Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bosphorous Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bosphorous Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Nice selection of rides you have there!

Once you go Bosphorus, you never go back though...
    I agree 100%

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Nice selection of rides you have there!

Once you go Bosphorus, you never go back though...
    I have a feeling that you may be right...spent some time last night playing and I am really digging it...

It is nice to have different cymbals for different applications. I am afraid that I am becoming a bit of a cymbal-a-holic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer_chick View Post
    I have a feeling that you may be right...spent some time last night playing and I am really digging it...

It is nice to have different cymbals for different applications. I am afraid that I am becoming a bit of a cymbal-a-holic.
    Actually, I have a bosphorus 20" traditional ride at the moment, and I'm going to trade it in tomorrow for a dream 19" bliss.

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried the Master series hats? I'm selling my Turks to my drum teacher who has a full set of Turk series minus the hats. I found the fully unlathed cymbals to be a tad dry for my taste, my turk crash was traded out for a traditional series that I like much better. The hats worked amazingly for funk and rock and heavier groove stuff, but they were just too chunky for jazz. I'm looking at a pair of 13" Master Series, but I'm aprehensive due to the bottom sides being unlathed. I'm looking for more of a sizzly jazz sound. Has anyone tried them out, how dry are they?

User Info Menu

bosphorous cymbals are THE best for jazz that i have ever heard
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Has anyone tried the Master series hats? I'm selling my Turks to my drum teacher who has a full set of Turk series minus the hats. I found the fully unlathed cymbals to be a tad dry for my taste, my turk crash was traded out for a traditional series that I like much better. The hats worked amazingly for funk and rock and heavier groove stuff, but they were just too chunky for jazz. I'm looking at a pair of 13" Master Series, but I'm aprehensive due to the bottom sides being unlathed. I'm looking for more of a sizzly jazz sound. Has anyone tried them out, how dry are they?
    I had the opportunity to try some 13" master's hats that had half wide lathes on top and half tight lathes. They sounded nearly perfect. I'd be worried about cutting a little, but otherwise the sound is washy but with stick definition and a great chick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SladeGT40 View Post
    I had the opportunity to try some 13" master's hats that had half wide lathes on top and half tight lathes. They sounded nearly perfect. I'd be worried about cutting a little, but otherwise the sound is washy but with stick definition and a great chick.
    Thanks Slade, just what I needed to know, now if I can only get the seller to come down a bit on his price...

User Info Menu

Thanks Slade, just what I needed to know, now if I can only get the seller to come down a bit on his price...
    Well, I couldn't get the seller to budge on the Master hats, but I found a nice deal and pulled the trigger on some Stanton Moore Fat Hats . I'll be sure to post pics and a review when they show up.

User Info Menu

nice choice as well. i have the 20" wide ride and my eye on a trash crash and pang thang

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SladeGT40 View Post
    nice choice as well. i have the 20" wide ride and my eye on a trash crash and pang thang
    I've heard great reviews about the wide ride, though I haven't had the chance to play one. I like the wide lathing on the bottom of the Stanton cymbals, like a mix between the New Orleans series and the traditional lathing on top. I think I'm going to like these hats better than the Turks.

User Info Menu

I've heard great reviews about the wide ride, though I haven't had the chance to play one. I like the wide lathing on the bottom of the Stanton cymbals, like a mix between the New Orleans series and the traditional lathing on top. I think I'm going to like these hats better than the Turks.
    stanton rules
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    stanton rules
    Indeed he does... by the way I'm thoroughly enjoying the Fat Hats. Nice and crisp when closed yet light and trashy with nice sizzle when slightly opened. Excellent hats for jazz or funk. They are a much better fit for me than the dry Turks were.

User Info Menu

I just acquired my first set of Bos cymbals. Used but not abused... and they were a steal!

13in Antique hats
    19in Antique ride
    20in Masters ride

What a departure from ALL my other cymbals (mostly Paistes)! I'm gonna have to learn how to "work" these cymbals into my current material, but it should be fun. No doubt if I have to sell them I will end up ahead of what I paid.

I'll try to get some vids or sound files up soon.

Also - I was surprised at the dryness of the Antiques. Sound files led me to believe they weren't quite so dry as what I'm hearing in front of me.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Scottie, I have been playing mostly Bosphorous since I got back into drumming last year and am very impressed with quality and sound. With my NC's I use Stanton Moore 22" Wide Ride, 20" Turk Series Ride, Stanton Moore 18" Smash Crash and 14" Traditional Hats.

The Renowns are currently set up with 21" Masters Vintage (only 1853g), 21" Stanton Moore Wide Ride, 16" Zildjian Fast Crash and 14" Traditional Hats.

Since I have been playing Jazz and Blues these have worked well, I will add some others better suited for the Classic Rock I am getting back into in the near future.

Enjoy them!
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STACK57 View Post
    The Renowns are currently set up with 21" Masters Vintage (only 1853g), 21" Stanton Moore Wide Ride, 16" Zildjian Fast Crash and 14" Traditional Hats.

Wait they make a 21" Stanton Moore Ride? I thought only 20 and 22.

