Thread: Eight months in the closet, time to dust of the skins!

User Info Menu

Default Eight months in the closet, time to dust of the skins!

Ok Thank you pastor Bob for the help in posting.I am not a drummer by trade, Bought a set for my boy about five yrs ago and it has been in the closet for eight months. I set it up in about 40 mins and didn't even play until the cam was rolling. I know it's rough but hope to improve the skills!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy_xRm34GFA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy_xRm34GFA[/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Eight months in the closet, time to dust of the skins!

Don't ever sweat what someone else might think about your current skill level FT. First of all, we all been there, because it is a very rare drummer that starts out with superior skills, so we are very supportive of each other's efforts. Personally, I think you gave a very good accounting of yourself on that video. WTG!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yea, I've definitely seen worse. I'm not sure what your past experience is, but it seems to me you have a feel for music and some definite potential.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I have been on alot of forums(not drum related,but musical)and have not found the kindness of this forum. I had never even heard of RUDS.before I came to this site, Now I practice them daliy. And have already noticed improvment. Hope to keep them comin and have even concidered getting lessons!
    F/T

User Info Menu

I bet it feels good to break them back out!! Keep them coming bro!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I guess I was looking for some constructive criti., I have never had direction just throwing limbs. That was what I meant by be kind, Tear on it but don't beat me up to bad! LOL!

Larrysperf Guest

hey all is good and keep it up. As PB said we all enjoy watching each ones videos and threads on different equipment so welcome and enjoy

User Info Menu

Thank again, I'll tell ya the more I play and return to the video the more I realize no structure involved or time LOL. But I love watching the vids here and posting my own is inspiring. Keep on rock'n me baby!

User Info Menu

FT, the only real criticism is that working with a metronome would be helpful to you. It is easy to rush fills, so the most important thing is to develop the rock solid timing that a metronome can provide. The fills are great, but unless a drummer has solid timing, the rest of the band will suffer. Oh, and here's a hug, so the criticism isn't too harsh!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I would look at your kit configuration. Having all the toms over to one side is making you have to reach for every fill. Look at how others are setting up and try getting at least one tom in front.

As for your playing, it takes time, you have a great start. If you are serious about drumming I would look into lessons, there is nothing like a professional teacher to help you progress.

Be sure to be engaged here, there are some really great folks on this forum.

And most importantly, HAVE FUN!
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

PB I have started to use a metronome, and I have always changed from one beat to another because of lack of time and structure. I am only a few weeks in to acctually putting an effort into learning anything drum skill related thanks for the hug LoL.

rmandelbaum: Thanks for the opinion, I know the set looks weird but this is the setup that fits me as a person best. I have had this set up in at least five different ways and played it like that for a while, when I dont have everything set up I remove most everything on my right and the setup on my left doesn't change. I have looked into lessons and will be starting soon, Havin a blast guys thanks again!

User Info Menu

Fumbled, I am going to agree with Mandlebaum. While this setup may suit you now, when you get to playing different fills and accents, I think you will find that your left hand will have trouble reaching over there at times. Especially when you just want to throw in a little accent in the middle of a measure using your left hand, without interrupting the flow and timing of the rest of the measure.
    If anything, you can keep the floor toms over there, and add a tom to the bass or a cymbal stand. Nothing wrong with having a couple of extra toms, right?
    Good luck.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

My only critique would be the tom placement. Your tom placement is bizarre and very uncomfortable looking(at least to me), but if you are going for the most original kit, I think you win hands down lol.

I do however think you placing wasn't bad at all, specially for the gap in playing, keep it up man, and it that tom set-up fits you and is comfortable for you, then forget what I said.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

i say samething on the other post

try to put small tom at the left 8 inch after 10 12 14 16

you go to tom to tom

you have to make like a circle

it will help you i think

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Hey there, FT...nice to meet you. As I viewed the video, I kept thinking about the size of the room where the drums are. With the bass drum right up against the wall, you do not have room for proper placement of the toms. This may explain your current set up. Your level of comfort is due to having had to adapt to this configuration which seems right to you. As you progress, you'll discover the freedom of motion you will have once you learn to re-orient the drums and cymbals.
    You have some definite thougthts about what to play on your kit. A good Teacher will open up your mind to possibilities you haven't yet dreamed of. Good luck to you and I hope to see you in the Forum.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I am getting pretty tickled about the tom placement issue. I understand your views and respect them but as I said I have (honestly) tried arrangement after arrangement. I like the circles of three I get with this combo(example): 8-10-12-10-8 or 10-8-12-8-10 or12-8-10-8-12 or 12-13-16-13-12 or13-16-12-16-13 I'll stop now. Anyway It is clear to me the point you all are making, I have chosen as an indavidual to keep this method. As someone who usually takes the narrow gate for me the challenge alone is greater than weird look/location. let me add that I had no sense of direction when I started the cam, Just throwing limbs. Lets call it the before picture and now on to the after LOL.

OVERZEALOUS DRUMMERS CLUB MEMBER #1 F/T
    Last edited by fumbled time; 05-11-2009 at 10:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice Job FT.. As was already mentioned..We all start somewhere and from what this video shows..you are off to a great one!

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Nice Job FT.. As was already mentioned..We all start somewhere and from what this video shows..you are off to a great one!

-Les
    Thanks lesizmor, I'll tell ya thought the more I watch the more I can see the lack of skill. But In a short time I will be better(starting lessons soon)
    The next video should have some direction LoL

User Info Menu

Dude it sounded good to me. I was going to say something about your tom placement too but you've taken enough heat for that. If it works, stick with it. Sounding good.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League