Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I am now the happy owner of a 19" A Thrash Ride!. It came in yesterday. it looks so good I hate the thought of getting stick marks on it. Will report on it's performance after Sunday's practice.
    Let's see the pics brother

User Info Menu

hey Butch, took these early this morning. lighting not very good. Does it seem odd where the placement of the etching is? Seems like the etching on my other cymbals isn't that close to the edge. Man it sounds nice though!

Last edited by slinky; 04-01-2015 at 07:11 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Nice cymbal slinky!
    The design kinda reminds me of those Sabian Pro Sonix.

User Info Menu

Wow!!! Sea urchin shell.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    hey Butch, took these early this morning. lighting not very good. Does it seem odd where the placement of the etching is? Seems like the etching on my other cymbals isn't that close to the edge. Man it sounds nice though!

Some of mine have the stamp close to the edge like that too...............never thought about it..............don't think it's an issue though

That is a gorgeous cymbal..................does it's sound fit the name?

User Info Menu

I will find out today if we end up practicing. It sounds pretty awesome just finger tapping it.

Also I could not help myself yesterday. This is the story. The Music Go Round for the ATL had a pair of 14" Z Custom Dyno Beats for sale at $179, then some time went by and they put them at $159.

I went to the store yesterday to look for a boom stand and on th way I though about the Dyno Beats. After selecting a Gibraltar Boom stand, I looked for fun to see if the Dyno's were still there. They were there. They were $99!, They were in my car when I left.

So went in for just a boom stand and left with the boom and the Dyno's which are close to new.... the original barcode sticker is even still on the bottom hat.

going to hang those today too and will report.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I currently have a 20" K Constantinople Medium Thin Ride High. Wondering if anyone, by chance, would have an opinion about that cymbal as compared to the new 20" K Con Renaissance Ride. Anyone?
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

very happy with the 19'' A Thrash Ride. We practiced last night and it was a pleasure playing and hearing it. Blends in well with the 18'' Z custom crashes sitting on both sides of it.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The current setup I'm using with the Starclassic kit... New Beats, Sweet Ride, the usual suspects with a K Custom Hybrid thrown in:

Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Oh, I would feel right at home on that kit! I like your taste in drums and in cymbals. It's hard to beat Zildjian As.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Well I always wanted one of the Zildjian Z power rides from the 80's 90's and I did get one of the 21" Light Power Rides and it was okay but I'm going to be selling it. It's great if you want the ping because that's pretty much all it does.

With the new band I really want a lot of wash so last night I put my 19" A Thrash Ride in the ride position. It was very different playing almost a crash like cymbal as a ride and looks kind of funny in a way but it's exactly the sound I've been wanting to hear. It can do so many different things.

Had fun last night at practice because things were starting to sound like I want them to.

* pics of my thrash ride in post #779 *
    Last edited by slinky; 05-29-2015 at 08:24 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about getting a bunch of cymbals from the K series because I want my cymbals to have a dark sound and be in the background. Like Mitch Mitchell from the Jimi Hendrix Experience or Ginger Baker from Cream. They might have rivets in there cymbals, I don't know how I would drill the wholes for the rivets if I did that. If anyone uses K Zildjian, K Custom or Kerope, tell me about them. If they're light or what kind of music they might be good for etcetera.

User Info Menu

This is kind of a weak question as I'm asking for guesses I, um, guess. I was looking at a used Zildjian china a few years ago. It was the sweetest china I've ever heard but I'd been spending lavishly and didn't want to fork over the mere $70 they were asking. Went in a few weeks later to grab it and they'd sold it that day.
    Anyway, it was 14" or 16" with a wide gently rounded china profile (as opposed to the sharper closer to the edge profile) Probably an A or K.
    Any educated guesses?

User Info Menu

Recently my GC received a few Zildjian 23" Sweet Rides and I have really fallen for the rich, glassy tone of those cymbals. Absolutely cannot afford to buy any more cymbals right now or in the foreseeable future, but if some extra cash suddenly drops in my lap . . . .

