Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1226

Thread: Sabian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    After changing churches and some trading, here is what I have now.

AAX 20" Dry Ride
    AAX 19" X-plosion Crash
    AAX 17" X-plosion Crash
    SR2 14" Hats (medium top, heavy bottom)

Peace and goodwill.
    All the AAX cymbals are now on the church drum set. I now have the following and will probably stick with them.

HHX 20" Evolution Ride (very crashable)
    AA 17" Medium-Thin Crash (very low pitched for a 17 inch)
    SR2 15" Thin Crash (not splashy at all)

Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    All the AAX cymbals are now on the church drum set. I now have the following and will probably stick with them.

HHX 20" Evolution Ride (very crashable)
    AA 17" Medium-Thin Crash (very low pitched for a 17 inch)
    SR2 15" Thin Crash (not splashy at all)

Peace and goodwill.
    I replaced the SR2 15" Thin Crash with a Sabian AA 16" Concept Crash, and I took the SR2 15" to church. All is well in my world now. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

You know you have an awesome wife when she knows you’ve been wanting a 19” Chad Smith Holy China and she orders it for an early birthday gift!

15350A3E-07F7-4E39-9C6C-8869CF42BC78.jpg
    Last edited by DrumWhipper; 07-31-2020 at 04:54 AM.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    You know you have an awesome wife when she knows you’ve been wanting a 19” Chad Smith Holy China and she orders it for an early birthday gift!

Someone just won the internet for today. Congrats!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post

That is a thing of beauty.

User Info Menu

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

You one heap lucky boy. Go get some lottery tickets.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Been eyeballing those holy chinas......did pick up a 10" Aero splash. Really cool little cymbal.
    Mapex Saturn V Blue Red Hybrid Sparkle 4 pc
    Ludwig 6.5 x14 Black Beauty
    Pearl Demon Drive double pedal
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian 18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 18" HHX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 14" AAX Xlosion Hats
    Sabian 10" AAX Aero Splash
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

Today I made a Trade

I went to my old church, with the OK from the pastor, and made a big cymbal swap. One of my goals was to get the Sabian AA 16" and SR2 18" thin crashes to use at our current church. Here is what I now have:

All Sabian​

21" AA Bash Ride (my favorite of all time)

18" XS20 Medium-Thin Crash ( sounds like a Sabian AA, really)

17" AA Medium-Thin Crash

14" SR2 Hats (medium top, heavy bottom)

To Our Current Church (all Sabian except where noted)

20 HHX Evolution Ride

18" Zildjian K China

18" SR2 Thin Crash

16" AA Thin Crash

15" SR2 Thin Crash

13" Paiste Alpha Hats

10" SR2 Splash

So I am no longer a small crash guy. This all worked out just as I was hoping. Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

After some trades and purchases here is what I now have, and I now have exactly what I want. So there will almost certainly be no more trades nor purchases.

100_0522.JPG
    100_0533.JPG

My Set
    20 inch AAX Evolution Ride
    18 inch AAX Studio Crash
    16 inch AA Thin Crash
    14 inch SR2 Hats (medium top / heavy bottom)

18 inch SR2 Thin (can be used as a crash/ride cymbal)
    17 Inch AAX Studio Crash

At Church
    21 inch AA Bash Ride
    18 inch Zildjian K China
    17 inch AAX Concept Crash
    16 inch AAX Concept Crash
    13 inch Paiste Alpha Medium Hats

With my cymbals, if I want to go minimal, I will use the SR2 18" Thin with the 17" AAX Studio Crash and hats. Most of the time I will use the 20" AAX Evolution Ride, the 18" AAX Studio Crash, the 16" AA Thin Crash, and the SR2 hats. Peace and goodwill.
    Last edited by Drumolator; 07-13-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Well, my cymbal story continues into 2022. Four days ago I bought two cymbals from C&M Music in Lafayette, Louisiana. First was a Sabian SR2 19" Heavy. I compared it to my 21" AA Bash Ride. They were very similar, but the SR2 19" Heavy was slightly higher pitched, and was only $150. Second, I bought a pair of Sabian XS20 Medium Hats, which I really like. So now I have two sets of cymbals.

Set One, all Sabian
    19" SR2 Heavy (ride)
    18" SR2 Thin (good crash-ride)
    16" AA Thin Crash
    14" XS20 Medium Hats

Set Two, all Sabian
    20" HHX Bash Ride
    17" AAX Studio Crash
    15" SR2 Thin
    14" SR2 Hats (medium top, heavy bottom)

At Church, mostly Sabian
    21" AA Bash Ride
    18" AAX Studio Crash
    18" Zildjian K China
    17" AAX Concept Crash
    16" AAX Concept Crash
    13" Paiste Alpha Medium Hats
    10" SR2 Thin

Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

I took pictures of all of my cymbals today.

Set One, all Sabian: 19" SR2 Heavy (good ride), 17" AAX Concept Crash (very low pitched), 16" AA Thin Crash, 14" XS20 Hats. I used these at a jam a few days ago, and I really enjoyed playing them. The AAX 17" Concept Crash is lower pitched than the 18" SR2 Thin in set two. I had to swap out the AAX 17" Concept Crash that was at church because it is lower pitched than the AAX 18" Studio Crash there. I replaced it with my AAX17" Studio Crash. Peace and goodwill.

100_0551.JPG

Set Two, all Sabian: 20" HHX Evolution Ride, 18" SR2 Thin (great crash-ride cymbal), 15" SR2 Thin, 14" SR2 Hats (medium top, heavy bottom)

100_0557.JPG
    Last edited by Drumolator; 03-05-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

The AAX 17" Studio Crash did not blend very well with the 16" and 17" AAX Concept Crashes at Church. Since I need three crashes at church, and the 17" Concept Crash is very low pitched, I took my AA 16' Thin Crash to church. Pitch-wise it is right between the very high-pitched 16" AAX Concept Crash and the very low-pitched 17" AAX Concept Crash. It blends well with them too. So I am left with these Sabians.

20" HHX Evolution Ride
    19" SR2 Heavy
    18" SR2 Thin (a good crash-ride)
    18" AAX Studio Crash
    17" AAX Studio Crash
    14" SR2 Hats (medium top / heavy bottom; these sound great in big rooms or outside)
    14" XS20 Hats (for smaller rooms)

Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

The post just above this one worked out very well. The AA 16" Thin Crash blends very well with the 16" and 17" Concept Crashes. That leaves me with these Sabians.

20" HHX Evolution Ride
    19" SR2 Heavy
    18" SR2 Thin (a good crash-ride)
    18" AAX Studio Crash
    17" AAX Studio Crash
    14" SR2 Hats (medium top / heavy bottom; these sound great in big rooms or outside)
    14" XS20 Hats (for smaller rooms)

I am sure that I can make a good set of cymbals out of these. Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Chad Smith has left Sabian.

He is at Paiste now???

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    Chad Smith has left Sabian.

He is at Paiste now???
    That's what I heard.

User Info Menu

I did a hi-hat cymbal experiment yesterday. I have two sets of hats: SR2 14" (medium top / heavy bottom) and XS20 14" Hats. The SR2 14" Medium used to be an HHX because the hammer marks on it match the hammer marks on my HHX 20" Evolution Ride. So I tried every combination possible: each top with each bottom, both tops, and both bottoms. The one I liked best is the SR2 14" Medium on top and the XS20 bottom on the bottom. Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

So I am using the hats in the post above with a 19" SR2 Heavy as a ride. My two crashes are an AAX 17" Studio Crash and an SR2 18" Thin. That is the combination that sounds best. I also have an AA 16" thin Crash that works well with my AAX 18" Studio Crash. Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Well today I got out all of my crashes and had my wife and son (a great bass player) listen to different combinations. They both picked the same pair of crashes, so that is what I will go with.

19" SR2 Heavy (good ride)
    14" Hats (SR2 Medium top, XS20 bottom)
    18" AAX Studio Crash
    16" AA Thin Crash

100_0578.JPG

Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

I bought a Sabian HHX 20" Evolution Ride about 3.5 to 4 years ago, and at that time I really liked it. Three years ago, when our church opened, I used it as a ride and crashed it sometimes. Since then, I acquired my old AA 21" Bash Ride and took that to church. The last time I used the HHX Evolution Ride as a ride was at band practice, and I was not liking it very much. So today I used it as a big crash to go with the two AAX Concept Crashes that are already there (a 16" and a 17"). It seemed to work well that way.

Do any of you used a cymbal in a way that was not intended? Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Sabian has changed the policy of no cymbal that they have ever made still being available as a special order. I sent them an e-mail yesterday asking about a cymbal no longer being made, and they sent me an e-mail that said they no longer make cymbals that are discontinued as they used to. I used to think that no Sabian cymbal was truly discontinued, but that is no longer the case. Peace and goodwill.
    Last edited by Drumolator; 03-28-2023 at 04:25 PM.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

A lot of things are changing in the 'new normal'. Companies are trying to figure out how to adjust to the economic squeeze without disappointing their customers too much. I'm sure it's like walking a tight rope for them. When Amazon starts laying off people, you know something's up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    A lot of things are changing in the 'new normal'. Companies are trying to figure out how to adjust to the economic squeeze without disappointing their customers too much. I'm sure it's like walking a tight rope for them. When Amazon starts laying off people, you know something's up!
    That is a good insight. However, I am disappointed, but I will always be a Sabian guy. Peace and goodwill.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Well here is my April 2023 update.

Today I went to church to practice my myself as I have been doing for several months. I took my cymbals and switched them out with what was there.

So, here is what is at our small church.

All Sabian unless otherwise noted
    19" SR2 Heavy (good ride)
    18" SR2 Thin (good crash-ride)
    16" AA Thin Crash
    14" XS20 Hats
    18" Zildjian K China

Here is what I have.

All Sabian unless otherwise noted
    21" AA Bash Ride (my favorite ride ever)
    17" AAX Concept Crash (very low pitched)
    16" AAX Concept Crash (very high pitched)
    13" Paiste Alpha Medium Hats

100_0602.jpg

I also have 17" and 18" AAX Studio Crashes and SR2 14" Hats (Meduim top / Heavy bottom) to use when I have to play outside. Peace and goodwill.
    Last edited by Drumolator; 04-09-2023 at 04:15 PM.

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Last week I drove almost three hours to go to Ray Fransen's Drum Center and traded in one of my Mapex Saturn kit so that I could buy cymbals. I also took my Sabian AAX 17" Studio Crash. I bought the following Sabians.

21" Thin Ride
    16" Thin Crash
    14" Medium Hats

100_0613.jpg

Peace and goodwill.
    Last edited by Drumolator; 02-03-2024 at 10:34 AM.

Church Drummer's Army