Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Sabian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Ya, it's awesome.
    Even if it's cracked it still sounds great.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Even if it's cracked it still sounds great.
    Mine's cracked a little. It was when I got it. I bought the 11" and the seller threw in the cracked 9" for free. I love it.

User Info Menu

Mine's cracked a little. It was when I got it. I bought the 11" and the seller threw in the cracked 9" for free. I love it.
    Nice!

-Mike

User Info Menu

Nice!
    2 cymbals for $25 shipped to my door!

Just wish I had them before I recorded the last CD...I got them that week...AFTER drums were wrapped! I'd have used the 9" over my 10" china splash.

User Info Menu

2 cymbals for $25 shipped to my door!

Just wish I had them before I recorded the last CD...I got them that week...AFTER drums were wrapped! I'd have used the 9" over my 10" china splash.
    You got a great deal!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I just couldn't resist, with Sabian's AAX sale, and Guitar Center's 15% off cymbals last weekend. I've wanted these since the Cymbal Vote came out, the 14" AAX-Plosion Hats. They are SO crisp, and bright, I can't get enough of them! As of now they replaced my 14" HHX Evolution hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
    I just couldn't resist, with Sabian's AAX sale, and Guitar Center's 15% off cymbals last weekend. I've wanted these since the Cymbal Vote came out, the 14" AAX-Plosion Hats. They are SO crisp, and bright, I can't get enough of them! As of now they replaced my 14" HHX Evolution hats.

Nice. A very different sound to the HHX's though. Almost one extreme to the other. Change is interesting.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Congrats on the hats. I've not heard those yet. They look like they've got a real serious bell.

User Info Menu

Recently picked up some new Sabians. Having a hard time picking crashes for my main kit lol.

Now I have:
    Crashes:
    20" AAX Dark
    18" AA medium
    18" SR2 Medium-Thin
    18" Xs20 Medium-Thin
    16" SR2 Thin
    15" AA thin

22" AAX Omni
    14" HHX Evo hats

Those SR2's are some awesome cymbals good job Sabian!
    Last edited by Zeta; 10-24-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post

Those are going to be my next cymbal purchase. I love em. I have to wait for a while though. I just bought a 20" AAX Stadium ride and a 15" AAXtreme china.
    Mapex Drums / Ludwig Hardware / Sabian Cymbals / Tama Pedals & Hardware / Remo and Aquarian
    Heads /
    Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

I recently scored an HH raw bell dry ride for the price of a b8 ride! One of the thickest rides i've played. No wash at all. Perfect for rock and it has an explosive bell!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I recently scored an HH raw bell dry ride for the price of a b8 ride! One of the thickest rides i've played. No wash at all. Perfect for rock and it has an explosive bell!

Nice cymbal there ... enjoy

User Info Menu

So my drum kit (Mapex Meridian Birch) came with XS20 14" medium hats (and no other cymbals). Borrowed some place-holders.

Got a bunch of vouchers for Christmas/birthday so went down to the local drum store, tried out pretty much every crash in the shop - walked out with a Sabian 17" Legacy crash. Lovely and dark and trashy.

Then on the local ebay equivalent, got a screaming deal on a very old (but very nice condition) AA dry ride (not RBDR, just plain DR).

So without necessarily trying to I've ended up with only Sabians - and I'm very happy. Hopefully the next gear purchase will be a brighter Sabian crash - to complement/contrast with the Legacy - looking at the 16" Evo, AAXplosion or Xplosion fast, or maybe just a thinnish AA crash… Any suggestions for what would complement my mismatched but great-sounding Sabians?

Steve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevemcb View Post
    So my drum kit (Mapex Meridian Birch) came with XS20 14" medium hats (and no other cymbals). Borrowed some place-holders.

Got a bunch of vouchers for Christmas/birthday so went down to the local drum store, tried out pretty much every crash in the shop - walked out with a Sabian 17" Legacy crash. Lovely and dark and trashy.

Then on the local ebay equivalent, got a screaming deal on a very old (but very nice condition) AA dry ride (not RBDR, just plain DR).

So without necessarily trying to I've ended up with only Sabians - and I'm very happy. Hopefully the next gear purchase will be a brighter Sabian crash - to complement/contrast with the Legacy - looking at the 16" Evo, AAXplosion or Xplosion fast, or maybe just a thinnish AA crash… Any suggestions for what would complement my mismatched but great-sounding Sabians?

Steve
    Those are all great cymbals. I think you'd like any of those 16" crashes, I'd try to take your 17" with you to see which sounds best it.

I've got a 16" AA medium thin that just sounds outstanding. Nice and bright, very smooth and glassy. Just a great crash.

User Info Menu

I'll certainly take the 17" when I go to get another cymbal, if I'm actually able to try before I buy… Stores around here don't do used very much if at all - selection of new stuff is good but used stuff is more difficult. I'm keeping an eye out on the local ebay equivalent for older AA's which seem to go for cheaper than they should (at least based on my ride!).

It's gonna be difficult if I find a great deal on a used AA medium thin that's 18" though - I've seen a few in the past but the ride was my priority so let them pass me by. I'm guessing that an 18"AA will still probably by brighter and possibly higher-pitched than the Legacy, but not sure how I could guarantee that when I can't play before buying!
    Steve

User Info Menu

I'm looking for a low pitched china. I have my eye on the AA 18" china. Does anyone use it?

-Mike

User Info Menu

Had a chance last Monday to play a couple of new Sabian HHX 22" Omni Rides at our local GC. First time they've had the Omnis in stock.

I was very impressed with these. A great stick sound on the unfinished center portion, and a sweet, large crash response from the thin, finished outer band. Both were the same 22" Omni, but the sound difference between them was stark. I'd definitely want to audition one before buying.

I'm really picky about cymbals (as are most of us), but I could see a genuine use for these as a very versatile ride in practically any genre of music.

Do any of you own the Omnis? What's your take on them?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Score! My AA extra heavy is pretty thick, but I'm hardly in love with the bell.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Score! My AA extra heavy is pretty thick, but I'm hardly in love with the bell.
    The extra heavy has a very similar stick sound to the rbdr, just a brighter sound if i'm not mistaken. How's the crash on it?

-Mike

User Info Menu

I love a super heavy ride and especially a bright and powerful bell.

User Info Menu

The extra heavy has a very similar stick sound to the rbdr, just a brighter sound if i'm not mistaken. How's the crash on it?
    It doesn't work all that well as a crash. It has a piercing, almost shrill attack with a very gongy wash. So, I guess it's OK in an effect crash role. My AA rock crash makes a better ride than this ride does a crash.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Had a chance last Monday to play a couple of new Sabian HHX 22" Omni Rides at our local GC. First time they've had the Omnis in stock.

GeeDeeEmm
    I'd like to try one of these out. I have an AAX Omni and really like it. The crash sound is a lot different than my other crashes, good sound but different. I like the ride sound playing in the outer edge of the unlathed area. It's a great cym. I'm afraid if I check out an HHX I'd have to have it. It would take me a while to come with that much money though. They're not cheap.
    Last edited by Lefty; 01-18-2015 at 06:35 PM.

User Info Menu

My son is a professional percussionist and he just got an Sabian HHX Omni. I had a chance to hear it. It is quite unique. He really likes it for the versatility it gives him with just one cymbal. The un-lathed ride part is very articulate / dry - which suites him well. What he really liked though was the wash effect you can get on the outer lathed portion. Great sound - and it decays much more quickly that a standard crash would- so he is able to go back & froth from a heavy wash - to a clear pinging ride very smoothly. Not cheap though - think it may be the most expensive single cymbal they make - or close to it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    My son is a professional percussionist and he just got an Sabian HHX Omni. I had a chance to hear it. It is quite unique. He really likes it for the versatility it gives him with just one cymbal. The un-lathed ride part is very articulate / dry - which suites him well. What he really liked though was the wash effect you can get on the outer lathed portion. Great sound - and it decays much more quickly that a standard crash would- so he is able to go back & froth from a heavy wash - to a clear pinging ride very smoothly. Not cheap though - think it may be the most expensive single cymbal they make - or close to it!
    Sounds like an amazing cymbal. I'll have to try one out!

-Mike

User Info Menu

[IMG][/IMG]Boys,
    At xmas, i found a nice used 16" AAX xplosion crash at GC. it made my other cymbals sound really bad so i went nuts and went all the way balls delux! added new AAX xplosions in 18" and 20"- these are my favorite crashes period. Then i returned the used 16" and got a brand new (logo was faded and didn't match all the new bling bling)... To go along with them i went with a Paragon 22 ride, and 20" + 19"paragon chinas. I found a sick deal on a new pair of 14" AAX fast crash hi hats. (seriously, they were barely over $200 shipped NEW)
    I went through a bunch of cymbals;AAX dry bell ride, AA ride and Custom A crashes that didn't sound quite perfect when i got them home, so i returned what i didn't like for the AAX xplosions and paragons. My cymbals sound so good to me, they are musical and expressive; loud and bashy when you lean into them too. [IMG][/IMG]
    Sabian brilliant finishes are easy on the eyes too!