Thread: How to go about teaching myself how to play drums?

User Info Menu

Default How to go about teaching myself how to play drums?

My last thread "disappeared" it seems. I click on it and it comes up with an invalid thread error. Oh well, here it is again! Already emailed the webmaster to look into the problem or simply delete the old thread.

Hey guys, I registered a little under a week back, the account got activated finally, so I have been browsing the site since then. Loving everything, especially the "Show Us Your Drums!" thread.

Anyways. I can't afford a drum kit, as probably a few others on the site, and wouldn't have any place to play an acoustic, so I'd need to go electronic, which is even more expensive, ha. I attempted to teach myself guitar in order to satisfy my desire to play a musical instrument, but my passion is in drumming, not guitar, so I really only got as far as 3 or 4 chords before I stopped bothering completely. Every song I listen to, I listen to the drums or beat of the song, then improvise it if I feel the need. I'm constantly drumming along to everything I can (it gets annoying to some people while they're around lmao).

I'm just looking for an opinion and/or some advice as to how to go about this. I'm trying to sell my guitar equipment (guitar, book, stand, tuner, etc), then I plan on buying a practice pad (this one, to be exact: Evans Apprentice Drum Practice Pad and metronome. I already have a few pairs of sticks from playing Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band for XBox 360. Anything else I need to get? Or any other direction I should be going instead of this?

Also, I think my absolute biggest concern is the fact that with the economy as it is, and how hard it is to find work, especially being out of high school with no college (yet), I don't know how many years it'll take me to finally get myself an electronic kit. I know that I won't find a place I'd be able to play myself until I get my own home, most likely. Any suggestions on where to get started on a kit, or when? (If that makes any sense. I'm just kind of rambling here now haha)

Thanks for all the help, love the site. I like how everybody is kind and extremely helpful, and especially how nobody I've seen so far has been trying to one-up anybody else on their kits! All they care about is the love of the music, it's great!

-Dob

Sorry for the wall of text. Ha. I tend to do that when I have questions and what not.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How to go about teaching myself how to play?

Hi Dob,
    Your first post may have been filtered if you had a link to GC in there. Commercial links are not allowed in here:

http://www.drumchat.com/faq.php?faq=..._faq#faq_rules

I went ahead and removed the link in this one and left the thread. Sorry it took so long to get you approved. I think they've been behind.

Welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

There's nothing wrong with getting one of those practice pad kits, some of them are pretty cool actually (DW Go Anywhere Practice Pad or the Peace TR-1 practice kit are the best IMO since they both have the built in pedal). I was going to get one of those at one point but bought my Roland HD-1.

User Info Menu

I would advise spending 7-10 dollars on a pair of sticks. The ones that come with rock band and guitar hero are crap.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: How to go about teaching myself how to play?

For Years A Carried A Remo Practice Pad Kit In Hotel Rooms So I Could Warm Up Or Learn New Stuff.... A Towel Over A Ride Cymbal Before They Had "Sound -Offs"
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

The practice pad kits are a great suggestion. Also, like PW, said, get some real sticks. Practice your rudiments and, if you can afford it, take some lessons. Good luck.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Dob, it's good to see you in here again, and you're right on about the folks that hang out here being awesome people.

One resource you might want to consider is the free drum lessons available through Drum Bum. You can get there by clicking on "Drum Links" on the navigation bar at the top of the page. Here's link to the free rudiments page: http://www.drumrudiments.com/
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

alright cool. so when I sell my guitar and such, I'll buy myself a practice pad and some sticks. I have a pair of real sticks. dont' know what size or anything.. they're kinda heavy. I'll probably get a new pair regardless. Thanks for all the help guys and sorry, I guess I missed the no commercial links thing, I could've sworn I've seen one or two before. Maybe on another site :P

User Info Menu

A lot of good starting info here guys, all I can add is that if you did take lessons you would be at least playing a kit there. and the practise pad is a great idea. welcome to the beat!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dobalu View Post
    I guess I missed the no commercial links thing, I could've sworn I've seen one or two before. Maybe on another site :P
    Sometimes a commercial link gets past us, but once we run across it, it gets deleted. I understand that sometimes, we just get excited about stuff and want others to be able to find it, so I always delete respectfully.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dobalu View Post
    Anyways. I can't afford a drum kit, as probably a few others on the site, and wouldn't have any place to play an acoustic, so I'd need to go electronic, which is even more expensive, ha. I attempted to teach myself guitar in order to satisfy my desire to play a musical instrument, but my passion is in drumming, not guitar, so I really only got as far as 3 or 4 chords before I stopped bothering completely. Every song I listen to, I listen to the drums or beat of the song, then improvise it if I feel the need. I'm constantly drumming along to everything I can (it gets annoying to some people while they're around lmao).
    Minus the whole guitar thing, this is exactly what I was about a year ago. Man, I just sat down an played whever I found a kit at a friends etc. Then I just sat down an played when I got my first set up. Just work an you'll get it man.
    I like heaveh mehtal.

User Info Menu

Dobalu, check your personal messages. I will send you a link you might be interested in. Since you mentioned a budget I thought it might look enticing.
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

all great drummers master their fundamentals. practice rudiments and train your ears. train your brain too. I think Gavin Harrison said that in an interview. the more he practiced doing fast rudiments the more he went blank when he needed to create something new. if you could balance your rudimental training with your ear training and mind training, it's good.

dont forget the most important thing. NEVER compare yourself to others.

enjoy learning. enjoy playing. enjoy becoming a better player everyday.

User Info Menu

Learn the fundamentals. That's how the drumming greats became the way they are. Practice your rudiments. Sharpen your ear. Learn your time subdivision.

Do not forget the most important thing. NEVER compare yourself to others.
    Just enjoy learning. Enjoy playing. Enjoy becoming a better player everyday.

User Info Menu

Dobalu... as you said, you started with guitar but gave up on that because you "feel" the beat and would rather "Drum" than "Strum." Well, we all can appreciate that. However, it wouldn't be the first time that someone tries to "Drum" and gives up because they suddenly realize...what do I do? The answer to that is to invest in some lessons for, say 6 months to a year, and learn if you have the capacity as well as ther desire to play the drums...it's a whole lot more than just feeling a beat and wanting to dum on the table.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    The practice pad kits are a great suggestion. Also, like PW, said, get some real sticks. Practice your rudiments and, if you can afford it, take some lessons. Good luck.
    I have to beg to differ from you on this one.

When I started drumming, I got a pad with my sticks. I got another pad... a reelfeel.. for some reason (I love it!), and on my birthday that year, I got a DW practice pad set. I liked it for awhile, then I noticed after just a little bit after I got it that some of the pads were coming loose. I had to put duct tape on them so that they wouldn't fall off. Then I noticed that the tension rods wouldn't hold. (They still don't)

DW can make some great drums, but I Do NOT recommend you to buy these. They are way too expensive for the quality they have.

If you get anything, I suggest you get a good beginner's set. It's a great thing you've found the SHOW US YOUR DRUMS thread. It can really help you find what you need.

As I always say,
    if it doesn't feel or sound right, don't buy it. If it's good, You've found the right place.

As far as sticks go, the top 3 manufacturers are Vic Firth, Vater and Pro Mark.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

CB you forgot regal tip!

ummm i would recommend talking to a bunch of people about druming and maybe someone will let you borrow a drumset! when i first started about 5 years ago a guy that worked with my dad let me borrow his set for about 2 months, i dont remember anything about the set except that the finish was beautiful and the snare was worth about $700 i cant imagine how uch the set cost.
    it was a great start to my drumming career. Good luck! best of wishes!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Kind of an old thread, but I gotta say, definitely get some new sticks...the ones included with Rock Band and Guitar Hero are HORRIBLE!! Aside from that, the actual "drum kits" included in those packages make excellent practice pads. Mine stopped working, and I lost interest in playing Guitar Hero, so now I use it strictly as a practice pad.

User Info Menu

Listening to records and getting books like Stick Control are great ways to teach yourself, though I would always recommend a good teacher first.