Thread: Paradiddle

User Info Menu

Default Paradiddle

Sup guys my drum teacher has been telling me that if i master the paradiddle and double sticking then it will really pay off in l8er drumming. is this true or is he just trying to encourage me ???
    The Guy On A Mission

User Info Menu

I'd say thats true, those are the basics of alot of other rudiments too and u can do alot of different things around the kit with both of those.

User Info Menu

You should check this thread: Clickie!

User Info Menu

If drumming is a language, then rudiments (such as paradiddles) are your vocabulary - they add delicate nuance and added depth of meaning to what you 'say' with your drumming.

The more comfortable you get with them, the less they'll seem like pointless mathematical exercises, and more like soulful expressions.

Not a gig or practice session doesn't go by that I don't unconsciously use a lot of different rudiments.

User Info Menu

I use paradiddles and double sticking all the time. Very useful IMO

Keith

User Info Menu

They may seem to be a dull technique to practice, and it sometimes feels like its being beat to death, but doubles and paradiddles are key components to nearly all percussion rhythms. If you can play your rudiments with exception stability and speed your over all sound will in turn sound equally exceptional.
    ~John K.~

User Info Menu

You can make paradiddles more fun to play if you also practice them inverted. (ie: LRRL RLLR or LRLR RLRL, etc.)

User Info Menu

Or if you have a drumset try working your paradiddles around your toms, snare, and cymbals.
    ~John K.~

User Info Menu

Also on a kit, try playing them with a combination of hands and feet. That's when you realize just how important and useful they are.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Cool Paradiddles

Hey, slice and dice -- not much more I can add to what our buddies have already posted, but paradiddles and double-sticking give you an alternative to single-sticking...and as your teacher has already said, it'll expand the range of what you can do with your drums.

Just think of working them in as Jobby suggests...and once you've got 'em down, who knows where you can go from there?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Definately pay off. I've been drumming for 6 years now, and have only recently started to dedicate more portions of my time to rudiments.

Rudiments improve your sticking speed, accuracy and control faster than any other method.

So practice rudiments!

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

head Guest

it will pay of because it is basic