Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Meinl Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Meinl Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkko DeMaio View Post
    mine

Beautiful setup, the rug is very nice too. Those look like a lot of fun to play!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Jdrum1 Guest

Really like my Sand Hats and would like to add the 20" Sand Ride.

I would never purchase equipment based on the fact that it's got a particular artist name on it, but I really like the sound of Benny's line.

User Info Menu

Anyone with any experience with a Meinl 21" Byzance Jazz Ralph Peterson Signature Nuance Ride Cymbal w/ Rivets? I heard them on the 'net, and really was impressed, but would appreciate input from anyone who's heard or played one.
    Last edited by cabasner; 07-19-2015 at 08:17 AM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Anyone with any experience with a Meinl 21" Byzance Jazz Ralph Peterson Signature Nuance Ride Cymbal w/ Rivets? I heard them on the 'net, and really was impressed, but would appreciate input from anyone who's heard or played one.
    I have never played that model in person. I think it just came out recently (earlier this year maybe). But Meinl makes some of the best sounding rides around in my opinion, especially the lighter to medium ones. Maybe if you have a local shop around they can get it in?

User Info Menu

I've just joined drum chat, so this is my first post.
    I had to post it on the meinl cymbal topics page cause I have fallen in love with these cymbals!
    I currently have cymbals from the MB10 line, soundcaster custom, and classic custom.
    I can't say enough about them. I play mostly rock and the brightness, loudness and musicality of these is tremendous!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat! You'll find this to be a fantastic place. Everyone is nice and helpful. No such thing as a dumb question (believe me, I've had many!). Enjoy your stay!!
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DarylP View Post
    I've just joined drum chat, so this is my first post.
    I had to post it on the meinl cymbal topics page cause I have fallen in love with these cymbals!
    I currently have cymbals from the MB10 line, soundcaster custom, and classic custom.
    I can't say enough about them. I play mostly rock and the brightness, loudness and musicality of these is tremendous!
    Welcome to DC Daryl

dmacc Guest

I have one and love it. I also have the Symmetry. I pair these with a Transition Ride and Bosphorus New Orleans hats and crashes. Great stuff.

User Info Menu

With the Byzance series being a tad too rich for my blood, I have been looking pretty closely at the Classics Custom darks.. anyone own these? I watched a YouTube video with Benny Greb playing them.. I like what I heard and the price doesn't seem too outta line for my budget!
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

That particular youtube video sounded great. I've never tried these. The only Classics Custom I have used (and still do) is a 12" CC Trash Splash, which sounds cool on its own but is even better as a stacker cymbal...great for effects! If there are any local shops that carry the CC Dark line you could go test them out. I believe one of my local shops has some so if you haven't decided by the next time I go there (it will be a while), I can test them out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    That particular youtube video sounded great. I've never tried these. The only Classics Custom I have used (and still do) is a 12" CC Trash Splash, which sounds cool on its own but is even better as a stacker cymbal...great for effects! If there are any local shops that carry the CC Dark line you could go test them out. I believe one of my local shops has some so if you haven't decided by the next time I go there (it will be a while), I can test them out.
    I actually owned Meinl way back in the mid late 1980s.. RAKER series. I remember them being a perfect fit for the corporate "metal" covers I was playing with my band at the time. Every time I'm at my LDS I head for the Byzace hats and crashes.. Mannn.. I just cant get enough of those! Problem is, I would need to lead a life of crime to afford them! So far, my LDS hasn't has any of the CCDs in to try, but if they sound like the ones Benny was playing in the video.. I'm interested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
    I have one and love it. I also have the Symmetry. I pair these with a Transition Ride and Bosphorus New Orleans hats and crashes. Great stuff.
    Wow, fantastic! I've had others write that I should keep my Zildjian cymbals if I decided to get the Meinls, apparently the idea being that I might not be happy with the switch. I wonder if you owned and played a different brand of cymbals before you got the Meinls, and how you found them compared to your former cymbals. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Last edited by cabasner; 12-17-2015 at 06:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow, fantastic! I've had others write that I should keep my Zildjian cymbals if I decided to get the Meinls, apparently the idea being that I might not be happy wit the switch. I wonder if you owned and played a different brand of cymbals before you got the Meinls, and how you found them compared to your former cymbals. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Personally I have owned and played cymbals from almost every well-known brand out there. I buy and sell cymbals online all the time as well so I've gotten all kinds of high-end stuff from Zildjian, Sabian, etc. Out of all the cymbals I've ever owned (either for use or for sale) the Meinls are hands down the best. The whole Byzance series could be an entire cymbal company in itself as there are 6 lines within that group of cymbals which cover everything from bright A and A Custom-type sounds to very unique models that the other big companies just don't have. The Meinl cymbals just seem to have more character than Zildjian for example...maybe it's the hand hammering whereas all Zildjians (correct me if I'm wrong) are 100% machine-made now.