User Info Menu

My bad Slade, should have written as 20" Wide Ride.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STACK57 View Post
    My bad Slade, should have written as 20" Wide Ride.
    thought so. It is one of my favorite rides and has become my primary crash cause its so buttery

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    I just acquired my first set of Bos cymbals. Used but not abused... and they were a steal!

13in Antique hats
    19in Antique ride
    20in Masters ride

What a departure from ALL my other cymbals (mostly Paistes)! I'm gonna have to learn how to "work" these cymbals into my current material, but it should be fun. No doubt if I have to sell them I will end up ahead of what I paid.

I'll try to get some vids or sound files up soon.

Also - I was surprised at the dryness of the Antiques. Sound files led me to believe they weren't quite so dry as what I'm hearing in front of me.

Nice little setup you scored Scottie, welcome to the Bosphorus club! Bosphorus is definitely a different animal than the big 3, it can certainly take a little time to get used to the complexity. I agree with you about the Antiques, very dry, they look better than they sound in my opinion, but thats just my taste, some love the unlathed sound. The traditional models are my favorite, and I find them to be the most versatile. Congrats on your purchase, would love to hear exactly how good of a deal you got!

User Info Menu

Nice little setup you scored Scottie, welcome to the Bosphorus club! Bosphorus is definitely a different animal than the big 3, it can certainly take a little time to get used to the complexity. I agree with you about the Antiques, very dry, they look better than they sound in my opinion, but thats just my taste, some love the unlathed sound. The traditional models are my favorite, and I find them to be the most versatile. Congrats on your purchase, would love to hear exactly how good of a deal you got!
    Gretschhead
    Each ride was $100, and the hats were $125. Knowing this, I bought them after a few stick hits.

Hard to say if they'll be part of my "permanent" collection (ha!), but I can say for certain that I am definitely playing them a LOT differently than my Paistes. They are way thinner than any cymbals I've owned previously. I started my drumming career on Paiste RUDES, for goodness' sake!

Update: just bought a New Orleans 21 inch ride on the 'bay. I'm now up to 6 cymbals in the past 3 weeks... so now it's time to unload 6 Paistes. Decisions, decisions!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    Gretschhead
    Each ride was $100, and the hats were $125. Knowing this, I bought them after a few stick hits.

Hard to say if they'll be part of my "permanent" collection (ha!), but I can say for certain that I am definitely playing them a LOT differently than my Paistes. They are way thinner than any cymbals I've owned previously. I started my drumming career on Paiste RUDES, for goodness' sake!

Update: just bought a New Orleans 21 inch ride on the 'bay. I'm now up to 6 cymbals in the past 3 weeks... so now it's time to unload 6 Paistes. Decisions, decisions!

You got a great deal on those! Have you gotten the NO ride yet? I've been wanting to play one of the rides forever now, but have only heard the crashes in person. Give us a review when you get it.

User Info Menu

You got a great deal on those! Have you gotten the NO ride yet? I've been wanting to play one of the rides forever now, but have only heard the crashes in person. Give us a review when you get it.
    Should have it next week. Picked up on the 'bay for $155 in ex condition.

Last week I bought a Paiste Twenty 16 inch crash for $120, also in ex condition. I've hard good cymbal karma this month. Time to pay it forward...
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

the New Orleans is one of my favorite rides and was my first Bosphorus. its greasy and washy but never loses stick definition.

User Info Menu

Hey guys.

I bumped into two funny cymbals. Did not try them out yet.

The first one is a Bosphorus 18" 'extra heavy ride', which appears not to belong to any line. It only bears the Bosphorus logo and the mention 'extra heavy ride'. And it indeed is heavy, as it weighs 2300g. The description says "very clear ping, very short sustain".

The second one is a Bosphorus 22" Ferit Series 'heavy ride' Turk. Again, it sure is heavy: 3450g! Why, that is by far the heaviest Bosphorus I've ever seen. Its weight supposedly confers it a great versatility.

I wanted to get a 22" Turk ride, I love its earthy, dry and controlled sound. But up until now, all the 22" rides I tried out weighed no more than 2400/2500g. I've always been scared of heavy cymbals. What do you think about those?

By the way, I mostly play Jazz.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

I'd definitely play those cymbals and decide whether or not YOU like them. Those are definitely some heavy cymbals, which is not the norm with Bosphorus stuff. Everyone has their own opinion on what sounds good though, just because all the jazzers tell you to get the thinnest cymbals you can find for jazz, doesn't mean you can't make a heavier cymbal sound good. The turk series is very dry and typically doesn't have much sustain and wash to it, a heavier model turk sounds better in my opinion than a thin one. If you can't play it in person, check online for sound files of a similar weight cymbal to see if you like it, there are lots of bosphorus files online.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your answer.

I generally prefer thin cymbals. Had some bad experience with heavier ones. That's why I'm scared. I can't try them out in person, and it's extremely hard to find Bosphorus pies where I live. I've been searching the Internet for two days, and found absolutely nothing about the first one (looks like it doesn't even exist). I found lots of files and reviews about the 22" Turk ride, but all those cymbals are 2400/2500g. I just can not find any Bosphorus in that weight range.

It's a pretty good deal, but I don't want to end up with a loud as hell, unplayable gong.