Thread: Gon Bops Or Valje's?

User Info Menu

Default Gon Bops Or Valje's?

Does anyone know if this is original Gon Bops hardware? It's some kind of stand mount, I thought I seen it on a Valje on another site. If it's not Gon Bops then it's coming off.
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gon Bops Or Valje's?

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Does anyone know if this is original Gon Bops hardware? It's some kind of stand mount, I thought I seen it on a Valje on another site. If it's not Gon Bops then it's coming off.
    L4C
    My Valjes have two bolts - they're the earlier (mid 70's), but not the earlies Valjes. The fourth generation Valjes, the Armando Perazza Cherry wood series, has larger hardware than mine and the plates are mounted with three bolts instead of two.

Look-a-lika-a-Gon Bops 2 me ..
    Here's a photo of some Gon Bops hardware:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kona; 05-18-2009 at 01:32 AM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Disclaimer - I don't know anything about the topic

However, the screws on the bracket look to be the same as the ones on the mounting hardware. That would lead me to believe that it is original gear.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    L4C
    It is original GB hardware. It is a mount for the stand like you said. 3 of my drums have it, and the other did at one time, but was removed. I've never seen one of the old stands for sale though, I've seen a few original GB basket stands, but never the double stand that these mounts go to.

User Info Menu

Kona , Midgard and Gretschhead, you guys are Cool! Thanks, you helped me make up my mind, the bracket is gona stay and now I can finely get some sleep.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    hey luv4congas
    yes that's very original gonbops you have seen it on valje simple to explain Tom Flores and Marano Bobadilla were partner at one time that is one of the first gon bop conga drums when they split valje made his drums with hareware he developed and gon bops changed design to square the screws on that drum originally came just like valje drums like question mark. sorry it took so long to answer did not know of drumchat at time.that drum is from mid 1950's
    Thanks for that info Cuco. I had brought up that hardware in another thread this morning. Interesting to hear that they are from the 50s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    hey luv4congas
    yes that's very original gonbops you have seen it on valje simple to explain Tom Flores and Marano Bobadilla were partner at one time that is one of the first gon bop conga drums when they split valje made his drums with hareware he developed and gon bops changed design to square the screws on that drum originally came just like valje drums like question mark. sorry it took so long to answer did not know of drumchat at time.that drum is from mid 1950's
    No problem leedy2 I'm just glad to have you aboard! You have alot of Knowledge and history of the percussion I like most THE CONGA! What I find most intresting is when I see drums made in California back then in another country now! I seen on another site a Gon bops and Valje in a picture in the Middle East that were in great condition! So I was wondering if they were shipping them world wide?

L4C