Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian Cymbals

One thing that you have to understand, bustoff, is that what you hear online is for general reference only. Keep in mind that cast cymbals are far more individual than sheet cymbals, so each cast cymbal tends to be more unique in character. The problem with buying a cymbal pack is that you do not get to hear each cymbal and choose the individual cymbals that sound right to your ears. You can only hope that what is packaged will be what you wanted. Having said that, many people buy the cymbal packs and are very happy. You just have to figure out which sound you like the best. I don't think you could go wrong with either series. The A Custom is considered the more modern sound, and is a great all around cymbal. The A series is the cymbal that drove the Classic Rock sound, and is still a great sound today. It all depends on what sounds right to you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I made my local dealer order in a 18" K Dark Medium thin cause I want to hear it first. If it doesn't fit what I'm looking for I have a full list of others I want to hear! I don't think I'll have a problem though!
    Eric & The Blues Band
    Ludwig
    Yamaha
    Ludwig Hardware (Stands)
    Pearl Hardware (BD Pedal)
    Tama Hardware (HH Stand)
    Zildjian (Zildjian League)
    Sabian
    Evans
    Vater
    Pork Pie
    CAD Mics

Music is Life

User Info Menu

I think where this is a substantial investment I need to take the ride and check them out. The A's are more like what I used with my 70's kit, it was so long ago I can't remember if they were called A's I think the were called rock but then in the 70's most us rockers took bottom tom heads off and either cut large holes in the bass resonant head or just ran with out them and tossed a blanket in it. Also my Slingerland set had felt muffler pads built in you could adjust the pressure on the batter head. This time around I think I will leave all resonant heads on but may try the aquarian performance on the toms and the aquarian super kick on the bass. If this is the case than maybe I'll go with the new sound of the A customs. I just want to get this right as I will have to live with my desition for a long time, I want to thank everyone for there input on this.

User Info Menu

Bustoff,

Before you're sold on the packs, you may want to consider buying them individually. You can get a combination of the two if you buy that way. Plus, each cymbal has very different sound, even if it's the same cymbal. I once bought a 15" A Custom that was lower in pitch than my ride, or any other cymbal I then owned. Just... Wow. Haha. I usually don't trust buying online or in packs, or buying one specific type of cymbal. It's all in what you hear. I often take my cymbals with me to make a purchase to compare them, that helps a lot. Just my two cents there. Your decision on whether or not to spend them, heh heh.

Noah
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
    I think where this is a substantial investment I need to take the ride and check them out. The A's are more like what I used with my 70's kit, it was so long ago I can't remember if they were called A's I think the were called rock but then in the 70's most us rockers took bottom tom heads off and either cut large holes in the bass resonant head or just ran with out them and tossed a blanket in it. Also my Slingerland set had felt muffler pads built in you could adjust the pressure on the batter head. This time around I think I will leave all resonant heads on but may try the aquarian performance on the toms and the aquarian super kick on the bass. If this is the case than maybe I'll go with the new sound of the A customs. I just want to get this right as I will have to live with my desition for a long time, I want to thank everyone for there input on this.

For a "New" classic sound, Zildjian released the Armand series a few years back. I'm looking into some hats from that series. They're pretty easy to groove on.

Just in case you haven't checked that out yet.

User Info Menu

I might get a 20" ZXT rock ride to replace my B8 since I seem to upgrading all my cymbals. My friend also told me he has a pair of hi hats I could buy off him, only he doesn't remember anything about them >.> (he hasn't played in a loooooooooong time). I'm hoping they're 14" ZXT Rock hats, they sound amazing on the website.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Table the reason I want to go with a pack is you can save a few bucks plus right now the A and A customs come with a free 18" crash. So if buying new it is the most cost effective way to get started then down the road I can always ad or swap out cymbals.

User Info Menu

True; I forgot they were doing that. I thought it was a ZBT thing. Good deal. The 18" sounds amazing, even if I have the fast crash. I miss my 16" too. I killed it before I learned proper non-killing technique, haha.

User Info Menu

Wow, this guy made his own Zil-Bel 0_o

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5tNcuPkrYw&feature=related"]YouTube- Z-Custom Zilbell[/ame]
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China

Click here!

User Info Menu

This is what happens when you crack a cymbal haha. Make a splash, or, if you have a heavy cymbal like this guy probably did, a Zil-Bel. Sounds great, too!

I cut down a 16" A custom to a 12" splash. Polished it and found some permanent ink to script in the new writing. It looks... Almost good!

Note: If you ever cut down a cymbal, be sure to sand the edge you cut with extremely fine sandpaper to fix any stress cracks from the cutting itself. It prevents future cracks in the already cracked cymbal, which at that point, you're already really sick of haha.

"And that's all I gotta say 'bout that." - Forest Gump

User Info Menu

Nice! Sounds like an excellent way to recycle cymbals. I'd love to see some pictures if you have any. Now I'm wondering, how exactly did you cut down the cymbal? Something tells me regular grinding tools won't work on something like that.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian Pitch Black Cymbals

Was this model discontinued for some reason. I want a pitch black splash and im getting black drum heads. I want to go black on my drums and I was wondering were I could find them. So where can I get a NEW Pitch Black 10" Splash cymbal????
    DRUMS:
    Sound Percussion 5-Piece Shell Pack-Black
    Sound Percussion Piccolo Snare Drum-Black
    Zildjian 18" ZBT Crash
    Zildjian 20" ZBT Ride/Crash
    Zildjian 14" Hi-hat
    Sabian B8 Pro 10" Splash
    Remo Ambassador Ebony drum Heads
    I LOVE MY SPLASH

User Info Menu

Just got a A custom 6" splash it looks ridiculous on my cymbal stand but it sounds nice in with my aphas and as an accent cymbal after playing my EFX :D
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

new A customs

User Info Menu

Damn, those look nice! I just found a 20" Z Custom ride cymbal used at GC. My dad's picking it up for me later, just in time for my band practice this afternoon. Pics to follow
    Last edited by NoiseInMotion; 05-28-2010 at 08:11 AM.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Hello everyone I’m new to this site. I’ve been looking though some of threads and a lot you guys/gals have a ton of knowledge that I’d love to tap into.

So a week ago I was perusing though craigslist and I found a Zildjian 22’ minicup ride for sell for 80 and I managed to pick it up for 70. I looked online and there is very limited information on this ride especially the 22 inch. The cymbal is in great condition despite the slightest bit of keyholing (very slight), and sounds amazing and look as if it was never cleaned. The kid that was selling it didn’t know anything about it, but said its probably late 70’s early 80’s. I was wondering if anybody had some information on it and if so, could tell me if I got a good deal.
    When the last living thing has died on account of us, how poetical it would be if the earth could say, in a voice from the floor of the Grand Canyon, "It is done." People did not like it here -- Kurt Vonnegut

DW Collectors series super tangerine glass
    Zildjian cymbals along with DW hardware.
    vic firth 5b's

User Info Menu

My friend has the 22" ping ride, strong stick definition and you can hear that ping through any mix. I find it great for soft to medium rock. Great cymbal!!!!

User Info Menu

I love Zildjian cymbals as I have been using my vintage A's from the 70's and just added a K dark thin crash to the old girls. Being Canadian I should be buying Sabians but since I always had Zildjian I try to stay faithfull to one manufacturer. Sabian and Zildjian were all part of one family at one time till the late 70's when 2 brothers split up the Zildjian into Sabian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickjagger View Post
    Hello everyone I’m new to this site. I’ve been looking though some of threads and a lot you guys/gals have a ton of knowledge that I’d love to tap into.

So a week ago I was perusing though craigslist and I found a Zildjian 22’ minicup ride for sell for 80 and I managed to pick it up for 70. I looked online and there is very limited information on this ride especially the 22 inch. The cymbal is in great condition despite the slightest bit of keyholing (very slight), and sounds amazing and look as if it was never cleaned. The kid that was selling it didn’t know anything about it, but said its probably late 70’s early 80’s. I was wondering if anybody had some information on it and if so, could tell me if I got a good deal.
    Welcome to Drum Chat Rickjagger, and sorry about the delay in the welcome!

I don't know much about specific cymbals from the 70's and 80's, but I am sure there are plenty of people here that do. I would suggest creating a new thread under the cymbals forum, asking for help with this. I think you will get more responses, and your post won't get lost in the conversation.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I got my First Zildjian Cymbal back in 1975 when i was just 15. I remember begging my Father to let me dip into my savings to buy an 18" medium crash and a Ludwig Speed king Foot pedal. Since that day it's been 99% Zildjians for me.

My current Cymbal line up is:
    Zildjian:
    8" A Custom Splash
    10" Armand Splash
    12" A Custom Splash
    13" K Custom Hybrid Hi-hats
    16" A Custom Fast Crash
    17" A Custom Fast Crash
    17" A Custom Crash
    20" A Custom Ping Ride - so sweet it gives me chills

Other Cymbals
    Meinl 8" lightning splash
    Wuhan -
    12" China
    Two 18" China's

For me buying cymbals is a long process. I know what I want and my cymbals need to work well together. Fortunately my local drum shop allows me to take cymbals home and try them out on my kit before I buy so I can make sure they will sound great with each other. I'm the type of guy that could never order a cymbal online, I need to hear it in person before I can make the decision to buy. I recently switched back to acoustic drums and cymbals after playing an E-kit for the past 5 years. It took me 4 weeks to get my cymbals the way I wanted them. I must have tried out over 25 cymbals to get the 3 crashes I ended up with.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 07-02-2010 at 08:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    For me buying cymbals is a long process. I know what I want and my cymbals need to work well together. Fortunately my local drum shop allows me to take cymbals home and try them out on my kit before I buy so I can make sure they will sound great with each other. I'm the type of guy that could never order a cymbal online, I need to hear it in person before I can make the decision to buy. I recently switched back to acoustic drums and cymbals after playing an E-kit for the past 5 years. It took me 4 weeks to get my cymbals the way I wanted them. I must have tried out over 25 cymbals to get the 3 crashes I ended up with.
    A man after my own heart. I simply cannot buy a piece of equipment until I have personally played it.

User Info Menu

yes,,i would never buy a cymbal without playing it first .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    yes,,i would never buy a cymbal without playing it first .
    your deaf what diference it make

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickjagger View Post

Hi check out this site it may help. http://www.vintagecymbalguide.com/ it shows some of the logos that are engraved on the cymbals like Avedis means the are A's and so on. Hope this helps to determine what you have as a cymbal
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 07-02-2010 at 02:39 PM.

User Info Menu

My favorite cymbals!
    Tama
    Vater
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Gibralter