Thread: honor band

User Info Menu

Default honor band

Hey I am auditioning for State Honor Band. Ive already made County and All Northern, but state is gonna be a tough competition. I am really nervous!! We have to record a tape and do a live audition. When I tried out for country and northern, i got so nervous that I almost made myself sick. any advice to help me calm down?
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Ya do what i do....just throw up and get it over with...you will feel better afterwards....lol

User Info Menu

Cool honor band

I see we both had the same idea, lezzle...

I would be more concerned it you weren't at least a little nervous. The trick is not to let your nerves get the better of you. If you're a little pumped about what you're doing, that's cool...

What works for me (as you saw in the shoutout earlier) is just plunging in and doing it...while there is no substitute for practice and discipline, if you are ready to jump right in and play the parts or solos your doing, you'll do better than sitting there brooding about it...

Sometimes, doing something totally bizarre to get your mind off your nerves helps. The first time I ever played bongos and congas with a combo led by a buddy of mine who leads a big band, I was tighter than a bongo head before I started, worried about making a mistake. The girl singer for the band was leading some of those in attendance in the "chicken dance" (or "duck dance" as I know it--the one where you flap your wings, shake your rear end and look absolutely goofy doing it).

I figured, "what the heck? Do it! It may be goofy but you'll be laughing as much as they will!" I did and it loosened me up just fine; I got some compliments on my playing, and learned to relax while I'm playing.

Now you might not be able to do that in the recording studio, but I'm sure you'll find a way to get your mind off the nerves and "break the ice."

Go for it, lezzle!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

whiskey & ludes. you might not be able to play... but you will be calm

User Info Menu

First, congratulations on making county and All Northern. As to nerves, I'm not sure what to say other than we're pulling for ya. Knock 'em dead!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the honor of being able to audition. That is an honor itself. Good luck with your audition. I hope it goes well for you. I know I use to get so nervouse that I couldnt remember any of my parts. We always played by memory. Then as soon as I would start everything would come back to me. Over time I just started getting use to performing in front of judges and audiences. And the nerves werent so heavy. I agree with what Bongbro said. Just try to keep your mind off of your performace. If you know your material and are prepared once you start everything will be fine.

User Info Menu

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're all proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be sure to let us know how it goes.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    whiskey & ludes. you might not be able to play... but you will be calm
    Yea, that's what I say. Be sure to turn to drugs and alcohol for all your problems. Their good for you and lead to a life of happiness and inner peace.

NOT!

User Info Menu

thanks a lot guys! im just gonna go for it.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =