Thread: Favorite Licks

User Info Menu

Default Favorite Licks

What are your favorite licks on the hand drums?

For me I would have to say it is the Bo-Diddly beat (aka clave). This is one of those pieces that I have been working on for speed and endurance as well - being a "dense" rhythm, it can wear you out.
    (S - Slap, O - Open Tone, B - Bass)

Son Clave (3-2)
    Code:
    1e+a|2e+a|3e+a|4e+a
    SOOS|OOSO|OOSO|SOOO
    It is also fun to switch back and forth between son clave and rumba clave:

Rumba Clave
    Code:
    1e+a|2e+a|3e+a|4e+a
    SOOS|OOOS|OOSO|SOOO
    Also, it is fun to replace the Slaps with Basses to get a lower base drum feel.

So, share your favorite licks!

PS...you can get the chars to line up and have it honor your spaces if you highlight it and click on the CODE option - it makes it proportional font.
    Last edited by midgard; 05-17-2009 at 03:03 AM.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Default Re: Favorite Licks

I couldn't type it out evenly...sorry.

Timba 2-drums:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5be0Wq5F-A&feature=channe"]YouTube - Timba on Congas - For Beginners[/ame]
    Last edited by BongoCajon; 05-17-2009 at 08:29 AM.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Very cool find BongoCanjon - It definitely gives a spicier version of Tumbao.

If I got the transcription right, I believe Timba is as follows. The one note I was not sure of was where I have the Touch. I wasn't sure if that was a Touch or muff, but it sounded and looked most like a touch. Did I get it right Bongo?

(B Bass, O Open, T Touch)

Code:
    High |BSST|BSOO|BSS | SOO
        --------------------
    Low  |    |    |   O|O
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    Very cool find BongoCanjon - It definitely gives a spicier version of Tumbao.

If I got the transcription right, I believe Timba is as follows. The one note I was not sure of was where I have the Touch. I wasn't sure if that was a Touch or muff, but it sounded and looked most like a touch. Did I get it right Bongo?

(B Bass, O Open, T Touch)

Code:
    High |BSST|BSOO|BSS | SOO
        --------------------
    Low  |    |    |   O|O
    Let's see...this is what I transcribed midgard.

BSSS / BSMM / BSS(OO<Low)SMM
    LLRL / LLRL / LLR RR LRL

M Muffled
    Last edited by BongoCajon; 05-17-2009 at 09:17 PM.

User Info Menu

For me...basic thumpa thumpa thumpa!

all te best...

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Favorite Licks

The clave beat is the definitive Latin feel for most congueros and bongoseros, but the cha-cha and salsa beats are among my personal favorites. And, strange as it sounds, the much maligned "disco" beat (think of "Rock the Boat" from The Hues Corporation or "If I Can't Have You" from Yvonne Elliman in the soundtrack of "Saturday Night Fever") can be fun to jam out on the congas...

BTW, middy, which "bongo" were you asking--BC or BB? To me, your notation looks good...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Too many bongoXXX's! lol. I was directing the question to BongoCajon to see if they way I transcribed it matched what he thought. That is one of my biggest faults at this point. It is extremely difficult for me to learn by "hearing" -- I am more of a visual learner and it is much easier to do so if I have some sort of drum tab or sheet music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    Too many bongoXXX's! lol. I was directing the question to BongoCajon to see if they way I transcribed it matched what he thought. That is one of my biggest faults at this point. It is extremely difficult for me to learn by "hearing" -- I am more of a visual learner and it is much easier to do so if I have some sort of drum tab or sheet music.
    Trust me on this midgard. Maybe we both got it completely wrong, 50% right, 33% right, 97% right...? I focused a lot on his hands positions than on the sounds in order to transcribe.

User Info Menu

Here is a great combo to incorporate into your standard tumbao.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSQ66KJmgwQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Panga - Combination with Macha[/ame]

User Info Menu

Here is one I like lately...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq1qclIHkJ8&feature=related"]YouTube - Mozambique[/ame]