Thread: Doubles

User Info Menu

Default Doubles

Can someone really explain to me the mechanics of doing fast doubles. Like.. is it a single stroke with a "controlled" second bounce. Or a just a bounce? What is the motion of the hand/arm?. like when Giovanni does it, it looks like he pulls his hands in .. or something.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Doubles

Quote Originally Posted by jdl1881 View Post
    Can someone really explain to me the mechanics of doing fast doubles. Like.. is it a single stroke with a "controlled" second bounce. Or a just a bounce? What is the motion of the hand/arm?. like when Giovanni does it, it looks like he pulls his hands in .. or something.

Thanks!
    I am also eager to learn this one.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Look for youtube vids of "mano secreta", Laurent Lammy has a couple good videos explaining it. Basically the motion is the same as the heel/tip. The palm comes down on the edge of the head to play an open tone and the fingers follow in a rocking motion and strike the head for the second double.

Forget about everything you learned about double rolls with sticks, hands don't rebound like a stick. This is all muscle memory and takes a long time to get up to a good speed.

User Info Menu

Hmm..Interesting. I haven't ever seen the heel/toe motion used to produce two open tones before. Typically I have seen it played as the toe motion doing a touch.

I could see where you could apply it for playing double opens, but I don't see how you could use it to produce double stroke basses or double stroke slaps.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb