Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1226

Thread: Sabian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Is it possible the crash is an El Sabor? They have a sleight up turned edge. I have a 13" AA El Sabor. What did you pay for the ride?
    Not sure on the ElSabor.. If memory serves, the El has a bit more pronounced flange. I bought the SR2s as a box set. Got them all for $212 out the door!
    New fan of Sabian!
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Wow I think the ride alone sells for more than that. That sounds like a great deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Wow I think the ride alone sells for more than that. That sounds like a great deal.
    Pays to have friends working at the LDS

User Info Menu

Hey all. For many years my setup was an old 16" AA thin crash, new 17" AA med crash and new 18" AA rock crash. I was then playing some heavier stuff so I sold the 16" crash and shifted the other 2 to the left and played a 19" china on the right of my ride (2-up 1 down)

A few years away from playing with a band, and the new group I'm in isn't nearly as heavy. Here's what I'm mulling, opinions appreciated;

I'd like to have a crash ride in the China's spot there. 18" AAX Omni maybe, the 22" would be too big. But I like the AA 21" Bash ride more I think. My ride is AAX 21" RBDR though. I've always been a 3 crash guy, but I'm liking the idea of having a thinner crashy washy but still big ridey cymbal right next to my main ride.

Do you think it would work sonically? Same diameters? Any other crash rides I might consider (20"?) , and not necessarily Sabian.

Thx eh!
    Last edited by eyeraven; 02-16-2016 at 03:50 AM.

User Info Menu

eyeraven I have a 20" AAX Metal Crash and I use it as a crash/ride and I love it. It's loud though but that's what I wanted. Washy ride but because it's so thick it works as a ride and when you strike it as a crash it wakes anyone up.

User Info Menu

I have a 22 AAX Omni and the crash sound is kind of high for a 22. I've heard other people comment on how high their pitch is. The 18 is quite high pitched. Just something to think about.
    Here's a clip of mine when I first got it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjCAhLdgDS0

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eyeraven View Post
    Hey all. For many years my setup was an old 16" AA thin crash, new 17" AA med crash and new 18" AA rock crash. I was then playing some heavier stuff so I sold the 16" crash and shifted the other 2 to the left and played a 19" china on the right of my ride (2-up 1 down)

A few years away from playing with a band, and the new group I'm in isn't nearly as heavy. Here's what I'm mulling, opinions appreciated;

I'd like to have a crash ride in the China's spot there. 18" AAX Omni maybe, the 22" would be too big. But I like the AA 21" Bash ride more I think. My ride is AAX 21" RBDR though. I've always been a 3 crash guy, but I'm liking the idea of having a thinner crashy washy but still big ridey cymbal right next to my main ride.

Do you think it would work sonically? Same diameters? Any other crash rides I might consider (20"?) , and not necessarily Sabian.

Thx eh!
    18" HHX Xplosion crash would be my suggestion. It sits right above the 20" HHX stage ride I use and makes a great dark washy tones when I ride it.

User Info Menu

This may seem overly simplistic, but take a listen to a regular Sabian HH Medium Ride. Mine has a very nice crash sound, and is luscious as a ride.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Thx Spaz, Late 8, Lefty n GD Moore. What about a 19" crash that rides well too and is thinner than my current medium and medium-heavy crashes and isn't as bright? I've looked at the 19" AAX Dark Crash on Sabian's site, but can only hear the sound byte. Anyone familiar with that crash? cheers Happy Saturday to y'all

User Info Menu

There are crashes that ride well. I haven't tried that 19, but I have a 20" Sabian AAX ISO crash that I ride on with my 60's and 70's band. It reminds me of the ride on come together by the Beatles. That was the reason I bought it. Here's a clip of it. Recorded with a Zoom Q3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL4lBrjISC4
    Last edited by Lefty; 02-21-2016 at 07:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Anyone have any non brilliant finish hi-hats for sale? Would prefer XS series but could deal with anything. Just NOT brilliant finish.

User Info Menu

Just picked up my 20" HHX stage ride today and I'm loving it. Doesn't hurt that I got a great deal on it. Bought it gently used. Waiting for my HHX 14 fusion hats to be delivered. Ups says by Friday they'll be here!! Can't wait. Then my next move is a 17" Evo crash and either an 18" studio crash(hhx of course &#128521 or an extreme crash. The stage ride has nice stick definition, a killer loud bell, and a beautiful dark wash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hhxcellent11 View Post
    Just picked up my 20" HHX stage ride today and I'm loving it. Doesn't hurt that I got a great deal on it. Bought it gently used. Waiting for my HHX 14 fusion hats to be delivered. Ups says by Friday they'll be here!! Can't wait. Then my next move is a 17" Evo crash and either an 18" studio crash(hhx of course ��) or an extreme crash. The stage ride has nice stick definition, a killer loud bell, and a beautiful dark wash.
    Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the score!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hhxcellent11 View Post
    Just picked up my 20" HHX stage ride today and I'm loving it. Doesn't hurt that I got a great deal on it. Bought it gently used. Waiting for my HHX 14 fusion hats to be delivered. Ups says by Friday they'll be here!! Can't wait. Then my next move is a 17" Evo crash and either an 18" studio crash(hhx of course ��) or an extreme crash. The stage ride has nice stick definition, a killer loud bell, and a beautiful dark wash.
    I just switched out all my cymbals to Sabian. They seem to have perfected the sound my more discerning ears are looking for.

Welcome to the boards! Great choices there!
    Last edited by wOOdshedd; 02-24-2016 at 07:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Anyone have any non brilliant finish hi-hats for sale? Would prefer XS series but could deal with anything. Just NOT brilliant finish.

No "brilliant" because they sound bad, or because you want to match your other cymbals?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    No "brilliant" because they sound bad, or because you want to match your other cymbals?

GeeDeeEmm

No brilliant because I hate cleaning constantly. Brilliant finishes look great... until you've touched them and the finger print oils just start building up along the edges. Then I hate them lol

That's why on all my kits I try to stay away from brilliant finishes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    No brilliant because I hate cleaning constantly. Brilliant finishes look great... until you've touched them and the finger print oils just start building up along the edges. Then I hate them lol

That's why on all my kits I try to stay away from brilliant finishes.
    Would a light coat of polyurethane laquer on a brilliant finish cymbal stop this nasty fingerprint build up spaz?

I also hate the greasy ring of fingerprints that builds up on brilliant cymbals - I'll dampen a cloth slightly with gas and quickly wipe around them - this moves all the grease and stick poop within seconds. Make sure the cloth is DAMP and not soaked as it removes logos instantly! I know you aren't too fond of cymbal cleaning - but regular dishwashing detergent removes grease fast, won't hurt logos and only takes a few minutes - its not that much of a chore.

User Info Menu

Every once in awhile when mine get dirty I use a lime and cut it and rub that on the cymbal and it cleans really good lol I use a lime from the bar so it's free! haha

Maybe you could do a car wax...

User Info Menu

Stop touching the cymbals or wear gloves!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Would a light coat of polyurethane laquer on a brilliant finish cymbal stop this nasty fingerprint build up spaz?

I also hate the greasy ring of fingerprints that builds up on brilliant cymbals - I'll dampen a cloth slightly with gas and quickly wipe around them - this moves all the grease and stick poop within seconds. Make sure the cloth is DAMP and not soaked as it removes logos instantly! I know you aren't too fond of cymbal cleaning - but regular dishwashing detergent removes grease fast, won't hurt logos and only takes a few minutes - its not that much of a chore.
    I gave up trying to keep my cymbals finger print free. I've sent several back to Sabian for their refresh program and re-inking and that process probably made them shine the best but at $40 a cymbal, plus one way freight (Sabian picks up the return shipping), it can get pretty pricey. Bar Keepers Friend would probably be my next solution to use for my next cleaning but I keep putting it off. It's not a priority for me.

User Info Menu

I used to wax mine with car wax after I cleaned them with copper cleaner that rinsed off with water. The wax made a big difference. I hardly ever clean them any more. I use brazo when I do clean them. It buffs off leaving a light film (like wax) which keeps them looking good longer. Most of the time I just use a metal polishing cloth. I have one for trumpets etc. and another for jewelry. They work pretty good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I gave up trying to keep my cymbals finger print free. I've sent several back to Sabian for their refresh program and re-inking and that process probably made them shine the best but at $40 a cymbal, plus one way freight (Sabian picks up the return shipping), it can get pretty pricey. Bar Keepers Friend would probably be my next solution to use for my next cleaning but I keep putting it off. It's not a priority for me.

yeah that would add up super quick....

User Info Menu

Hey thanks Flybynight and Woodshed. I also just got my hhx fusion hats delivered like 30 mins ago and I love them!! That's a nice set-up you got there Woodshed!! Also ordered a SR2 17" thin crash yesterday that startex its life as an HH. Just need an 18" hhx studio or extreme and I'll be all set for now. Any advice on which one I should get? Personal experience with studio or extreme crashes in general?(not just 18" I mean) Thanks guys.

User Info Menu

I've just upgraded also my cymbal setup from Meinl Classics-series to Sabian.
    14" AAX Xplosion hats, 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry ride, 18" AAX Xplosion fast crash, 16" AAX Xplosion fast crash, 14" AAX Xplosion crash, 8" AAX Splash, 20" AAX Chinese.

Love it..!

Last edited by JuHiZz69; 04-08-2016 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Added photo

User Info Menu

[IMG][/IMG]

I got a new to me 20" HH med. ride the other day. It's pretty nice. It's a little mellower than my 60's Zild. A. It's got a more pronounce stick sound than the A and less wash. The bell is real good too. It doesn't crash very well, but I expected that. It weighs about 2480 G. I've always used a little tape under the A, this one doesn't need it. I like it, especially considering the price. $92 off of ebay.