Thread: muffled

User Info Menu

Default muffled

okay i have a question: what's better getting a hole in your bass drum and sticking like a big pillow in it, or is just taking off one of your bass drum's hoops and lugs and putting a pillow inside it?

User Info Menu

dont intentionally put holes in your bass drum... and im not sure i understand your question completely

User Info Menu

never mind i just took the front hoop and skin off. and stuffed about three small pillows in there. now it sounds more like a heavy metal bass drum.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

Good choice.

Putting a whole in your front bass drum head is for mic'ing purposes only and is not recommended for anything other than that.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

1st of all a 26" bass drum is not going to be very punchy. Try going down and using a differnt muffling system. I use a 24" and the aquarian super kick 2 head. They have some muffling already done. If you need to muffle some more you will need definily less than 3 pillows.

Or you can get some foam weather stripping and put it on the inside of the batter head around the edge.

User Info Menu

just drop it! jeez, all i care is that my bass drum sounds like a metal bass drum and not like a frickin' timpani.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CAM1027
    just drop it! jeez, all i care is that my bass drum sounds like a metal bass drum and not like a frickin' timpani.
    Dude......you asked for advice, we gave it freely. Lot's of people have the same problems or questions and we post here to help out everyone. You will notice that some threads are brought back from the dead long after the question was answered because somebody else had a similar problem and needed a little bit more detail.

No need to be rude...
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CAM1027
    I understand that ****lick. and a 26" bass drum does not and probably will never sound that good for metal.

oh and if you want me to "get over it" as you say, 1. stop giving it a name and 2. get the size 48 font off of your signature.

or is it you who needs to "get over it"?

User Info Menu

speaking of bass pedals i got a little question.. i bought a drum set like 6 months ago, and its "Basix" bet you've never heard of it, probly because its a 399$ drum set. but thats not the point, there is a dent in the bass drum skin were im hitting it. my friends drum set doesnt have a dent and hes had his for 6 years, (same drum set as mine basicly) well the dent get bigger? is it normal.. just to be save i put some toilet paper on it. help me out that'd be great

User Info Menu

Yes the dent will probably get a little bigger, then your going to put your foot through it. Even a cheap set can sound good with the right heads and proper tuning. I would replace that bass drum head immediatly with a quality head (Remo, Evans, Aquarian) and if you kick hard, add a beater pad to it. After that, tuning is the key. If you have it too lose, the head is going to flex too much and you are going to have the same problem. This can also be caused by burying your beater ( let off the gas, no need to push the pedal if your not going anywhere ). If you tune it too tight, you run the risk of splitting the head ( you REALLY have to have it tight to do this, so don't worry ).

Hope that helps a little!
    Last edited by 1DrumBum; 01-25-2007 at 11:06 PM.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I have a sound/mic hole in mine, it made no difference to the sound. Also all you really need is a litle cloth against both skins and that dampens it enough if youve got it tuned right
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...