Thread: two bass drums?

User Info Menu

Default two bass drums?

hi i need help very badly!!! i have two 22' tama swingstar bass drums and i just got remo prwoestroke 3 heads on them. i need help tunning them cuse i cant get them the same sound i tried everything and i dont know what to do so can you help me also, if you put a pilliow in one and a softer pilliow in the other will that effect the sound?

User Info Menu

you just gotta tune them until you get them how u like i guess, i muffle my bass drum a bit with a special evans pillow -- its not as hard to tune if the drum is muffled

a technique for tuning i use:

i loosen all lugs completely and tighten them all as far as possible with my hand, then tighten with the tool about 1 turn each--- not 100% reliable but it works for me

User Info Menu

You probably won't be able to get the 2 bass drums exactly the same ... as long as they both some punchy, that'll do fine. Don't stress too much about getting the sound exact, a slight variation is actually easier on the ear I reckon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DkAps25
    a technique for tuning i use:

i loosen all lugs completely and tighten them all as far as possible with my hand, then tighten with the tool about 1 turn each--- not 100% reliable but it works for me
    This is what i do. Except after ia couple full turns, the head is about the pitch that i want it, so i start doing 1/2 and then 1/4 turns. this gives a nice tone. but, i recently bought evans torque tuner and thats what i use to tune my toms (i tune my snares by hand)

the evans torque tuner was 20 bucks and it is well worth it. it cuts tuning time in half. usually, after getting all the toms done, i go over the kit again by hand and do really fine tuning (like 1/8 turns and stuff) to get a really good all around sound.
    music = life

User Info Menu

hey sup man yea i got a dvd by steve gatzen, and he really goes into detail about tuning, helped me out a lot anyway, i think thats how you spell his name ill check later to make sure------