Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1226

Thread: Sabian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by Wxmaggot View Post
    Hey guys, long time Sabian fan here and new member to the forum. Forgive this long winded post in advance.
    I am currently waiting on delivery of my new set of Gretsch Renowns (!) and I'm thinking about a new cymbal set. Musicians Friend has a 36 month no interest deal goin on, so too good to pass up. My current set-up comes, in part, from pieces that the amazing Rod Morgenstein played on the Dixie Dregs album "Bring Em Back Alive". I have a 16"AA Med thin crash, a 21" AA dry ride, an 18" HH thin Chinese, and 14" AA reg hats. Last year I bought an 18" AAX dark crash that I hate and an AAX 14" xplosion crash that I love. Anyway, I want some different sounds, so I'm thinking about the HHX evolution pack...knowing about what I have now, what are your thoughts? Opinions on this HHX pack? I'm a fan of the HH line as well. I like my dry ride, but sometimes I do wish for a better bell and some wash. The majority of my cymbals are 20 years old. Part of why I love Sabian cymbals! Anyway, looking forward to some responses and thanks in advance from a newbie.

Welcome to the forum! Is your ride a very thin and dark cymbal? I played an AA dry ride and it was paper thin and wobbled with every hit. Sounded amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

My dry ride isn't really thin. I would probably have to put it towards the medium to medium heavy side of things. It's 20 years old so I'm not sure if they've changed much over time. Now, I'm no heavy hitter, so I really play tips on this cymbal for articulation, sometimes shoulder of the stick on the bell. The bell, IMO, is the weakest part of this cymbal. Not a ton of volume as a whole in the near field either, but sounds great out front. I really love it, but I'm wanting a change.

User Info Menu

My dry ride isn't really thin. I would probably have to put it towards the medium to medium heavy side of things. It's 20 years old so I'm not sure if they've changed much over time. Now, I'm no heavy hitter, so I really play tips on this cymbal for articulation, sometimes shoulder of the stick on the bell. The bell, IMO, is the weakest part of this cymbal. Not a ton of volume as a whole in the near field either, but sounds great out front. I really love it, but I'm wanting a change.
    I can't seem to find any info on the one I'm thinking of.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I like the HHX series. All of them that came into our store have sounded pretty good

User Info Menu

have 30 year old 16" & 18" crash, 10" splash, 20" ride and 14" hats all HH series that I purchased in 1982 when Sabian was just getting started and they still sound fantastic........

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, Wxmaggot. The majority of my cymbals are either AA or AAX, with the exception of my HH Raw Bell Dry Ride, and a 16" HH crash. I have 3 AAX crashes, 17", 18" and 19", and 14" AA Fusion hats. I was loving the AAX series when I was playing out live, because they were bright and cutting. Now that I'm just playing for fun in my house, I think I want to move in the direction of the HHX series, for a little more diversity and warmth. I love my HH 16" crash, and I want more crashes with that sound.

I'm surprised to hear about the bell on your ride. Mine is the 21" HH RBDR, and the bell is amazing!
    Last edited by Powertrip240; 12-21-2015 at 09:45 PM.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you, Wxmaggot. The majority of my cymbals are either AA or AAX, with the exception of my HH Raw Bell Dry Ride, and a 16" HH crash. I have 3 AAX crashes, 17", 18" and 19", and 14" AA Fusion hats. I was loving the AAX series when I was playing out live, because they were bright and cutting. Now that I'm just playing for fun in my house, I think I want to move in the direction of the HHX series, for a little more diversity and warmth. I love my HH 16" crash, and I want more crashes with that sound.

I'm surprised to hear about the bell on your ride. Mine is the 21" HH RBDR, and the bell is amazing!
    I had no idea you had and HH rbdr. Incredible cymbals. I love how loud the bell is. Not too high pitched. I'll never let mine go.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Yeah Powertrip, for some reason the bell on mine isn't great, it's actually on the smaller side and is a tad brash for my taste. I REALLY wanted a HH rbdr years ago, but never bought it. I'm liking the HHX pack that I have been looking at and I'm leaning that way. Maybe a 16" HH too. My 16" Med thin AA is my favorite in my "collection"...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I had no idea you had and HH rbdr. Incredible cymbals. I love how loud the bell is. Not too high pitched. I'll never let mine go.
    Yeah, it was actually one of my first "high quality" cymbal purchases, after not being happy with the sound of my entry level Meinl HCS cymbals. I've gone from Sabian, to Zildjian, and back to Sabian again. I've tried several different ride cymbals, including Zildjian K, and I can't find anything that beats the HH RBDR. And the bell is definitely a selling point! I'll never let mine go either.

User Info Menu

Yeah Powertrip, for some reason the bell on mine isn't great, it's actually on the smaller side and is a tad brash for my taste. I REALLY wanted a HH rbdr years ago, but never bought it. I'm liking the HHX pack that I have been looking at and I'm leaning that way. Maybe a 16" HH too. My 16" Med thin AA is my favorite in my "collection"...
    That's too bad about the bell. That must be a difference between AA and HH. I'm definitely interested in the HHX series as well. If you pick up that pack, please post up your opinions, especially compared to the AA and AAX.

User Info Menu

That's too bad about the bell. That must be a difference between AA and HH. I'm definitely interested in the HHX series as well. If you pick up that pack, please post up your opinions, especially compared to the AA and AAX.
    I will do that. I am going back and forth with getting the set or picking individual cymbals. Tried some HHX individuals yesterday, and with limited time, I liked the tones of the crashes. The ride is the sticking point. Its a 20" Evo. Sounded good, but I'm not sure. Having not purchased cymbals very often I am reminded of the difficulty of the process!

Maybe I will pick a Sabian endorser using HHX and HH and do what I did with my first ever purchase...buy their setup if possible!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I like the HHX series. All of them that came into our store have sounded pretty good
    My local indie music store was willing to be flexible with the HHX cymbal pack by letting me sub out the HHX 14" stage hats with a set of 14" HHX X-Celerator Hats. I'm huge fan of the rippled bottom hihat cymbal. The only disappointment with the super pack is 20" HHX stage ride. The tone from the bell is a little bit on the weak side in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    My local indie music store was willing to be flexible with the HHX cymbal pack by letting me sub out the HHX 14" stage hats with a set of 14" HHX X-Celerator Hats. I'm huge fan of the rippled bottom hihat cymbal. The only disappointment with the super pack is 20" HHX stage ride. The tone from the bell is a little bit on the weak side in my opinion.

That's looking nothing less than awesome!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    That's looking nothing less than awesome!
    Thanks Kevin!

User Info Menu

Ah, nice set up! I hadn't thought of the swap. Maybe I could swap the ride for another. I don't mind the hats, it's the ride I'm not crazy about

User Info Menu

I used to have the 17" and 18" HHX Evolution crashes. I loved the sound of those and one day will have those cymbals again. You really can't go wrong with the evolution series with the exception of the ride.I thought it was to light.
    I had a chance to use the HH Rock Ride and it was heavy with a big bell and I wanted one and would still buy one if I could find one used.
    I had the 14" Evolution hats and liked the heavy bottom hat and they sounded great,but have heard the 13" Evo hats are much better sounding. If I see a pair, I'll grab them,but all I see used are 14s which I am 100% ok with.
    I used a 14" HHX Evo China and liked it as well. As you can see,the evo line is a heck of a good line of cymbals IMO,probably the best.I have had a few drummers compliment how well they sounded.

User Info Menu

Love the set up! How does the China sound?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    Love the set up! How does the China sound?
    Thanks man! Sounds really trashy! Probably the best china I own!

User Info Menu

Thanks man! Sounds really trashy! Probably the best china I own!
    Your kits and cymbals always look so clean and pristine. Really dig your setups, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Your kits and cymbals always look so clean and pristine. Really dig your setups, too.
    +1..................Rich's kits always look classy!

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried the 14" Sabian AAX Xplosion Hats?
    I ordered some and listened to samples but samples only do so much. Anyone own or try these out?

User Info Menu

I love your kit, Rich. I'm going to be looking at one in the same color tomorrow
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

After 30 years of using exclusively Zildjian Cymbals I have broken my Sabian duck. Was going to get an A Custom EFX but the O-Zones (Especially HHX) are far nicer.....

Untitled by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    After 30 years of using exclusively Zildjian Cymbals I have broken my Sabian duck. Was going to get an A Custom EFX but the O-Zones (Especially HHX) are far nicer.....

Dude, that's awesome.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post

I have the AAX version of the same cymbal. I love it. I use it instead of a China. I agree, the O-zones are a much better cymbal than the EFX.