Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Rack

User Info Menu

Default Drum Rack

I've been looking around at many different drum racks and I would like to have one, especially since I am about have at least 3 rack toms. I know the downs and ups to square and circular tubes; I think I would want circular because they are more adjustable and the newer clamps are more stable (from what I have heard). The only thing is racks are really expensive, and I am on a tight budget. So the whole budget factor brings up a new idea, homemade.

I should probably let you all know I am very creative and good at making stuff. I have a lot of experience with wood and a little bit with metal. The best thing is I have a really good friend who has all the metal working equipment I could possibly need to make a rack, and he would definatley help me. All I need is to know what kind of clamps I should get.

I have a pearl forum series, I use ISS tom mounts, and I will buy another long pearl tom arm for the other tom I am getting.

1.What kind of clamps will allow me to mount pearl tom arms to a curved Gibraltar tube?
    2.Is it ok to use a SP straight stand as a leg on one side?
    3.Is this ok to attach the legs to the curved Gibraltar tube?

left-Gibraltar SC-GRSRA Clamp

right-Gibraltar Road Series Multiclamp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Owens; 05-11-2009 at 05:45 AM.

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Drum Rack

any of the Gilgraltor,dixon,DW, PDP will work they all have very good web sites with parts listed so you can decide what way you want to go. I love my rack. It makes tear down and set up so easy. Just remember memory locks and mark them with tape it helps when you are in a hurry,or someone is helping you set up

User Info Menu

Owens, make sure you check for used racks before you build. I got a PDP two sided rack that was less than 6 month old, and in great condition, for $250. Make sure you add up the cost of materials and parts before you build, just to make sure building is a better deal.

Having said that I have been very happy with my rack. I can vouch for the PDP clamps, and the memory locks also serve to help make the set up rock solid stable.

Good luck making a rack a reality Owen!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I got a brand new Gibraltar curved for $200. There was a used one on cl here in LA for 50. It didn't have the side rails but did have 3 or 4 clamps. Shop around and there are some st..I mean deals out there!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

Larrysperf Guest

Heres my rack
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Where are the best places to find used racks?

User Info Menu

I don't have any personal experiences with drum racks, but I do want one.

I have a cheap Apollo kit I got at a steal. I'm wondering, would this kit even be supported by a drum rack? Using Craiglist I found a Gibraltar rack for $230. The description is-

"it has a 44" curved bar,44" straight bar,2 30" straight bars,a 32" straight bar,2 36" straight bars,and 1 24" curved bar.it also has 10 multi clamps,with 2 tom moutns,and 5 cymbal mounts.and it also has two small legs,and two bigger legs."

That's without me correcting his atrocious grammar lol. Would it be a good deal? What else should I look for? Thanks for helping, and sorry for the mini thread-jack.

User Info Menu

NWDrum, I'd want to know the condition, and pics of it would certainly help. I would never buy anything without seeing a picture of it first, and it has to be a good pic, not the kind that is out of focus. When I see those, I wonder what is being hidden.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

There's the picture they offer. Not very large, and there are much more.

I guess the principle question is, will my Apollo mounted toms be compatible?

User Info Menu

Will two Sound percussion cymbal stands (one boom, one straight) support a Gibraltar 46" curved rack tube.

If not, what If I used a cymbal stand on one side and a "Gibraltar Standard Fixed T-leg" on the other?

By the way...
    Larry, is that tube going into the tom mount of the bass drum attached to the rack. If so, does that make it more stable?
    Last edited by Owens; 05-12-2009 at 05:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NWDrum View Post

There's the picture they offer. Not very large, and there are much more.

I guess the principle question is, will my Apollo mounted toms be compatible?
    NWDrum, I looked up the Apollo drums on the web, and found a set on ebay. If the kit I saw is anything like your's it would appear that the mount is not compatible with the L-rod that would support the toms on the rack. This is a guess, of course, but unless and L-rod is used to support your toms, they will not work on the rack. You could mount all you cymbals on the rack, though, and you might be able to get a rim mount that could work with the L-rod.

I hope that's helpful.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    Will two Sound percussion cymbal stands (one boom, one straight) support a Gibraltar 46" curved rack tube.

If not, what If I used a cymbal stand on one side and a "Gibraltar Standard Fixed T-leg" on the other?

By the way...
    Larry, is that tube going into the tom mount of the bass drum attached to the rack. If so, does that make it more stable?
    No it doesnot it is just a cymbal stand but I could. Yes you can use 2 cymbal stands. Gibraltar has a lot of different racks combinations on there site. Just click on catalog. They even have a cymbal stand rack combo. Hope this helps and if you have anymore ? just ask and I will try to help

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    No it doesnot it is just a cymbal stand but I could. Yes you can use 2 cymbal stands. Gibraltar has a lot of different racks combinations on there site. Just click on catalog. They even have a cymbal stand rack combo. Hope this helps and if you have anymore ? just ask and I will try to help

I have a straight stand, so I'm thinking about getting a Gibraltar T-Leg Assembly and A 36" straight tube to use as the other leg. That will cost me around $40 for that and Im sure it would be more stable, wouldn't it? Can you even mount a Gibraltar tube to a SP Straight Stand? I'm thinking I might as well "make" two of those. I would run a 46" Gibraltar Curved Extension Tube
    ($30) between the two legs, connected by a Gibraltar SC-GRSRA Clamp
    ($25.19 each) on each leg.

