Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Zildjian Cymbals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian Cymbals

You guys like the separate threads for the different drum brands in the drumset forum so here's one for Zildjian Cymbals - cymbals forum. Anything Zildjian can go in this thread.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian Cymbals

Well Tom...what can I say?

ZILDJIAN FTW!!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Well Tom...what can I say?

ZILDJIAN FTW!!!
    My God. I have a zildjian ZHT 16 in China? This thread makes me feel out of place =O
    “Going out and playing music - that's what I do. I don't do much else.”- Dave Grohl

<3---------------------------------------------------------------------------<3
    It goes a little like this: ~Pearl~Remo~Evans~PDP~Vater~Sabian~Zildjian~

User Info Menu

zildjan are really bad like the a custom

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Nice collection RHD!!

I'm fortunate enough to have two sets of cymbals, Zildjian A Customs, and Paiste Sigs.....I love them both for their different qualities and sounds, just like I love my drum kits for the different qualities they have. And I play both cymbal sets frequently. It's funny how if you've been playing one brand over another you find you have to adjust some things in order to bring the sound you want out of them. I love experimenting with them in different ways.

There's only one little minor thing I don't like about my Zildjians - they're too darn bright! They show every little tiny fingerprint.....grrrrr. I don't even clean my Paistes and they look great all the time.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

^^cool to hear the A customs are workin' for ya!^^

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post

They show every little tiny fingerprint.....grrrrr. I don't even clean my Paistes and they look great all the time.
    Ah I know whatcha mean! I just cleaned my hi-hats a little while back, I used some zildjian cymbal cleaner, and boy was that annoying! The black kept smudging around when I tried to wipe the cleaner off... ended up just using lemons and baking soda or something. Anyways, I got them all shiny, and then like two days later I realize they have all these ugly, black marks over them! I won't be go through the cleaning process again for a while though... too frustrating!

But I really like my 14" new beat hihats... I love the really bright sound they have, and they have a really clean "chick" when closed I'm hoping in a while I'll be able to get some more A Zildjian cymbals!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaktree137 View Post
    Ah I know whatcha mean! I just cleaned my hi-hats a little while back, I used some zildjian cymbal cleaner, and boy was that annoying! The black kept smudging around when I tried to wipe the cleaner off... ended up just using lemons and baking soda or something. Anyways, I got them all shiny, and then like two days later I realize they have all these ugly, black marks over them! I won't be go through the cleaning process again for a while though... too frustrating!

But I really like my 14" new beat hihats... I love the really bright sound they have, and they have a really clean "chick" when closed I'm hoping in a while I'll be able to get some more A Zildjian cymbals!

Just my opinion. I don't like cleaning cymbals at all. The only reason I can think for cleaning would be to make them shine (obviously). Other than that there is no purpose. Quality cymbals, like other quality instruments, really benefit from "natural" aging and playing. I have too often seen modern and vintage cymbal values go down in value and worth because people clean them. Most drummers and collectors like the beautiful and natural patina cymbals develop over the years and the warm mellow tone(s) produced as a result of the patina and "dirt". Again, this is just my opinion based on many years experience and research and talking shop. Place two identical cymbals side by side, say, a 60's or 70's Zildjian ride, one in it's original condition and the other having been cleaned and 99% of the time the uncleaned cymbal will be more sought after and have a higher value. This goes for any size and type of cymbal. Like I said it's just my opinion but it is based on experience and research both personally and talking with other drummers and musicians.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I have been playing Zildjian A cybals for 30 years. In fact I still gig with the my 15" thin crash I bought back then. here is my current set up.
    and yes that is one Paiste in the mix.

• HH- 1980s Quick Beat top - Vintage Zilco Bottom
    • 1978 15" thin crash
    • 2- 16" med crashes both early 80s(yes they sound completly different from eachother)
    • 1960s 22" ride
    • Pasite Sig splash
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

My hi-hats are from the 60's and so is the 22 " sizzller I use. I have a 22" Amir ride from the 80's plus an 8' A Custom splash and a 15 " A custom crash .

I really enjoy the A Custom line and want to pick up a 12 " A Custom splash and 16 " A Custom EFX next .

User Info Menu

I too am diggin' the A custom line. I just picked up my first, a 15" Rezo Crash. I will be adding more in that line as money permits. For the time being, I'm stuck with my ZBT's.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I love the A Customs for my crashes -16" crash & 18" fast crash. To me, these crashes go along with just about anything.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have been playing Zildjian cymbals for over 20 years.
    I now am starting to mix in some Sabians..

My main crash is a 16" A Custom medium. It works so nicely with my 15" K custom fast crash and 20" K custom ride. In the future I'd like to add a 17" K custom fast crash and a set of 14.25" K custom hybrid hats.

Lovin' my Zildjians!

