Thread: Gretsch Catalina Maple vs Ludwig Centennial

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Catalina Maple vs Ludwig Centennial

So im looking into buying a new kit and i have narrowed it down between these two. i just want a four pc. which is why i am leaning towards the ludwig which also does not have tom mounts in the kick which I like. virtually i like everything about the ludwig more than the gretsch except the price for quantity ratio....I feel like there is a reason why for about $1000 you get a 4 pc ludwig and the 6 peice gretsch is only $750. Why more toms for less money? Is the wood not american maple like the centennials? Or what? I can't come up with why. If anybody has any ideas or answers they want to throw my direction I would really appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Maple vs Ludwig Centennial

Welcome to Drum Chat Scott!

First of all, the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit is an outstanding kit, and I don't say it just because it's the kit I play. The Centennial kit does have American maple shells, while the Catalina uses the Asian maple, but to me, the versitility of the six piece set up of the Catalina is also important, and I find the Catalina Maple kit to project well, and give a nice wrm tone. Having said that, you can buy additional add on toms for the Centennial, but that also adds to the overall cost, while I'm still waiting to see an add-on 8" tom become available for the Catalina Maple kits.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Scott!

First of all, the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit is an outstanding kit, and I don't say it just because it's the kit I play. The Centennial kit does have American maple shells, while the Catalina uses the Asian maple, but to me, the versitility of the six piece set up of the Catalina is also important, and I find the Catalina Maple kit to project well, and give a nice wrm tone. Having said that, you can buy additional add on toms for the Centennial, but that also adds to the overall cost, while I'm still waiting to see an add-on 8" tom become available for the Catalina Maple kits.
    Whoa whoa whoa hold everything! Somebody told me that the Centennials were made of Asian maple. Is this not true?? Man, this is going to completely shake up my search for which kit to buy.

Well, as for the question, the reason the Centennial is more expensive is because it's a better quality kit. Don't get me wrong though, the Catalinas are great for the price. Also, you can always get the 6 piece Catalina and have the other toms in case you need them someday. Another thing to consider is the Centennial has only like 3 finish options.
    Matt

User Info Menu

dont forget the centennials have those crazy 20 inch deep bass drums. have fun getting those through doorways
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments