Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    Paid 650$AUS

might have been too much
    Which is $475 US Dollars.....for a 23" Sweet "K" Zildjian is the going rate.

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-18-2018 at 08:27 AM.

User Info Menu

i think my giant beat was around $850

K sweet is at perfect price point . terrific value

User Info Menu

Paid 650$AUS
    $468 American USD...................must be an awesome cymbal.
    I have played the same ride cymbal since 1973................."A" Zildjian Heavy 22-inch...........still beautiful.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

For $468, that cymbal should be able to wash and wax my car, get me a beer, and have Jennifer Lawrence's phone # stamped on it instead of Zildjian.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    For $468, that cymbal should be able to wash and wax my car, get me a beer, and have Jennifer Lawrence's phone # stamped on it instead of Zildjian.
    Now I have a vision stuck in my head of Jennifer Lawrence full of beer waxing my car.

Like the Cool Hand Luke car wash scene.
    Last edited by G-man; 08-23-2018 at 07:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    mate you couldn't even get a cardboard cutout of Jennifer Lawrence for that price ...the premium on them ... and you know what F the people at zildjian this cymbal should be 40$ am i right rick ?..those people shouldn't get regular pay and holidays i think they should work for 3$ and hour 20 hours a day until they die . so i can buy a cymbal at a price rick wants .. yay forcing my F'ing opinion on everyone yay entitlement , fml

User Info Menu

mate you couldn't even get a cardboard cutout of Jennifer Lawrence for that price ...the premium on them ... and you know what F the people at zildjian this cymbal should be 40$ am i right rick ?..those people shouldn't get regular pay and holidays i think they should work for 3$ and hour 20 hours a day until they die . so i can buy a cymbal at a price rick wants .. yay forcing my F'ing opinion on everyone yay entitlement , fml
    1) I don't understand 1/2 of what you said.

2) I was responding to Ricardo's post. Everything is not about you. Grow the hell up and act like a man instead of a little boy.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Nice cymbal! A little dark and dry for my taste(mostly I like mids and highs), but definitely has a great sound that'd work on a lot of music. I think it'd be great to hear how that sweet K performs alongside a kit(or a full band playing), and a few other K's - to see how it all blends together.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Last buy of 2018 which rounds out the K Custom Dark series for me: 14" K Custom Dark crash.

Tone and wash sits so nicely around the other K Customs Dark cymbals (14 hats 16 crash, 18 crash, 20 ride).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Same here, James. Wow, we are old.
    I've been playing Zildjians for over 60 years but I do sometimes mix in other makes.
    My main ride is a 20" avedis riveted by Zildjians but now only has 3rivits
    My left hand ride is an 18" K. Zildjian (Istanbul)
    14" K dark crash
    16" K dark crash.
    Depending what kind of jazz I play I add a 13" were thin crash with no name. I think it is English and I found it in a junk shop for £1. It is trashy and dirty and great for Dixieland with a fast attack and quick decay. I use it open and also choked with a stick underneath. I some times use a China by stagg. This is a 16 inch and sounds good I use it in both modern jazz and traditional jazz.
    I also use when working with a trio (piano, double bass and drums. An Ed Thigpen signature flat ride. This has a pronounced stick sound and in the mix sounds like a closed hi hat.
    My hats are K,s bought in the late 60's. I think they were new beats with a shiny finish. They are not shiny now. For years I used a Remo kit with an 18" bass drum and a Beverley snaredrum. This was a copy of a Ludwig 400 and it sounded just like one. Jake Hanna once sat in on the kit and wanted to buy the Istanbul K. Currently I,m playing a Gretch kit with a 16"x16" bass drum and 8", 10" rack toms with a 13" floor tom and a Gretch 12" snare. The rack toms are suspended on semi circular mounts. The Bass drum is quite heavy. I.m starting to look at double beaters at the moment. I have just bought some Gibraltar ones and when I get the hang of it , I aim to surprise the guys when I next Solo.

User Info Menu

Hey, welcome to the forum Parad1ddle!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Last buy of 2018 which rounds out the K Custom Dark series for me: 14" K Custom Dark crash.

Tone and wash sits so nicely around the other K Customs Dark cymbals (14 hats 16 crash, 18 crash, 20 ride).

I am also building my collection of Ks. I started with a 15 Custom Dark Crash which I found at a pawn shop for $25(best deal ever). I just got a 16 Custom Dark Crash which I gigged with for the first time last Saturday. Next on my list are a ride and hats and maybe one more larger crash. I love the K series.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Your remarks about playing it first and judging cymbals with your own ears are sound but I always get a drummer pal who plays the same kind of music to play the cymbal I,m interested in while I listen to it from a distance. I,m 87 now and started playing when I was 11. My first band gig in public was at the age of 15.
    I play Jazz! When I started I played Dixieland Jazz with a pretty famous band during the English Trad Boom.
    I played at the Cavern in Liverpool with the Beatles as our Support band on 5 occasions. I Depped with Acker Bilk and with Kenny Ball. I moved towards swing and modern Jazz and played a lot of Cabaret.
    I still play. Once in Kitchens Music shop in Leeds I was looking for a new Ride and I took my current Ride with me to compare as I wanted a left hand Ride and a Right hand Ride. I wanted them to be different but related. In the Shop that day browsing the cymbals was Joe Morrello .He had been in concert the previous evening with Dave Brubeck. He picked out a 21 inch Avedis Medium Ride and said this is what you need. I Bought there and then and I used it for over 40 years. When you do lots of work in small Jazz combos in pubs, there will often be other local drummers in the audience. It was common practise to invite someone you new to sit in fora couple of numbers. Giving up the seat and standing at the back of the room was a good opportunity to hear your drums and cymbals. Often you discovered that maybe you should tighten the Bass drum head or maybe a tom tom. A check on how the cymbals sound. I remember once when I was in the audience at a gig thinking that the three Ride cymbals being played by a good pal of mine all sounded the same as each other but when I sat in behind the kit they sounded different. Different sticks make cymbals sound differently and If you are a jazz player I would always say use all wood sticks if the cymbals are good quality. The exception would be the Promark sticks that have a slotted nylon tip. I have used these for sometime now and they sound like an all wood stick and last for ages. mike.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Parad1ddle View Post
    Your remarks about playing it first and judging cymbals with your own ears are sound but I always get a drummer pal who plays the same kind of music to play the cymbal I,m interested in while I listen to it from a distance. I,m 87 now and started playing when I was 11. My first band gig in public was at the age of 15.
    I play Jazz! When I started I played Dixieland Jazz with a pretty famous band during the English Trad Boom.
    I played at the Cavern in Liverpool with the Beatles as our Support band on 5 occasions. I Depped with Acker Bilk and with Kenny Ball. I moved towards swing and modern Jazz and played a lot of Cabaret.
    I still play. Once in Kitchens Music shop in Leeds I was looking for a new Ride and I took my current Ride with me to compare as I wanted a left hand Ride and a Right hand Ride. I wanted them to be different but related. In the Shop that day browsing the cymbals was Joe Morrello .He had been in concert the previous evening with Dave Brubeck. He picked out a 21 inch Avedis Medium Ride and said this is what you need. I Bought there and then and I used it for over 40 years. When you do lots of work in small Jazz combos in pubs, there will often be other local drummers in the audience. It was common practise to invite someone you new to sit in fora couple of numbers. Giving up the seat and standing at the back of the room was a good opportunity to hear your drums and cymbals. Often you discovered that maybe you should tighten the Bass drum head or maybe a tom tom. A check on how the cymbals sound. I remember once when I was in the audience at a gig thinking that the three Ride cymbals being played by a good pal of mine all sounded the same as each other but when I sat in behind the kit they sounded different. Different sticks make cymbals sound differently and If you are a jazz player I would always say use all wood sticks if the cymbals are good quality. The exception would be the Promark sticks that have a slotted nylon tip. I have used these for sometime now and they sound like an all wood stick and last for ages. mike.
    Those are some great stories Mike... thank you for sharing them.. i love my UFiP's and my Zildjian's. I get a lot of good comments about my late 80's Zildjian 21" Light Power Ride. It's full of different tones and volumes.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

My K’s:

14” K Custom Dark Hats
    14” K Custom Dark Crash
    16” K Custom Dark Crash
    18” K Custom Dark Crash
    20” K Custom Dry Ride
    22” K EAK (Early American K) Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    My K’s:

14” K Custom Dark Hats
    14” K Custom Dark Crash
    16” K Custom Dark Crash
    18” K Custom Dark Crash
    20” K Custom Dry Ride
    22” K EAK (Early American K) Ride

That's funny I only have one Zildjian K and it's a 17" K Custom Dark and I love it!
    Last edited by drummerMD; 07-28-2019 at 09:38 AM.

User Info Menu

drummerMD, I'm nuts about the K series after playing on the A series for most of my time behind the kit.

User Info Menu

Just scored this 24” Zildjian today.
    Very happy with it. I don’t have a good scale to weigh it. She has a nice wobble to it also. The stamp is small, like 1.5” x 1”. I don’t know how to date these. I’m guessing 60’s but I’m only guessing.

B15E7601-B30C-4E29-B743-AD235BD9E888.jpg

EE45F87E-BA98-4EF3-A140-B19B4DFF1567.jpg
    Last edited by Olimpass; 12-22-2020 at 08:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Just scored this 24” Zildjian today.
    Very happy with it. I don’t have a good scale to weigh it. She has a nice wobble to it also. The stamp is small, like 1.5” x 1”. I don’t know how to date these. I’m guessing 60’s but I’m only guessing.

B15E7601-B30C-4E29-B743-AD235BD9E888.jpg

EE45F87E-BA98-4EF3-A140-B19B4DFF1567.jpg
    I hope this link stands. It's only information that may help you now and in the future.

https://reverb.com/news/how-to-date-...ildjian-cymbal
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I hope this link stands. It's only information that may help you now and in the future.

https://reverb.com/news/how-to-date-...ildjian-cymbal
    BISH! Thank you very much for the link! I think I’ve guessed correctly that it’s from the 1960’s. Now it’s a matter of cleaning this cymbal.
    Thanks so much again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    BISH! Thank you very much for the link! I think I’ve guessed correctly that it’s from the 1960’s. Now it’s a matter of cleaning this cymbal.
    Thanks so much again!
    My pleasure.
    Signature here