Thread: really need advice - placement of tom 1 and hitting with left hand

User Info Menu

Default really need advice - placement of tom 1 and hitting with left hand

ok... i'm a righty and have only been "semi-playing" for ~ 6 months (prior to that i had a silly drum machine - Yam. dd55)...

I now have a simmons sd7k e-kit....

i'm trying to get really serious with practicing, and i've tweeked my kit more times then i can count on our COLLECTIVE fingers and toes!

:(

i really having probs with the positioning of my tom 1 and getting a good "hit" out of my left hand...

i've tried raising it, lowering it.... angel this way, angle that way....

still... cannot find the sweet spot....

i'm wondering, when sitting at the throne, should i be able to reach out in front (in line with my body) with both hand to drum at tom 1? or should there be a slight turn to the right (which would be the most obvious way to set it up)....

i know, i suspect this is just "too taste" with everyone being different, but man or man..... i'm pulling out my hair!

i even pulled the whole kit apart last week, reassemed. it and left the wires disconnected for a few days (while i played on and off) just to be able to further tweek it without the wires getting in the way...

i feel as though i'm running is circles...

:(

User Info Menu

Default Re: really need advice - placement of tom 1 and hitting with left hand

pictures.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

yeah, i guess!

i'll see what i can get, will have to have the mrs be my photographer!

User Info Menu

Hey there, maybe I missed it when reading, what grip do you play with ?
    For me...I play traditional 98% of the time and have a slight angle (flowing towards both the snare and 2nd tom). Just so much easier for me to get equal attack with the left hand and when I want some rim it's easy to "pick it off" with little effort...very comfortable. There are so many variables..(throne height, height of tom to snare, grip, etc......I agree, pictures would definitely shed some light. Best of luck with the experimenting....

User Info Menu

you definitely wanna be centered so theres minimal reaching involved. sit closer or farther away as needed to accomodate the span of your arms so your maneuvarability around the set is better. this is perhaps unrelated, but i try to keep my sticks as close to the objects they are striking and not so far away, like how when you hit hard you want to have a greater distance between your hands and the drum/cymbals. i find it faster and less effort is needed to play what i play
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Is it the positioning or is it the fact that it's your weak hand? Practice your rudiments as to strengthen up that weakling and get it up to par with your strong hand. It is the only way...as no position is suitable when it is your physical hand that is the problem.

User Info Menu

TAF, I was wondering the same thing.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

indeed, part of the prob is (i determined) a "weak hand" issue, but i also figured out that the pad was just not angled right, i now have it tilted a bit more towards the left so when i strick it with left, the stick hits a bit more "solidly"... anyway, i'm taking it slow with putting my kit back together (bit by bit) and seeing how they are "mesh"... i'm making progress...

thanks!

User Info Menu

K, cool, prime, you are a "rightie", but like trump said, WHAT is your LH grip? Trad. or modern matched? It makes a difference, bro, in your angle of attack.
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.

User Info Menu

Good to see you again Tam!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tam View Post
    K, cool, prime, you are a "rightie", but like trump said, WHAT is your LH grip? Trad. or modern matched? It makes a difference, bro, in your angle of attack.
    :( sorry, i forgot to answer that ?:

match grip.... i tried tradiational a whiel back, did nt feel right (for me) at the time, though i am SURE i will evolve to use that in time...

User Info Menu

Well, Traditional never truly works on the set unless you play that position for years and years and years. I play matched, and I have one question before answering. What kind of tom holder do you have? Do you have one that looks like two separate Ls, or do you have an omniball?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    Well, Traditional never truly works on the set unless you play that position for years and years and years. I play matched, and I have one question before answering. What kind of tom holder do you have? Do you have one that looks like two separate Ls, or do you have an omniball?
    re: tom holder... well, it is a e-kit (simmons sd7k) and the toms are attached to the rack via these little metal arms and brackets (of sorts). You DO have LOTS of option, but it is not the same range of motion as an acoustic set (i''m sure!)...

User Info Menu

PM maybe you have your answer...maybe not.. alls i can offer is that you should not feel like you are streching akwardly to hit center in tom..that may mean a change in grip..alot of us drummers change grips dependant on song type and feel..remember the length of your sticks, thats what they are for..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Good to see you again Tam!
    Shout back, bro, change of jobs and states, how it is, but finally back to the passion of drums.

TY for the remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.