Thread: Me attempting a cover

User Info Menu

Default Me attempting a cover

Here's my attempt at a cover of a song by a band called Hasting. Aside from some timing issues and dropping a stick at the end I think it turned out well for only attempting the song about 2 hours before I recorded it. I really need to work on that one handed 16th note beat especially when it goes into the 2nd verse, it adds a quick double stroke on the kick. And my ride pattern on the bridge. Well here it goes, feedback please.
    Last edited by topdog63; 05-12-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Me attempting a cover

You know what I liked it but did have a hard time following you and the song. I watched it again but looked at you and not so much the song and thought you did a very good job. I think you should lower your crach cymbals a bit but just me. Keep them coming

User Info Menu

Awsome, any just drummin stuff! would love to here some guys here goin gonzo on the kit.

User Info Menu

Thanks larry. I was thinking that too. But when I sit at the kit they are actually about eye level. The camera is a little lower so they look hi

I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Good job, TD. At least you waited until the end to drop that stick.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Thanks Lager. LOL yeah for some reason I have a hard time holding on to my stick in my right hand.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Good Stuff

User Info Menu

thanks taz

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

good job TD. For the 16th hh pattern, try to use more finger and less forearm in your stick technique. It's easier to control and helps you with greater endurance.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Thanks cd. I was practicing it a little last night and was doing that. I can play one handed 16th on the hi hat all day but it was kind of a tricky kick pattern in the 2nd verse and it made me tense up cause I was anticipating that.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Great job man! And don't sweat dropping the stick, it didn't really affect the performance at all.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

thanks matthew

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

good job brother

show us some more please

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. It's really funny cause 2 months ago I wouldn't even have attempted it but I think it turned out well. I've kinda gotten into a great time in my drumming "career" where things just kinda seem to come a little easier. There are things however that still don't come so easy. I seem to be getting a little more independance which is really opening up alot of things for me. Now I just gotta practice some rudiments.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Hey TD...not a bad job at all and donj't worry about the stick (I tend to drop mine in the middle of a song). About the RH 16th note pattern you described... Your arm is much to stiff and it impedes your wrist action. Lift you wrist upward and play with the tip of the stick in the center portion of the hi-hat cymbal. You play the 1+2+3+4+ count like that and draw the hand back as you play the "e's and a's." To visualize this, think of your arm doing a sawing motion as the wrist does a lilting up/down motion. It's actually a very natural motion and part of the Moeller technique. Once you get the hang of it you can play similar patterns with less strain and effort.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Me attempting a cover

Frank's My Hero (And My Personal Drum Teacher) !!!!
    I Learn So Much From His Advice To Others I'm Thinkin Of Sendin Him A Check!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

Larrysperf Guest

Yea Franks a keeper and a gentleman

User Info Menu

I accept Direct Deposit, Phroggee....
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Ha Ha... Pay Pal perhaps...

Thanks frank. I'm gonna have to work on that so as not to kill myself when playing that pattern. I know I've seen what your talking about, I just never was shown or told how.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Sounding good TD!! Thanks for posting that!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing that TD.......not bad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Hey TD...not a bad job at all and donj't worry about the stick (I tend to drop mine in the middle of a song). About the RH 16th note pattern you described... Your arm is much to stiff and it impedes your wrist action. Lift you wrist upward and play with the tip of the stick in the center portion of the hi-hat cymbal. You play the 1+2+3+4+ count like that and draw the hand back as you play the "e's and a's." To visualize this, think of your arm doing a sawing motion as the wrist does a lilting up/down motion. It's actually a very natural motion and part of the Moeller technique. Once you get the hang of it you can play similar patterns with less strain and effort.
    Absolutely Frank!

Concentrate on relaxing and letting your wrists and fingers work. Tensing up as alot of guys do when they are playing faster ride patterns actually wastes energy. Letting your arms and shoulders relax and just flow will come with time and practice. The Moeller method works. Google it.

Good work man. Your timing is good and I can see the passion you have for the instrument! Keep it up TD!!

-Les

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I got JoJo Mayer's Secret weapons for the modern drummer and I'm working on some of this stuff for stick control. There's alot of info on that and I'm only on the 1st dvd.

Zildjian League