Thread: I need some opinions here

User Info Menu

Default I need some opinions here

Okay,

So this summer I'm going to be getting a job. I'll be making $600-1000 over the course of summer vaction.

Right now I have a Tama swingstar, it's old and pretty much falling apart (If you ask me) The toms don't tune well, the bass sounds alright, But the wrap is coming off and warping.

Good new's is I have a good snare drum

But here's my problem, I play out in the garage (Please no lecture) And it get's cold out there during the winter and hot during the summer. My dad say's it will ruin the drums. Will it really?

I wanna make the next big step... you know?

Opinions please

User Info Menu

Default Re: I need some opinions here

Tama Superstars, insulate your garage.

Sell me the Swingstars.

User Info Menu

The heat and cold extemes can wreak havoc on wood drums!

If you can..get your drums outta the garage!

-Les

User Info Menu

Not worth buying new stuff to leave them where it's not climate controlled.

The good news if you can get them inside, there are some sick deals out there and I'm sure they'll be around for a while. The Cats, great deals on discontinued Mapex, Tama has some new Superstar New School Rock shell kit for cheap, the new Pearls, and I'm sure there are more.

If you can make the move, it's a great time.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

ThePloughman Guest

Bring them inside. sleep outside.

Buy something higher end USED.

User Info Menu

My opinion is the same as the others.

1. Dont buy a new set if youre gonna put them back in the garage the way it is .

2. Either insulate your garage and add some air and heat , or bring the drum set inside.

3. My favorite opinion yet............send me your drumset and buy a harmonica........that will fit in your sock drawer and you wont need the garage any more.

User Info Menu

Good advice, Fishin. I'd like to add that PDP now makes the X7 kit in maple. Bang for the buck folks!
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Yeah, that is probably the reason why your wrap is warping actually. I agree don't put your drums through the temperature extremes if possible. I'm actually facing the same problem with touring, i'm trying to figure out a way to build a road case that can hold the temperature, mostly for the winter because i'm from MN ha ha
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Where I'm from it is hot all year around, with the exception of about 1 month at the most. I kept kits in the garage for years and had no problems except for retuning the heads every now and again. The inside walls were covered with a bunch of old thick carpet. I'm sure that helped.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Fred,

If space is an issue and you can not bring the kit inside. You might want to check for a space heater. Keep in mind you msut keep the heater clear fo any thing else. Hope you are able to get a new kit and keep it well, you play great so let us know what you end up doing.

User Info Menu

maybe you should buy a used set and rent a small place whith the band

do you have a band ????

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Fredr, I agree that something needs to be done with the garage, or you need somewhere else for your drums. Unless you can make sure the temperature extremes won't damage another set, you won't want to make a big investment in higher quality drums.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend D. View Post
    Where I'm from it is hot all year around, with the exception of about 1 month at the most. I kept kits in the garage for years and had no problems except for retuning the heads every now and again. The inside walls were covered with a bunch of old thick carpet. I'm sure that helped.
    From what I understand cold is much worse than heat. So leaving drums, or a guitar for that matter, out in the real winter cold is very bad. Having the drums go from hot to cold and back, etc..., over and over again I believe is even worse. The expansion and contraction of the wood can warp the drum and put stress on joints. Remember it's not one solid piece of wood.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

hey Fred, I had the same problem as yourself in the garage that and the fact my elderly neighbour had no idea why it sounded like drums where ending the world in my old garage.

Our solution was... the bass player in our band has nerves of steal so we drove round Edinburgh hunting for space to practice and if we saw any he would hop out the car and ask if we could use it.
    Two possibilities came up for us. One is to use a disused barn on farm, this didn't suffer the same temperature changes as the garage (but its always cold in Scotland!) or the MOD offered us an old funky little stone building on one of their barracks to use.

Both were free of charge thats why i mention it! Have a look round you never know what you can find if you have the nerves to ask!

Good Luck Man

*Sorry Weekid, but in the interest of family friendliness, I had to do a minor edit - PB*
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...tions-480.html
    Last edited by Weekid; 05-12-2009 at 04:54 AM.
    Cheers

Weekid

Drums - Mapex Saturn Fusion(Gingerbeer)(Remo Heads)
    10"x8" Tom
    12"x9" Tom
    14"x 11" Floor Tom
    22"x18" Bass Drum
    14"x6" Yamaha Custom Snare

Sabian XS Cymbals

User Info Menu

I have often thought that maybe a trick aluminum kit would be the way to go if you had no choice but to leave the kit in the garage.

I cant imagine the temperature harming them and they are pro level for sure.

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

have you thought about putting an electric kit in your room/house?

Going with trick is a great thought but they are quite expensive.

User Info Menu

i dont think dat da temp will ruin dem.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Fred where do you usually rehearse for your band?

You can do what I'm doing: Stow away the kit and settle with a practice pad during week-days then only set the kit up during rehearsal days on weekends.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

he says he uses his garage.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    i dont think dat da temp will ruin dem.

The changes in the temperature WILL cause the wood to warp. PLEASE don't put a new set in the garage. If you have to, get a space heater, so you can sleep in the garage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Fred where do you usually rehearse for your band?

You can do what I'm doing: Stow away the kit and settle with a practice pad during week-days then only set the kit up during rehearsal days on weekends.
    i have the same opinion ^
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Become proficent in the ways of the kazoo. It's an underutilized instrument, so get a wah pedal and put the kazoo through it. It takes up much less space.

Like usual I don't have much first hand knowledge of the topic at hand, but, as usual, I'll throw out an opinion that may or may not be factual. If you're going to keep it in the garage, I'd say get an electric set, otherwise your next set's going to fall apart as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keysanddrums View Post
    Become proficent in the ways of the kazoo. It's an underutilized instrument, so get a wah pedal and put the kazoo through it. It takes up much less space.

Like usual I don't have much first hand knowledge of the topic at hand, but, as usual, I'll throw out an opinion that may or may not be factual. If you're going to keep it in the garage, I'd say get an electric set, otherwise your next set's going to fall apart as well.

YES!!!

KAZOOS RULE!!

But they scare little kids...

SEE!

I forgot about this thread, over the summer Im just gonna fix my kit up and such.