User Info Menu

Personally I have owned and played cymbals from almost every well-known brand out there. I buy and sell cymbals online all the time as well so I've gotten all kinds of high-end stuff from Zildjian, Sabian, etc. Out of all the cymbals I've ever owned (either for use or for sale) the Meinls are hands down the best. The whole Byzance series could be an entire cymbal company in itself as there are 6 lines within that group of cymbals which cover everything from bright A and A Custom-type sounds to very unique models that the other big companies just don't have. The Meinl cymbals just seem to have more character than Zildjian for example...maybe it's the hand hammering whereas all Zildjians (correct me if I'm wrong) are 100% machine-made now.
    Interesting...thanks for the response. I guess your response, and that of the person who suggested holding onto my Zildjians, just proves that we all have tastes and opinions. I also suppose that taste in cymbals is no different than taste in drums, both manufacturers, wood types, etc. As in guitars, why does one player play Fender, another Gibson, and on and on. Great to know your thoughts, though. I would love to try that Nuance Ride. I think it sounds fantastic on the internet, and it looks beautiful as well.

User Info Menu

Has anyone ever played the classics custom cymbals?
    I have only the splash at the moment and it's absolutely amazing, sounds exactly like a splash should sound. Just wondering how the other, larger cymbals sound.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    Has anyone ever played the classics custom cymbals?
    I have only the splash at the moment and it's absolutely amazing, sounds exactly like a splash should sound. Just wondering how the other, larger cymbals sound.
    I have played the series and think its a bit underrated. I actually just added a Classics Custom Dark 19" crash today. Sweet cymbal! Can't afford the Byzance series, but these? Oh yeah!

User Info Menu

I find myself outside the Meinl camp on account of price. (same with UFIP and others) If it costs as much and in some cases, more than K Zildjians, why not stick with a proven winner?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I find myself outside the Meinl camp on account of price. (same with UFIP and others) If it costs as much and in some cases, more than K Zildjians, why not stick with a proven winner?

all the best...
    It may be different where you are, but in the US, Meinl Byzance cymbals are quite a bit cheaper than Zildjian K's (generally $20 to $40 less)
    They also, to my ears, sound 1000 times better than any Zildjian.
    So it's a no-brainer for me there.

User Info Menu

It may be different where you are, but in the US, Meinl Byzance cymbals are quite a bit cheaper than Zildjian K's (generally $20 to $40 less)
    I agree to a point, although I do love the Zildjian K Custom Hybrids. The Meinl Byzance are really something special. I love the Classics and Classics Custom series as well. I found pricing to be a little less comparing Byzance to K Zildjians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Meinl has their own sound going which some may find better suited to their individual taste. I own, Paiste, Zildjian and now Meinl as well. I found something I like from those brands that work for my palette of sounds nicely.

User Info Menu

Well, with all these Meinl supportive posts, guess I need to find the money to get that Nuance Ride and see for myself...unfortunately, I have to shell out $1K+, probably next week, for my new DW SuperSolid snare...then I'll just have to see 🙄

User Info Menu

I go mostly by what I see online like MF etc...

all the best...

dmacc Guest

Wow, fantastic! I've had others write that I should keep my Zildjian cymbals if I decided to get the Meinls, apparently the idea being that I might not be happy with the switch. I wonder if you owned and played a different brand of cymbals before you got the Meinls, and how you found them compared to your former cymbals. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Sorry late to respond. Yes, I own several cymbals from Zildjian, Paiste, Agop, and Bosphorus. I'd keep your Zildjians as well. Just because they will be different than the Meinl, not because they are better or worse.

Sound choices are nice to have available as moods change.

User Info Menu

I almost pulled the trigger on a 18" Meinl Orchestral suspended cymbal. It had that gorgeous lush shimmer that I've been looking for in a jazz crash (according to sound files) It came in a tad cheaper than the corresponding Zildjian as well.
    I wound up finding a used Kerope for a great price and went with that. Thought it would be nice to have one set up with all in the family cymbals. (K Con ride and K hat top over Zildjian bottom)

User Info Menu

What's up everyone been awhile! Long story short, I once had a 20"Sand Ride but sold it to fund a 22" Sand/Crash Ride but never got it....until now!
    I'm happy to say just last week I finally found one that I am very happy with

Here she is on my breakbeats kit along with the Sand thin crash and Fast hats. Went with this set up for rehearsal last Friday.
    My initial thoughts are that it crashes really nice, controlled wash, nice stick definition, bell isn't as bright as I'm used to but I
    wanted a different sound anyway...VERY happy and I'm glad I waited to get it.
    Last edited by Jemini; 02-07-2016 at 02:50 PM.
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)