Thread: Advice on searching for a drummer!

User Info Menu

Default Advice on searching for a drummer!

Hi there.

Im in a thrash metal band and we've been searching for a drummer for a 10 months and we're not having much success Im afraid to say. I wanted to get some advice from you guys about what drummers look for when searching for a band to join.

We usually just direct them to our website (www.nyx-uk.com) say that we're a good band with lots of material and lots of promoter contacts so its no problem to get gigs. What more are you guys after?!?! We don't seem to get any reply so Im just wondering if there's something we're doing wrong.

The type of drummer we're looking for is someone into metal and is not a session drummer looking for paid work.

Cheers for any help.

User Info Menu

By the sound of this post, "money" seems tentative. Perhaps lay it out more clear by posting the gigs and exactly what they pay. We're all artists of course, but ultimately we all need to eat, which = "pay".

Other ideas: Craigslist, local traders post ads, ...scanning your local bars and checking out what drummers are good in your local area. Tell them what you're doing and they may change bands if they like your direction.

User Info Menu

set up auditions.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

also remember most people really like certain styles of music and since u want to play a specific and your not willin to budge then ppl might not be interested. thats the problem im havin with my band..we are not really clickin together as im into a diffrent style and i refuse to play emo but they are good friends so im just playing how i want and they dont really care for it... hopefully they will kik me out soon..
    Last edited by stickytape706; 01-15-2007 at 03:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey NyxMetal, welcome to the site!

I think you would have the most luck checking with your local music stores. They know who the drummers in your area are and what type of music they play (at least the good stores will...). Also, put up flyers at or near the venues that you have or want to play at. Musicians that play that kind of music, usually listen to that kind of music.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    Hey NyxMetal, welcome to the site!

I think you would have the most luck checking with your local music stores. They know who the drummers in your area are and what type of music they play (at least the good stores will...). Also, put up flyers at or near the venues that you have or want to play at. Musicians that play that kind of music, usually listen to that kind of music.
    Yeah i agree. My music storehas this huge wall at the entrance where people post flyers and announcements. It really gets a lot of attention.
    Percussion is the pulse. With out a pulse, ya dead.
    GIRL DRUMMERS ROCK!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Advice on searchng for a drummer!

Hey, NyxMetal, welcome aboard!

The word here is "networking." I don't pretend to know the market for thrash metal, but the trick here is to beat the bushes in your immediate area ... websites by their very nature attract people from literally all over the world and you may have a killer drummer in, say, Los Angeles, but for one reason or another, the dude can't come to where you are (or vice versa)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    ..."networking"...
    ...that word sounds vaguely famililar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    ...that word sounds vaguely famililar?
    Yeah I think you posted something about that didnt you?...lol

User Info Menu

im a heavey metal drummer!!!! and thrash

User Info Menu

What a drummer looks for in a band...
    A good bass player is essential, a singer that isn't stuck up and wants all the attention, a few drum solo's here and there, and a band that wont blame there tempo problems on the drummer because the drummer is always right.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

mmhmm

that has got to be the best explanation of a band that i have ever heard
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

It might just be the music style you are playing, it is hard and sorry but boring playing this fast of music all the time, maybe where you are located there are just not enough drummers playing this genre of music.

But all good drummers, look for a solid bass player, a guitarist that does not think he is god, and music that has a good solid groove, so it is fun for us to play along to, not just how flipping fast can I play, that is just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Pdplayer; 02-14-2007 at 07:10 PM.