Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bosphorous Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bosphorous Cymbals

You're definitely at a crossroads without being able to hear them first. You might ask the seller if they are able to make a recording for you, that would atleast give you a little peace of mind. You can always buy and try, resell if you aren't happy with them, Bosphorus is pretty easy stuff to move. My knowledge is limited to the cymbals I've tried, and I've never played a Bos as heavy as either of these, but it is my personal opinion that the heavier Turks I have played sounded better to my ears than the thinner ones, 3450gs is pretty darn heavy though.

User Info Menu

Yep, I'm asking the seller for some sound.

You can always buy and try, resell if you aren't happy with them, Bosphorus is pretty easy stuff to move.
    Not in France. Those are very uncommon here.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

man that has a beautiful crash sound! congratulations!
    Pearl Export with Remo's and Evans
    Sabian AAX-plosion 16" Crash
    Sabian AAX 16" Stage Crash
    Meinl Classics 10" splash
    Sabian AA Fusion 13" hi hats
    Sabian 21" AA Dry Ride with rivets
    Some weird little cymbal that I drilled holes in.

User Info Menu

Looking into a set of bosphorus golds. 14 inch hats 16 crash 20 inch ride. Play a hard rock style and like the cymbals to cut through. Any opinions?
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Here it is. This is simply the most beautiful cymbal I've ever heard. The only drawback is that it has a limited volume range, in loud amplified settings it's just not going to cut through. Not a big deal though - that's not what it's meant for.

User Info Menu

I totally want that ride. I have some bosphorus too. Love the turk cymbals.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yoJ3PIXbcs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yoJ3PIXbcs[/ame]
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Although I already own Zildjian Constantinoples and even an old "K" that was made in Istanbul, I I'm always in the for new and different cymbal.

I have Bosphorus 20" Traditional medium thin ride, 18" Traditional thin crash and a 17" Traditional paper thin crash. Currently I am using them with Constantinople hats and a couple of K Custom crashes and they fit in well.

I'm going to continue to pick up other Bosphorus cymbals as I can.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Just picked up gold series 14 bright hats, 16 power crash and 20 medium ride and 10 splash. They truly are amazing sounding cymbals. Love the brilliant finish on this series

User Info Menu

Just heard from bosphorus USA that the gold range has been discontinued but that's not say they won't be back. Glad I got mine already. I must have a thing for discontinued gear. Gretsch Catalina birch now the bosphorus gold.

User Info Menu

Not just Gold series... Oracle and New Orleans were also discontinued...
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    Not just Gold series... Oracle and New Orleans were also discontinued...
    last time i spoke to michael vosbein he mentioned nothing about the oracle series, its too new of a series to go so quick. you sure its gone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsshortstack22 View Post
    Oh cool, first post.

How do you guys like the Stanton Moore series?
    Yes, I play Bosphorus cymbals and most of them are the stanton moore series. I also have some master series, one of which is an old one that is thin, dark, and beautiful. I have two wide rides that I like a lot. There is a stanton "smash crash' that is nice, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steamclock View Post
    Here it is. This is simply the most beautiful cymbal I've ever heard. The only drawback is that it has a limited volume range, in loud amplified settings it's just not going to cut through. Not a big deal though - that's not what it's meant for.
    Yeah, I know what you mean about the volume thing with bosphorus. That being said, I play in a very loud setting sometimes and I use a couple of stanton moore rides - one as a crash. Surprisingly, they hold up pretty well. I've only cracked one 18' crash. The Ignacio Barroa hi hats are great for anytime you need to cut through, too. I love the turk series, especially the 20" ride. The only thing possibly better for Jazz is the old K sound, in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by t.ice View Post
    Yes, I play Bosphorus cymbals and most of them are the stanton moore series. I also have some master series, one of which is an old one that is thin, dark, and beautiful. I have two wide rides that I like a lot. There is a stanton "smash crash' that is nice, too.
    I also have several stanton series. the trash crash in particular cuts like nothing else also my 20" wide ride is my primary crash and i love it. thinking about the 22" at some point but it will have to wait until my one-off 15" antique crisp hats come in which should be any day now

User Info Menu

The music store I work in just started carrying Bosphorus. On our first shipment, the absolute best of the bunch is a pair of 14" Antique series hats. Gorgeous!

User Info Menu

I like that series very much. I endorse Bosphorus and have a bunch of different ones, but I have more of that series than others. I have two wide rides and I especially like the 22". The smash crashes are also nice. I do wish the 22 would have a bell that is heavy, like a new k custom, but that is not in the cards it seems.

User Info Menu

Nice lookin cymbal you got there Steam!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'll be honest all of the bosphorus cymbals I have seen in drum stores look really ugly to me. the almost leopard spotted design really throws me off. I guess I'm just not into em right now. Maybe those are just the ones I saw. I dunno. I'm new at this.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

BackStreetDrums Guest

My local pro-drum shop is selling Bosphorus @ 50% off this weekend. Wish I had some 'free' change. Even at 50% off, still out of reach for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steamclock View Post
    Oh my god. The master rides are seriously the greatest cymbals ever, second maybe only to the old K Zildjians or spizzichinos. I want one of these.

dmacc Guest

This thread hasn't seen any action in a long time so I'll ask...

Any Bosphorus fans here?

BackStreetDrums Guest

I have been a Bos supporter for years...6 months ago I experience a Meinl Byzance ride. It was beautiful.

Since then, I had departed with a Bos Master Series Ride and a Bos Master Crash. I have gone to 'the other side', and now own a 20" Byzance Vintage Crash, 18" Byzance Jazz crash, and in the process of getting a 20" Byzance NY Ride...I love the Byzance series.
    No reflection on Bosphorus. They are great pies, but it is all about finding your 'voice', and it was hidden away in Meinl....on the radar, Meinl Vintage Hats..

User Info Menu

Most likely the next edition to my setup:
    http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/fi...54325.jpg.html
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Picked up a 21in Antique flat for $150 on Craigslist.
    Very playable.
    Thinking about sending it out for cleaning to a place in LA that does logo's and cleaning for $40 bucks.

User Info Menu

Small bell = small volume,but it is what it is.