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    This is kind of a weak question as I'm asking for guesses I, um, guess. I was looking at a used Zildjian china a few years ago. It was the sweetest china I've ever heard but I'd been spending lavishly and didn't want to fork over the mere $70 they were asking. Went in a few weeks later to grab it and they'd sold it that day.
    Anyway, it was 14" or 16" with a wide gently rounded china profile (as opposed to the sharper closer to the edge profile) Probably an A or K.
    Any educated guesses?
    Was it a Zildjian Oriental trash china? They seem to have the wider lip on the outer edge and the more rounded profile I think you are describing. I'm probably way off the mark - the only Zildjian Chinas I have owned are a ZXT 14" (hated it and sold on eBay within a week) and a 16" ZHT china - almost as nasty, so I'm confident it won't be any of those....

User Info Menu

I checked their website and believe it was an 16" A China High.

User Info Menu

Any educated guesses?
    I think I've already related this story, but I think it may apply here. Years ago I was playing at a music store jam day and my friend, Pat, was there with his old Gretsch kit an a nice selection of older Zildjians. But I was blown away by the sound of his quite old (seventies?) Zildjian A 18" china. No lettering on it with which it ID it, but I knew I'd have no problem knowing that sound if I ever heard it again - and I was determined to own one. This cymbal sounded nothing like what we today expect from a china cymbal. It had no brashness about it at all, very smooth, medium pitched, and actually pleasing to listen to. The only way I can describe the sound is to imagine a '60s or '70s 18" thin crash with a very even frequency spread - and just a mild touch of oriental flavoring. So mild, in fact, that the overall dominant sound was of the crash, not the china.

I think it took me another three or four years to run across a nearly identical cymbal. I cannot even remember where I found it. But first contact with a stick produced "that" sound I'd been seeking for so long. As a bonus, it has rivets, which carry that sweet sizzle out even further. Is this the kind of sound you experienced? My friend says our cymbals are simply early seventies' Thin Chinas. I have no idea. As you can see from the photos, the cymbal is very shallow with an gently rounded edge.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Well the description of the sound is on but the cymbal's china flare is too shallow and the main slope too steep. the 16" A China High on the site looks right but the one I missed out on looked pretty old and had no ink. I'll have to chase down an A High and see. I have a Wuhan but it hurts my ears. I have a 20" Zildjian pang but it's very dark and powerful. I think I'd like to put rivets in it and use it more as a alternate effect ride.
    That Zildjian was sweet, pleasant, mellow, and boy do I regret not buying it.

User Info Menu

Purchasing a pair of 14" A Custom Mastersound hi-hats off of a buddy to round out my existing setup of 20" A Medium-Thin Crash and 21" Sweet Ride! Gonna be quite an upgrade from my 14" Sabian B8 hi-hats.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    Purchasing a pair of 14" A Custom Mastersound hi-hats off of a buddy to round out my existing setup of 20" A Medium-Thin Crash and 21" Sweet Ride! Gonna be quite an upgrade from my 14" Sabian B8 hi-hats.
    You will truly be thrilled with the new sound and variable swish you will get, not to mention the chicka chicka wow-wow.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Love the Mastersound "chick". It's going to sound so good.

User Info Menu

Well the description of the sound is on but the cymbal's china flare is too shallow and the main slope too steep. the 16" A China High on the site looks right but the one I missed out on looked pretty old and had no ink. I'll have to chase down an A High and see. I have a Wuhan but it hurts my ears. I have a 20" Zildjian pang but it's very dark and powerful. I think I'd like to put rivets in it and use it more as a alternate effect ride.
    That Zildjian was sweet, pleasant, mellow, and boy do I regret not buying it.
    Was it an older Zildjian swish china? I saw a uTube video of Charlie Watts discussing the cymbals he uses. He uses a 16? Zildjian 60's swish china as his crash which sounds incredibly smooth to me without the raucous dustbin lid china sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Was it an older Zildjian swish china? I saw a uTube video of Charlie Watts discussing the cymbals he uses. He uses a 16? Zildjian 60's swish china as his crash which sounds incredibly smooth to me without the raucous dustbin lid china sound.
    Since the posting and pictures above, I've discovered that the 18" in the pic is a Swish. Haven't taken the time to research the logo for an exact date. Hope Bob will keep us informed about his search for the magic china of his dreams!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Great sounding jazz cymbals! Zildjian Kerope

User Info Menu

My cymbal set up is:

20" A Earth Ride
    17" & 18" A Custom Rezos
    17" & 18" K Custom Hybrids
    14" A Custom Mastersound Hi-Hats

I love them all!!!