Thread: Congas...why so popular?

User Info Menu

Default Congas...why so popular?

For me... when these baby's are in tune the sound is hypnotic! I like the shape's and the sound of the conga drum! Congas are also a very challenging drum to learn for me unlike a djembe or other hand drums.

Why do you like the conga drum and why do you think they are so popular today?

LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Congas...why so popular?

I think they're popular because:

Easy to pack around if you have to.

They look great...kinda tribal

There's so many beautiful congas out there these days. They're like "fine furniture" - to me anyway.

I like the old and the new.

The sound can be so mellow and it amazes me how many sounds you can get out of one drum!

Part of the reason they're so popular, I think, is because of the history.

Look at this old creature! It would be a challenge to restore.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I think they're popular because:

Easy to pack around if you have to.

They look great...kinda tribal

There's so many beautiful congas out there these days. They're like "fine furniture" - to me anyway.

I like the old and the new.

The sound can be so mellow and it amazes me how many sounds you can get out of one drum!

Part of the reason they're so popular, I think, is because of the history.

Look at this old creature! It would be a challenge to restore.
    Great response kona! I agree. Look at that ole conga...think of the history behind the hands that have played it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I agree with you here Kona. I am amazed at all the different sounds that can be achieved just by striking the head in a different place, or with a different part of the hand.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I actively play both djembe and congas and I like them each for different reasons. Both are extremely portable and you can get a huge range of sounds from both. Both are really fun to play in a group.

The real difference to me is the tonality. Congas have a warm mellow sound with plenty of mid-tones. They really fill out the groove and not as percussive as other kinds of drums. So, if I am in the mood to be more melodic, I tend to gravitate towards the congas.

The djembe on the other hand is more percussive - it has a wide range of sounds you can make, but they all tend to be raw and not as melodic. When I am focusing more on the rhythm or playing a lead drum part, I would gravitate towards the djembe because it cuts through the other drums.

To me the difference is akin to the difference between the snare drum and the toms. The toms are more resonant and melodic where as the snare is snappy and cuts through thing.

Each definitely has their place
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

A lot of the credit for why these drums are so popular today goes to Martin Cohen of LP. He was the first to mass produce these drums and really helped pull what was a previously very traditional art unknown to most of the world into the mainstream music scene. The latin jazz explosion in New York and the west coast brought out some amazing players who popularized the instrument. Eventually other genres like jazz, rock, and funk adapted the instrument and the rest is history.

The reason I play congas is because of all of the history and tradition surrounding the drums. Each individual rhythm has a history, a story, a god to whom you are worshiping. As oposed to drum set playing, I get to learn not only the rhythms and how to play them, but also the culture behind them.

User Info Menu

An excellent analysis Midgard! I like how you compared the hand drums with the kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I like conga's because they're just so frikin fun to play around with. But I can see where someone would get the idea they are stupid. They only make like 6 sounds lol.
    I like heaveh mehtal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zebra View Post
    I like conga's because they're just so frikin fun to play around with. But I can see where someone would get the idea they are stupid. They only make like 6 sounds lol.

User Info Menu

They're popular because you can learn a cool rhythm like this Guaguanco (pronounced wha whan ko) and transfer it to the kit too if you like

Enjoy..........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t58Hodm14zA"]YouTube - Guaguanco on two congas - For Beginners[/ame]
    Gary

User Info Menu

They are fun!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Congas...why so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    I actively play both djembe and congas and I like them each for different reasons. Both are extremely portable and you can get a huge range of sounds from both. Both are really fun to play in a group.

The real difference to me is the tonality. Congas have a warm mellow sound with plenty of mid-tones. They really fill out the groove and not as percussive as other kinds of drums. So, if I am in the mood to be more melodic, I tend to gravitate towards the congas.

The djembe on the other hand is more percussive - it has a wide range of sounds you can make, but they all tend to be raw and not as melodic. When I am focusing more on the rhythm or playing a lead drum part, I would gravitate towards the djembe because it cuts through the other drums.

To me the difference is akin to the difference between the snare drum and the toms. The toms are more resonant and melodic where as the snare is snappy and cuts through thing.

Each definitely has their place
    Middy, excellent analysis, man! My member name is "bongobro" but the congas are probably my favorite hand drums of all. As many of you know, I play congas and bongos with our church's guitar ensemble, and, as you suggest, there are different tonal qualities among congas, the djembe and bongos. I seldom use the djembe in our services because the sounds are indeed raw and rough...if I were playing Christian rock, I might, but most of our music is more traditional or folk-based in nature. While there are songs on which I tear up the congas (and I love to tear 'em up, believe me!), the vast majority of them require a gentler, more tasteful feel to keep the drumming from drowning out the message!

With three congas tuned to distinct intervals, each drum has a part to play...and a simple cha-cha or salsa beat can be adapted to a contemporary piece of church music (or even a more traditional hymn)...congas add a gentle pulse to the slower songs and a driving beat to a gospel-influenced tune. I think of the congas as the alto, tenor and bass of my percussive "voices" and my bongos as the first and second sopranos...

Quote Originally Posted by zebra View Post
    Zebra, amen on the first part of your comment...to me, congas come closest to the original "tribal" feel of early hand drums (djembes a very close second). And they are mucho fun to jam with! But SIX SOUNDS??? Among three drums, using slaps, open tones, muffled beats, etc., I can easily get dozens of single and multiple sounds out of mine...in some ways, a true conguero can get nearly as many sounds out of his drums as a talented kit drummer can on a five-piece set...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck