware
    Mapex Q Series Fusion 5pce / PDP SX 13x5" Acylic Snare / Coated EC2, Genera Dry, EMAD2 / Gibraltar 6607 Hi Hat Stand / Pearl P120 Pedal / Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Pedal / Mapex B323A Cymbal Stands.
    Cymbals
    Stagg Myra 20" Crash (Ride) / Sabian B8 18" Med Crash / Meinl HCS 16" Crash / 10" Stagg Myra Splash / 14" Zildjian A Custom Hi Hat.
    Other
    Vic Firth 5A Sticks / Korg Beatlab Metronome / HQ Soundoff Mutes / Gator Bags (Drum & Hardware) / Rockbag Bag (Cymbals & Sticks)

User Info Menu

Wouldn't you say that most of the time K's and A's are simular, but K is generally darker?

NEWS FLASHES

1. Travis Barker is still using those Pitch Blacks! He was playing them in a video with Wee-Man. I thought they discontinued those. You would think that they wouldn't want him to use a whole line of discontinued line of cymbals, it defeats the purpose of endorsing him.

2. New Zildjian line called Z3 to replace the Z line. Has anyone checked them out? It looks like Zildjian put them out for hard rock and metal. From what I've seen, it looks like any of the cymbals in that line that are not labeled "Rock" would be for metal. Most of the proffesional metal players that are endorced by Zildjian use a mix of different lines to get their sound. The Z3's seem to have a wide range of choices for a new line. So hopefully zildjian will add more cymbals to the line for a wide range and they sound great/fit the discription zildjian is giving them. If so, I would definatley save up for a pack or two that have the cymbals that will have the sound I want, then complete the my kit with some baught individual.

User Info Menu

I have an 18 in. Zildjian Pitch Black crash. Anyone else have those?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Zildjiankid234!

I don't have any of the Pitch Black cymbals myself. I listened to a few at a local music store and it just wasn't the sound that I needed. Hope you are enjoying yours though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

I am enjoying mine, it is more or a darker sound. More or less, the only reason i bought it was because it was black (Awesome) and it was on sale for 60 bucks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZildjianKid234 View Post
    I am enjoying mine, it is more or a darker sound. More or less, the only reason i bought it was because it was black
    That's exactly the wrong way to buy cymbals.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    Wouldn't you say that most of the time K's and A's are simular, but K is generally darker?

New Zildjian line called Z3 to replace the Z line. Has anyone checked them out? It looks like Zildjian put them out for hard rock and metal. From what I've seen, it looks like any of the cymbals in that line that are not labeled "Rock" would be for metal. Most of the proffesional metal players that are endorced by Zildjian use a mix of different lines to get their sound. The Z3's seem to have a wide range of choices for a new line. So hopefully zildjian will add more cymbals to the line for a wide range and they sound great/fit the discription zildjian is giving them. If so, I would definatley save up for a pack or two that have the cymbals that will have the sound I want, then complete the my kit with some baught individual.
    I have seen a YouTube video demo of this new Z line and was very impressed!
    They seem to possess a much more musical sound and also seem to open up better at lesser volumes than their predecessor Z custom line.
    Looks like the third time for this series revamp could be a charm. I am gonna be looking at these real closely!

-Les

User Info Menu

I think Zildjian could have made the new line to compete with Paiste for metal drummers; because so far, in my opinion Paiste offers a whole lot more to a metal drummer.
    Last edited by Owens; 07-06-2009 at 09:48 PM.

User Info Menu

i really don't see why cymbal companies are trying to snatch metal drummers.
    from what i've seen all cymbals in any brand (z custom/z3, 2002 wilds/metal x) all plays like manhole covers.

truely, they're going for sheer volume over sound quality.

i personally play hardcore and very heavy stuff and i don't use any cymbal specifically for metal.

i play zildjian/sabian and use:
    14" avedis mastersound hats
    10" aax splash
    15" aaxplosion crash
    18" a custom fast crash
    20" a custom crash
    19" paragon china
    21" hand hammered raw bell dry ride

i believe as long as you're are running mics, you'll never need a super thick cymbal.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Joe-keep it heavy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe-keep it heavy View Post
    i really don't see why cymbal companies are trying to snatch metal drummers.
    from what i've seen all cymbals in any brand (z custom/z3, 2002 wilds/metal x) all plays like manhole covers.

truely, they're going for sheer volume over sound quality.

i personally play hardcore and very heavy stuff and i don't use any cymbal specifically for metal.

i play zildjian/sabian and use:
    14" avedis mastersound hats
    10" aax splash
    15" aaxplosion crash
    18" a custom fast crash
    20" a custom crash
    19" paragon china
    21" hand hammered raw bell dry ride

i believe as long as you're are running mics, you'll never need a super thick cymbal.
    Welcome to DC!

Give the Z3s a listen! Pretty musical sounding cymbals right there IMHO!

-Les

User Info Menu

Hey guys, i recently bought 2 (though soon to be 3) cymbals and was wondering if you could help know abit more about them.

1st one is a 14" Avedis paper thin crash: what are its pros (especially of such a thin crash)
    any cons? I got a good deal on it, so I hope it sounds good.

2nd one is a 18" Avedis minicup ride. looks in pretty good condition and I read its very versatile which is what i was looking for. Any one have experience with this guy?

3rd one (hopefully) is a pre-aged K 20" light ride, it has two rivet holes in it with one rivet installed. I've never had any experience with rivets so any insight as to how it might affect the sound of it will be greatly appreciated. Iv'e heard some clips of ti no youtube and Ive played one before and i really like it but idk how greatly ill the sound be affect due to the rivets

thanks in advance!
    6pc Mapex M Birch
    -14, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    - Evans EC2
    - BP maple cherry 13x6 snare
    -DW 9000 single
    -LP black beauty cowbell

Cymbals
    --Paiste PST5 & Sabian XS20 Wuhan and Avedis Zildjians (mastersound 13s and paper thin crash and medium ride)

User Info Menu

Sizzle will give it a slight "Sizzle" effect.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    I happened to be in the neighborhood, so I stopped in a music store today. One of the guys there said I had to check out the new K Custom Hybrid crash. And let me say, WOW!!! That is one cymbal that will definitely be gracing my collection soon. It is a bit darker, of course, than the A customs, and the 19" crash I tried out had a pretty nice bell sound on it too. And it's a looker to boot. Notice the two different textures. Great cymbal.

These are GREAT cymbals. After a few of my ZBTs cracked from a few years of use, I replaced them with these K Hybrids. At the moment, I have 13" hats, 15" crash and a 11" splash. I'll be replacing the others as I need to. I'd love to just buy all K Customs and replace everything, but they're definitely expensive.

Yeah Lager, the two separate lathing patterns is an awesome idea. Taken from the cymbal description:
    "Developed in conjunction with leading drum stylist Akira Jimbo, the Zildjian K Kustom Hybrid cymbal line features an innovative brilliant/traditional surface that produces different tones depending on where the cymbal is played for a musical "darkness with brilliance" combination. The inner half features the unlathed, brilliant finish of the K Custom Ride, while the outer half features the traditionally finished K Zildjian lathing. The unlathed section helps control the wash and sustain, making it ideal for recording and live situations."

I highly recommend them if you want versatility, great sound, not to mention some pretty nice looking cymbals! Prepare to empty your pockets, though. Haha.

User Info Menu

after a couple years of riding on a crash, i finally picked up this newest member of the cymbal family. unfortunately i cant mount it till next month
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Russ; 08-07-2009 at 09:30 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    after a couple years of riding on a crash, i finally picked up this newest member of the cymbal family. unfortunately i cant mount it till next month
    Oooooh...shiney!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Looks like it says it's a 20" Ping Ride Russ, but the ol' eyes aren't what they used to be. Congrats, and did I get it right?

User Info Menu

Russ, i know what you are feeling...i also have a ping ride..and i love to just hit it once with the stick and listen for the lovely tone until if fades away....beautiful...
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

yeah its a 20" ping ride. i wish i could play it. buying cymbals is something ive neglected, im just glad i came to my senses and realized the importance of having a ride in the arsenal. although it sounds different from other ping rides ive heard, i still cant find a single thing i dont like about it. the bell is big, it shines, has few overtones. i actually liked this one over more expensive ones like HH, blue bell signature, K custom, soundcaster, etc. it just seemed to fall in place the best. i just hope it isnt too loud when i record it
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

What are your guys' thoughts on the Zildjian Schimitar series crash cymbals? Cuz I found an ad on Crgslst and there was a 16" for $50. There was also 14" Z custom hats, but they have a small crack in them. Anyways, your thoughts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mainedrummah View Post
    What are your guys' thoughts on the Zildjian Schimitar series crash cymbals? Cuz I found an ad on Crgslst and there was a 16" for $50. There was also 14" Z custom hats, but they have a small crack in them. Anyways, your thoughts?
    Stay away from anything cracked.

User Info Menu

Well Maine, i am going to experience the Schmitar cymbal for the first time soon..( coming on Tuesday ) i bought some 14" hats cause it was a deal, not my first choice..but they were cheap so what the heck i needed something to hit now not later..blogs i have read are not to pleased with this line..time will tell..and as far as any cracked cymbals..my thought....just say no! sorry but in my early days of drumming no matter what i did to try to slow down crack..it failed..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride