Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Paiste Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Paiste Cymbals

You guys like the separate threads for the different drum brands in the drumset forum so here's one for Paiste Cymbals - cymbals forum. Anything Paiste can go here.

Last edited by drummer; 05-08-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: paiste cymbals, piestee, piaste, cymbal, payste, paystee, paistee

User Info Menu

Default Re: Paiste Cymbals

I've used Paiste PST5s, Alphas, and Signatures, and I am a huge Paiste fan. My current setup is all Sigs, except for my hats which are Paiste Traditionals. Those bad boys absolutely shimmer! Awesome cymbals.

I would love to hear some other Paiste users talk about the type of hi hat cymbals you use, and what you like about them.......
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

i have a paiste PST5 10" splash and i love it, when i get some cash im gonna go check out some 2oo2's
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I'm a huge advocate, currently occupying a set with all Sigs, Reflectors, and a Dark Energy Ride.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I have a few, The only one I use full time is my 8" sig splash. I also have the matching 6 & 10. In adition I have a 505 18" crash, 15" 602 high hat bottom, a pair of 2002 15" sound edges and a 10" rude splash.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I have some Alphas. 14" Medium hats, 16" medium crash, and a 20" power ride.

I quite like them. I really want to get an 18" rock crash and an 18" china.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I play mostly sigs. One experiment that is working great right now is a 14 hi-hat combo: Dark Crisp Reflector on top and Heavy on bottom.

It has this crazy mix of highs and lows that just blends together and cuts nicely through my drum mix. I absolutely love it.

I was trying to get rid of the Heavy hats, but with this economy I thought I should try to avoid getting little $ for them and get some use out of them. A happy accident to be sure!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I have a few, The only one I use full time is my 8" sig splash. I also have the matching 6 & 10. In adition I have a 505 18" crash, 15" 602 high hat bottom, a pair of 2002 15" sound edges and a 10" rude splash.
    what does the rude splash sound like? any good? i was thinking of buying one...

User Info Menu

Hello Paiste users! I currently use Sabian B8's (I know they're entry level), and am not sure as to what I should use when I upgrade. Could you guys kindly tell me what the major differences are between Paiste and Sabian and possibly other brands?
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Not the best recording but here you go

http://robertmdrums.com/images/10%20rude.mp3
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Thanks! They sound a lot brighter to me. I like the sound of that cymbal in the recording.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Anyone know what Paiste's secret alloy is that they use in their Signature line? I've heard it's B14 or B15 bronze with a small amount of phosphor, but my source wasn't exactly reliable.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I don't know what alloy they use for the signature line but boy they sound good!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Right now i have some Zildjian ZXT that came with my drumset when i bought it and i'm looking for a new set of cymbals....there's this Paiste Alpha Slipknot edition in Musician Friends that i'll like to get but i would like to get some comments on Paiste in general and this particular set (Paiste Alpha Slipknot edition)

Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

I bought my first Paiste cymbal a few months ago. It's the 24" Eclispe Rude Mega Ride and I must say it's LOUD and exactly what I wanted for many years.

I've been using a Zildgian 20" Ping ride I bought used back in the early '80s and it just didn't have enough gusto to punch through songs that were more on the heavy metal side. Having said that, I was a bit leary when I brought this beast home and played it by myself. The wash and the roar sustained while riding the cymbal. I had my wife sit behind the kit and had her ride the cymbal and I was pleasantly surprised at the drop off rate of the wash as I walked a few feet in front of the kit.

Fast forward to the next weekend and I had a chance to debut the Eclispe with 5 other members of the band I'm working with and it sounded great! The lead guitarist commented that he could finally hear the ride during his solos.

Stick definition on the Eclispe was a bit different that what I was used to. The cymbal is heavy and solid and absorbs the stick more that my Ping ride does. Subtle tones changes are evident as you ride up towards the bell or down towards the leading edge.

Speaking of the bell.....holy cow! It's big, loud and cuts straight to the chase. You won't ever miss hitting the bell on this sucker. It's ear piercing. Good for moments of zen when the guitar player is at 11 on his volumne knob.