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    I have been playing Zildjian cymbals for over 20 years.
    I now am starting to mix in some Sabians.

Lovin' my Zildjians!

-Les
    Same here, James. Wow, we are old.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Well I might be a bit younger than you guys but not only have I been playing Zildjians for over 20 years, I've been playing many of the same Zildjian's for over 20 years. But I do have a new Sabian XS20 (my son has the older Zildjian) and some older Paiste 3000 hats that I love (my son has my old Zildjian hats as well).
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I've been playing Zildjians for over 60 years but I do sometimes mix in other makes.
    My main ride is a 20" avedis riveted by Zildjians but now only has 3rivits
    My left hand ride is an 18" K. Zildjian (Istanbul)
    14" K dark crash
    16" K dark crash.
    Depending what kind of jazz I play I add a 13" were thin crash with no name. I think it is English and I found it in a junk shop for £1. It is trashy and dirty and great for Dixieland with a fast attack and quick decay. I use it open and also choked with a stick underneath. I some times use a China by stagg. This is a 16 inch and sounds good I use it in both modern jazz and traditional jazz.
    I also use when working with a trio (piano, double bass and drums. An Ed Thigpen signature flat ride. This has a pronounced stick sound and in the mix sounds like a closed hi hat.
    My hats are K,s bought in the late 60's. I think they were new beats with a shiny finish. They are not shiny now. For years I used a Remo kit with an 18" bass drum and a Beverley snaredrum. This was a copy of a Ludwig 400 and it sounded just like one. Jake Hanna once sat in on the kit and wanted to buy the Istanbul K. Currently I,m playing a Gretch kit with a 16"x16" bass drum and 8", 10" rack toms with a 13" floor tom and a Gretch 12" snare. The rack toms are suspended on semi circular mounts. The Bass drum is quite heavy. I.m starting to look at double beaters at the moment. I have just bought some Gibraltar ones and when I get the hang of it , I aim to surprise the guys when I next Solo.

User Info Menu

I likes me some Zildjians as well. I've got a Zildjian New Beat hi hat, I've got a 16 inch Zildjian A custom crash, a 18 inch A custom crash (which is actually a great ride.) and a 22 inch Zildjian A (no custom) ping ride. I love all of them. They are the perfect cymbals in my mind.

User Info Menu

Zildjian is a great cymbal company. I do not know their line up as well as sabian's, however I do enjoy the few zildjian cymbals I own, a 10 inch A Custom splash and my 14 inch ZHT Mastersound hi-hats. Love both of them.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

hi guys

what is the diference of a 18 fast crash A custom and a 18 projection crash A custom

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    hi guys

what is the diference of a 18 fast crash A custom and a 18 projection crash A custom
    The weight. Fast crashes are extra thin and projection crashes are medium-thin. Regular crashes are just thin.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I love Zildjian cymbals. I have used them for 26 years and have no complaints.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

I happened to be in the neighborhood, so I stopped in a music store today. One of the guys there said I had to check out the new K Custom Hybrid crash. And let me say, WOW!!! That is one cymbal that will definitely be gracing my collection soon. It is a bit darker, of course, than the A customs, and the 19" crash I tried out had a pretty nice bell sound on it too. And it's a looker to boot. Notice the two different textures. Great cymbal.

Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    I happened to be in the neighborhood, so I stopped in a music store today. One of the guys there said I had to check out the new K Custom Hybrid crash. And let me say, WOW!!! That is one cymbal that will definitely be gracing my collection soon. It is a bit darker, of course, than the A customs, and the 19" crash I tried out had a pretty nice bell sound on it too. And it's a looker to boot. Notice the two different textures. Great cymbal.

These are GREAT cymbals. After a few of my ZBTs cracked from a few years of use, I replaced them with these K Hybrids. At the moment, I have 13" hats, 15" crash and a 11" splash. I'll be replacing the others as I need to. I'd love to just buy all K Customs and replace everything, but they're definitely expensive.

Yeah Lager, the two separate lathing patterns is an awesome idea. Taken from the cymbal description:
    "Developed in conjunction with leading drum stylist Akira Jimbo, the Zildjian K Kustom Hybrid cymbal line features an innovative brilliant/traditional surface that produces different tones depending on where the cymbal is played for a musical "darkness with brilliance" combination. The inner half features the unlathed, brilliant finish of the K Custom Ride, while the outer half features the traditionally finished K Zildjian lathing. The unlathed section helps control the wash and sustain, making it ideal for recording and live situations."

I highly recommend them if you want versatility, great sound, not to mention some pretty nice looking cymbals! Prepare to empty your pockets, though. Haha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    The weight. Fast crashes are extra thin and projection crashes are medium-thin. Regular crashes are just thin.
    thanx for the reply

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

i wish i had the money o own a collection like you RHD
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.