Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Meinl Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Meinl Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by rrfpacker View Post
    Quick question for all you Meinl folks. I bought my first Byzance this week, an 18" Dark crash, that might be the beginning of my conversion from AAX. Thinking about getting a ride and hi hats next.

What have you found to be the difference between the Dark Rides and Dark Raw Bell Rides? Is the only difference that the bell has more focus? Does the bell change how the cymbal sounds and reacts? I don't have a place close to listen so I'm looking for some thoughts.

Thanks.
    Thw Dark Bell Ride is slighter heavier…so it has got more "ping"-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkko DeMaio View Post
    Thw Dark Bell Ride is slighter heavier…so it has got more "ping"-
    Thank you. On youtube the raw bell seems to have more wash with the ping, and the dark seems a bit more crashable. Is that your experience?
    Tama Silverstar Red and Black Fade

Pork Pie BOB 14x6.5

AAX Crashes
    16" Ozone
    18", 19" Fast
    17", 18", and 19" Freq

Paiste 2002 24" Ride
    Paiste 2002 14" Hi hat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rrfpacker View Post
    Thank you. On youtube the raw bell seems to have more wash with the ping, and the dark seems a bit more crashable. Is that your experience?
    Exactly.

User Info Menu

I played Meinl Once... and I was impressed by the sound quality of even their cheapest cymbals....

User Info Menu

It depends the time you played them. Before 2005 Meinl had fewer cymbals line than today which means that their cymbals were better in comparison with Paiste ,Zildjian etc .

User Info Menu

Hey guys! I'm in a conundrum right now. I can't decide between the Zildjian K Hybrid 14" Hi Hats and the Meinl Byzance 14" Fast Hats. I love them both, but I can't decide which one i like more. I'n in a band playing a mix from classic rock to punk to metal to jazz. I like the Zildjian K Hybrids because of the chic and heavier, deeper sound, but I also love the Meinl Byzance Fast Hats with vents and the fast, click kind of sound. I really can't decide which I like more and I was wondering if you guys could help. Thanks!

SETUP

• DW Performance Series - Black Diamond Finish Ply
    • Pearl 1983 Brass Free Floating Snare
    • Zildjian A 20" Crash
    • Zildjian Z Custom 19" Crash
    • Zildjian K Hybrid 22" Ride
    • Zildjian 18" Trash Oriental China
    • Zildjian ZHT 8" Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bite The Sky View Post
    Hey guys! I'm in a conundrum right now. I can't decide between the Zildjian K Hybrid 14" Hi Hats and the Meinl Byzance 14" Fast Hats. I love them both, but I can't decide which one i like more. I'n in a band playing a mix from classic rock to punk to metal to jazz. I like the Zildjian K Hybrids because of the chic and heavier, deeper sound, but I also love the Meinl Byzance Fast Hats with vents and the fast, click kind of sound. I really can't decide which I like more and I was wondering if you guys could help. Thanks!

SETUP

• DW Performance Series - Black Diamond Finish Ply
    • Pearl 1983 Brass Free Floating Snare
    • Zildjian A 20" Crash
    • Zildjian Z Custom 19" Crash
    • Zildjian K Hybrid 22" Ride
    • Zildjian 18" Trash Oriental China
    • Zildjian ZHT 8" Splash
    If it was me..........I'd go with the K hybrids...................

User Info Menu

My Meinl cymbal family ( Classics, Classics Custom, including the new Classics Custom Dark Ride)

User Info Menu

New dark stuff for me
    Byzance Extra Dry china 18"
    Byzance Vintage Pure Light ride 22"
    Byzance Extra Dry Mike Johnston's Transition ride 21"
    Byzance Vintage Trash crash 18"
    Byzance Vintage Medium crash 18"
    Byzance Vintage Sand hat 14"

They sound absolutely phenomenal!

[IMG][/IMG]

Some of them on my "heavy" kit

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

I'm taking my first leap into meinl. Just bought a 10" piccolo china. Hope it sounds like it did on the videos.and sound samples.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

BackStreetDrums Guest

Always a 'Turkey' guy (hold off the sarcasm), I have been a Bosphorus, and Bosphorus lover only.

Recently looked into the Byzance line, splurged on an ebay deal where I offered, and was accepted, a 20" Byzance Sand thin crash for $240.It is a 'store demo' still covered with a 2yr warranty, so I had to 'chance' it...It is on the way, purchased with no sound file other than seeing one at local GC.

Looking forward to its arrival this week. This may be the start of my conversion to the Byzance line. I need to sell some Bos pies...would like to add an 18" Dry crash, and Jazz ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BackStreetDrums View Post
    Always a 'Turkey' guy (hold off the sarcasm), I have been a Bosphorus, and Bosphorus lover only.

Recently looked into the Byzance line, splurged on an ebay deal where I offered, and was accepted, a 20" Byzance Sand thin crash for $240.It is a 'store demo' still covered with a 2yr warranty, so I had to 'chance' it...It is on the way, purchased with no sound file other than seeing one at local GC.

Looking forward to its arrival this week. This may be the start of my conversion to the Byzance line. I need to sell some Bos pies...would like to add an 18" Dry crash, and Jazz ride.
    I love my 18" Sand thin crash, I could only imagine the 20" would be just as awesome. I could see my self getting that one eventually but for now my 20" Traditional Hand Hammered crash fits my needs

Love the Byzance line, so many unique sounds from this line
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

I used to have a Byzance Dark China 18" that thing was an absolute beast. I'm a Sabian guy myself, but man.. That China was amazing.
    Sabian AAX Xplosion crash 18"
    Sabian AAX Xplosion crash 16"
    Sabian AAX Xplosion hats 14"
    Sabian Vault Holy China 19"
    LP Ice Bell 7" (love it)
    Sabian AA 12" Mini China

BackStreetDrums Guest

I took the plunge....sold off some Bos pies, replaced with Byzance..got the 20" I mentioned above, since then , added an 18" Jazz crash....trying to sell a 21" Bos Master ride..when I do, will get a Byzance NY Ride..

Meinl has converted me from years behind Bosphorus to their Byzance line.

BackStreetDrums Guest

Hey gearwhore, I have a question.

Looking for a nice Byzance jazz ride that is very close to the traditional jazz sound of the 50's-60's.

I am on the fence between the Big Apple Ride or the New Tradition 22" Light Jazz ride...any thoughts? Perhaps another in the Byzance Jazz series?

User Info Menu

You'd be a great guy to ask this to then:

If I wanted to replicate an Electrostack with Zildjian, how would I do so? Which cymbal combo can come closest?

BackStreetDrums Guest

Looking for a Byzance ride that is very similar to a Bosphorus Master Vintage FLAT ride/click click woody sound...would that be the Byzance Dark Ride, Dry Ride or the new Vintage Pure Ride?

Yes, would be easier to buy a Bos, but I am sold on the Byzance series, and that is what I have, so wish to 'stay in the family'
    Last edited by BackStreetDrums; 12-02-2014 at 05:23 PM.

User Info Menu

So guess who bought a Meinl Byzance Sand Ride today? Not me because I bought Meinl Byzance Traditional heavy Hi hats 14" Next to brand new. for a bargain £190. Amazing hi hats. Hmm..Meinl Byzance Trad medium crashes next..
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Update: Still loving the Byzance Heavy Hi Hats. I also bought a Meinl Byzance Traditional Byzance Crash 18" I got it today can't wait to play it
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    12/14/20

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Played I love it so much! Meinl Byzance's traditional range is the perfect range along with Zildian K's

Grear List
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    12/14/20

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

mine

BackStreetDrums Guest

Looking for a Byzance ride that is very similar to a Bosphorus Master Vintage FLAT ride/click click woody sound...would that be the Byzance Dark Ride, Dry Ride or the new Vintage Pure Ride?

Yes, would be easier to buy a Bos, but I am sold on the Byzance series, and that is what I have, so wish to 'stay in the family'
    ANYONE????

User Info Menu

In the past month I've replaced all my crashes with Meinl Byzance cymbals. These are absolutely amazing. Next, to replace my ride with a 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride...though I'm happy with my hats, splashes, chinas and stacks so will probably keep all of those as is.
    16" Vintage Crash
    16" Dark Crash
    17" Extra Dry Thin Crash
    18" Traditional Extra Thin Hammered Crash
    The 17" Extra Dry can even be used as a dry ride. They all have a really dark, earthy sound to them and are very responsive.

Also in response to earlier comments, the Byzance line is hand-hammered in Turkey. From what I've been told, Meinl has their own factory there. The other lines such as Soundcaster, MB20, GenerationX etc are made in Germany, most if not all by machine.

User Info Menu

Meinl does make flat rides as well. I think they're only prototypes, but do some searching and you may find them for sale.

BackStreetDrums Guest

Found a 20" Extra Thin Jazz ride...how would this work as a jazz crash?

Too much sustain? Enough?...would use more as a crash than ride...priced locally really low...beats cost of a jazz crash which is why considering.