All in all the 24" Rude Eclispe Mega Ride is designed exactly what its meant for. Listen to any SOAD tunes to hear it in action. Way to go John! Thanks for creating the ultimate rock ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I bought my first Paiste cymbal a few months ago. It's the 24" Eclispe Rude Mega Ride and I must say it's LOUD and exactly what I wanted for many years.

I've been using a Zildgian 20" Ping ride I bought used back in the early '80s and it just didn't have enough gusto to punch through songs that were more on the heavy metal side. Having said that, I was a bit leary when I brought this beast home and played it by myself. The wash and the roar sustained while riding the cymbal. I had my wife sit behind the kit and had her ride the cymbal and I was pleasantly surprised at the drop off rate of the wash as I walked a few feet in front of the kit.

Fast forward to the next weekend and I had a chance to debut the Eclispe with 5 other members of the band I'm working with and it sounded great! The lead guitarist commented that he could finally hear the ride during his solos.

Stick definition on the Eclispe was a bit different that what I was used to. The cymbal is heavy and solid and absorbs the stick more that my Ping ride does. Subtle tones changes are evident as you ride up towards the bell or down towards the leading edge.

Speaking of the bell.....holy cow! It's big, loud and cuts straight to the chase. You won't ever miss hitting the bell on this sucker. It's ear piercing. Good for moments of zen when the guitar player is at 11 on his volumne knob.

All in all the 24" Rude Eclispe Mega Ride is designed exactly what its meant for. Listen to any SOAD tunes to hear it in action. Way to go John! Thanks for creating the ultimate rock ride.

What a wonderful cymbal! Huge bell!

Tomorrow my 17" Alpha Rock Crash will arrive :D cant wait
    IRON MAIDEN

User Info Menu

^Cool, tell us what you think!

User Info Menu

Hi Guys

I have a question about the quality on the Slipknot Alphas...

Some people say that they are painted and some others say that ther have an special treatment that protects the colour yet gives a good sound not like the ones from the pitch black series from Zildjian...

What do you know about this?

If you look in Paiste's web page you'll find out that "ColorSound optimizes the effect of a coating on cymbal sound and is extremely durable" according to them...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
    Mapex MB 8"-10"-12"-14"-22"-14"
    Zildjian ZXT Rock
    Remo Heads
    Regal Sticks

User Info Menu

if the alphas are good than id venture to guess those are good too, its just for people who want black cymbals. i kinda wish more higher end lines would come in black finishes, but i mean a pure black cymbal, not a powder coated one
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

A Giant (Beat) among men...

I just added a Giant Beat 24" Ride to my Paiste collection. The rest are all Signatures, but this one blends in perfectly. Sadly, I had to trade in a 21" Signature Full Ride to get it. Liked that ride, too, but it's a heavier ride without much crashability, something I need. The Giant Beat has a great wash and an incredibly HUGE crash. Here are a few pics...

BTW--Colorsound is not paint but some kind of plastic coating (currently also used in blue on the Stewart Copeland Signature ride), and it's much more durable and better-looking than a painted finish would be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

that is an awesome ride
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Nice ride...love the drums too.

User Info Menu

These are all Signatures...

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Your kit looks sweet Scooter!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Paiste Cymbals

wow you guys have some high quality cymbals. im not so lucky as im only 15 and iv been playing almost 2 years, i have 16" pst5 rock crash, 101 20" ride, 14" pst3 hats, pst5 18" china and my favourite cymbal the little 10" alpha splash. id say im fairly ucky but im looking to get either a dark metal 22" signature ride or another splash cymbal( 8" twenty series i hope
    im owed around £500 so i may be able to find them both, but when push comes to shove i may get another crash for riding mostly. but kudo's to you guys on your magnificent cymbals
    Paiste Posse

making a snare drum. any advice would be greatly appreciated! pm me if you could help at all.

BRAIN ANEURISM!