Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bosphorous Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Bosphorous Cymbals

You guys like the separate threads for the different drum brands in the drumset forum so here's one for Bosphorous Cymbals - cymbals forum. Anything Bosphorous can go here.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bosphorous Cymbals

Oh cool, first post.

How do you guys like the Stanton Moore series?

User Info Menu

I haven't ever played the Stanton line, but all the Bosphorus cymbals I have played have been a cut above anything else. They are like vintage Ks. Stanton is the man though, Galactic is one of my favorite bands. I've seen them probably 20 times and man does he groove!

User Info Menu

Imho, I have never seen the name bosphorous
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Bosphorus cymbals are a definite market niche for the jazz artists who prefer something they cannot find in the old K line. These cymbals are dark, dry and as articulate as kindling. Listen to Stanton Moore and Jeff Hamilton and you will get an earful of Bronze Bliss.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

hm. Sounds like a brand I have to keep my mind on.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

I played a Bospherus ride this last weekend for about 10 minutes, and i didn't look at model type but it was a 22" raw bell and it sounded absolutely gorgeous!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Here is a Bosphorus ride cymbal I picked up a couple weeks ago, just now getting around to posting some pictures. This is a 20" Original Ride. It is on the thin side, very dark, beautiful wash, and very articulate. Excellent sounding ride, for Jazz especially. I highly recommend Bosphorus cymbals for anyone looking for an old school jazz sound.

User Info Menu

never heard of bosphorus, any chance of using these for alternative rock? how expensive are they?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Where do you guys buy these cymbals? Online? I don't know of any store that carries the Bosphorus line. They sound fantastic. I'd love to get a nice ride from them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    never heard of bosphorus, any chance of using these for alternative rock? how expensive are they?
    They have quite a few different lines for all genres, they are mostly known by jazz drummers as they are all hand hammered in the traditional Turkish way like the old vintage Ks they used in the early days. Just about all of their lines are professional grade, they might offer an intermediate line, but they definitely cater to the pro drummer. They aren't cheap, but they tend to be slightly cheaper than the comparable lines from other makers like Zildjian Ks, Paiste Sigs, and Sabian HH etc.

Where do you guys buy these cymbals? Online? I don't know of any store that carries the Bosphorus line. They sound fantastic. I'd love to get a nice ride from them.
    They can be tough to find, GC does not carry them as far as I'm aware. Your best bet would be a specialty drum shop or online. I imagine that the Bosphorus web site has a list of dealers. There are some places online that have sound clips so you're not buying totally blind. I picked my ride up off ebay and I'm very happy with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    I've seen them at Sam Ash on occasion. Also saw them at the Drum Shop in Portland, Maine, so I think you could order from them. The best online place I know of with Bosphorus is www.cymbalsonly.com. Tony at that site is very helpful, and the sound clips are excellent. Bosphorus aren't unreasonably expensive--I suppose they're about the same as Paiste Signatures or HHX, maybe even a little less.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I absolutely love the Bosphorus Antiques. Especially the Antique hats... I would definitely buy them in a flash if I had the money lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I absolutely love the Bosphorus Antiques. Especially the Antique hats... I would definitely buy them in a flash if I had the money lol
    I used to have a 20" antique series ride, had a beautiful sound to it, very controlled sticking, kind of pingy with a little bit of wash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsshortstack22 View Post
    Oh cool, first post.

How do you guys like the Stanton Moore series?
    I've tried out the Wide Ride and Fat Hats from that series. They're like butter. Beautiful.

User Info Menu

i heard some of the antique ones i liked em a lot!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Well, I finally got my hands on a Bosphorus cymbal. I am thoroughly amazed. I've probably owned 100 cymbals in my life and this is definitely one of the best. The only thing I can even compare it to is my 50's 21" Zildjian and a couple of the Constantinople reissues I've had. The wobble and wash of this cymbal is absolutely beautiful. It is everything I'm looking for in a ride. You can crash and wail on this thing and it never gets overpowering.

This particular ride is a 20" Masters. It weighs 1648g so its pretty thin. I picked it up used on ebay for under $200 too.

Look at the hammer marks on this beauty. I absolutely love it!

Last edited by Exotic Matter; 11-30-2009 at 10:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Go to the Bosphorus site, they have sample sound clips of the lines. Also lists online sources. Mike is the owner of Bosphorus USA and is great to deal with. When I got my Masters Vintage 21" ride he had eight cymbals on stands for me to listen to over the phone. My Vintage is unlathed and is beautiful. Great airy response with wonderful wash. I also picked up the 14" Traditional (Crisp) Hi Hats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Exotic Matter;251371]Well, I finally got my hands on a Bosphorus cymbal. I am thoroughly amazed. I've probably owned 100 cymbals in my life and this is definitely one of the best. The only thing I can even compare it to is my 50's 21" Zildjian and a couple of the Constantinople reissues I've had. The wobble and wash of this cymbal is absolutely beautiful. It is everything I'm looking for in a ride. You can crash and wail on this thing and it never gets overpowering.

This particular ride is a 20" Masters. It weighs 1648g so its pretty thin. I picked it up used on ebay for under $200 too.

Look at the hammer marks on this beauty. I absolutely love it!
    QUOTE]

Nice grab EM, I love the heck outta my Bosphorus ride and I'm sure you will too! You scored a great weight on that one too, I bet it is an amazing jazz ride. Like you said, they really can't be compared to much out there on todays market, they are on par with the legendary Turkish Ks. I'm looking for a 17" crash at the moment, just waiting for a nice deal to come around. Congrats on your new purchase !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STACK57 View Post
    Go to the Bosphorus site, they have sample sound clips of the lines. Also lists online sources. Mike is the owner of Bosphorus USA and is great to deal with. When I got my Masters Vintage 21" ride he had eight cymbals on stands for me to listen to over the phone. My Vintage is unlathed and is beautiful. Great airy response with wonderful wash. I also picked up the 14" Traditional (Crisp) Hi Hats.

Stack, that Vintage ride is spectacular! How is the ping on it? I'm looking at eventually adding a heavier Turk ride to get a bit more ping for songs that require it, seems like the unlathed would be the way to go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post

Nice grab EM, I love the heck outta my Bosphorus ride and I'm sure you will too! You scored a great weight on that one too, I bet it is an amazing jazz ride. Like you said, they really can't be compared to much out there on todays market, they are on par with the legendary Turkish Ks. I'm looking for a 17" crash at the moment, just waiting for a nice deal to come around. Congrats on your new purchase !
    Thanks. I'm looking forward for many years to come with this one!

Nice. This is actually the exact ride I was looking for before I bought the 20" Masters above. I bet it's super dry. Nice cymbal!

User Info Menu

Gretschhead, the ping with this ride is great even with the the cymbal only weighing 1360g, very thin. I am just amazed at the stick response, great for smooth jazz, yet very explosive when needed. I agree that the unlathed finish adds to that ability. I highly recommend to anyone.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".

Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Gretschhead, the ping with this ride is great even with the the cymbal only weighing 1360g, very thin. I am just amazed at the stick response, great for smooth jazz, yet very explosive when needed. I agree that the unlathed finish adds to that ability. I highly recommend to anyone.
    Cool thats what I needed to know, thanks. Wow a 1360g 21" is crazy light, I think my ride is around 2100g and it seems pretty thin to me maybe med/thin. Bet it swings like no other!

User Info Menu

YAY Bosphorus! I have all zildigians except for one 21" Bosphorus New Orleans ride that is absolutely beautiful and sounds amazing. Pics next time I remember.

User Info Menu

Just picked up a Stanton Moore 18" Smash Crash. Great compliment to my Master Vintage Ride. Love these cymbals, just have to save for adding one at a time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    STACK57

Gilbraltar Hardware