That puts me at:
    -About $120 If I mount it to my straight stand and one leg
    -About $160 If I get two of the legs

On top of each leg, I would attach a Gibraltar Tube Attachment Mount ( $16.99 each) so I could put a Gibraltar Boom Arm ($19.99 each) in them.

That puts me at:
    -About $200 If I mount it to my straight stand and one leg
    -About $240 If I get two of the legs

And that is without any multiclamps!

I could get the Gibraltar Rack Starter Pack with Curved Wings for $299.99.

So is there a really cheap way to get a specific rack for cheap?

User Info Menu

By the way, couldn't I just use 1-1/2" conduit pipe instead of buying the tubes from Gibraltar. Could I use a pipe bender to bend the conduit pipe instead of buying a curved Gibraltar tube?

What Are the cheapest rack clamps out there, and is there a way you can order them in bulk for cheaper? Can you use clamps that are not made for drum racks, and will the be able to take the pounding without shifting or slipping? If so, what kind?

User Info Menu

aloy conduit .......that stuff ant cheep and also, you want it chromed so it looks cools...

MO get a the Gibraltar starter pack..........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    i found a gibraltar curves rack with wings, lots of clamps and a few extras for $175 on craigslist.com

you can find pretty much anything you want on there, just be patient. It took about 3 months of waiting before someone posted this one and I jumped all over it! Best investment I've made in a long time...
    i found a pearl icon 3 sided for 200 used, but it didnt have a picture. it was on GC's website in their used gear section. cant really find em that cheap anywhere else
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

It's too bad you're not in Chicago. I'm still trying to find a buyer for my Pearl icon rack with a whole bunch of attachments for like 175. It's strictly my opinion but I just get nervous with the tube racks. Feel like over time they would start losing grip. Probably just paranoia though.
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

well back to the clamps, the multiclaps would work best we have those on the electric set i play at my church and they can open up pretty wide and capable of holding anything.
    im using it told hold a speaker.
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I have it pretty much figured out now. I'm going to start with this stuff, all 1-1/2" conduit pipe:
    SUPPORT:
    36" for the MAIN legs (vetical x2).
    14" for the MAIN feet (horizontal x2). Has 36" MAIN leg "t-clamped" on top.
    30" for the SIDE leg (vetical).
    8" for the SIDE foot (horizontal).

RACK BARS:
    46" Front bar. Clamps to the MAIN legs (runs between them).
    44"-Clamped to left MAIN leg, runs past Hi-hat, clamped to SIDE leg
    24" for the wing. Clamped to right MAIN leg (runs beside the floor tom).

I'm still in search for the cheapest (but reliable) clamps to for mounting all these tubes together. I should probably go to some hardware stores and see what they got. Since what they have in these stores wouldn't be made for this purpose I will carefully examine them and if they are cheap buy a few and put them to the test. I wouldn't want over a thousand $ to go down the drain due to a unreliable clamp(s).

Heck, if I can make my rack really sturdy for cheap, I might just make some custom ones to sell. I can see it now, "Owens Custom Rack"...

Yeah right haha

User Info Menu

anyone?

Larrysperf Guest

Dixon makes some not so expensive clamps

User Info Menu

i want an icon with everything for 50
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I know I need to get 1-1/2" pipe.

Should I go with conduit though? anybody know where I could get pipe that is exactly 1-1/2"?

User Info Menu

Sorry for the double.

Anyways, I should have already made my rack by now but I haven't got around to it. Let me know what you think.
    Here Is what I'm planning now:
    Note:
    -All Pipes are 1-1/2" steel
    -Gibraltar or Stagg Clamps
    From Local Hardware Store:
    1.Horizontal (Mounting Area)-40" Pipe(x2)
    2.Vertical (Legs)-36" Pipe(x3)
    3.Horizontal (Legs)-6" Front Pipe, 8" Rear Pipe (Both x3)
    4.#2&3 Connection-3-way pipe tee (x3)
    Made For Drum Racks:
    #1&2 (Outer)Connection-Multi-Clamp(x2)
    #1&2 (Middle)Connection-Stackable Right Angle Clamp(x2)
    Tom Mounting-Multi-Clamp(x3)
    Cymbal Mounting-Multi-Clamp, Boom Arm (Both x2)

User Info Menu

how big's your drum kit again?