Thread: Average Drum Rudiment Speed

User Info Menu

Default Average Drum Rudiment Speed

Hi guys,
    Sorry I havent been around in a while.

My career has been kinda taking off recently and I can only find time to play on a practice pad as opposed to a full kit.

With this in mind I seem to have become obsessed with rudiments etc and in particular the speed of rudiments. Going by what is on offer on vicfirth.com I've been getting extremely worried. I see that the guy there can get up to speeds of 180 bpm and I'm just wondering is this common among drumchat drummers? I seem to have hit a wall around 104 or so and I just lose control after that.

Chris

User Info Menu

Default Re: Average Rudiment Speed

US March Tempo is about 126 BPM (think National Emblem, or another common Suosa March), Brittish Marches and older fife and drum pieces are slightly slower. I would say if you can work the majority of your rudiments up to 126 you are doing good. To tell you the truth with most of my rudiments, I'm at about the same speed that you are (which is why I'm playing rudimental bass with the group I'm playing with). I'm not saying that once you get to 126 you should stop, but I think that is a reasonable intermediate goal to start with, and whatever you can get above that is just going to make things easier.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I think it depends on the rudiment. Like single stroke roll and stuff i can do pretty fast but my doubles are quite alot slower. I think my metronome only goes to about 180, single stroke roll is fine but doubles i think i can only get to about 1330ish before my technique becomes shoddy and i tense up.

User Info Menu

1,330? holy cow
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Like with anything, speed will come with time. As long as you continue to keep practicing them, you'll get there.

www.DrumRudiments.com
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Isnt the single stroke roll written as 32nd notes? So in that case I have no idea how fast I could play it seeing as I always just practice them as 16ths. So honestly I dont know about most of my rudiments, I usually just play them as 16ths with metronome going.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pwinnington View Post
    Isnt the single stroke roll written as 32nd notes? So in that case I have no idea how fast I could play it seeing as I always just practice them as 16ths. So honestly I dont know about most of my rudiments, I usually just play them as 16ths with metronome going.
    I'm pretty sure it's 16th notes.

But then again, I supose you could play it 8ths, 4ths, 32nds, whatever.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

all comes down to subdivision in the end. it's like saying I can do 32 nds on the kick - at 5 bpm. lol

Anyway - i would think around the the 120BPM is a good speed at least for now as a target if your only at about 100 anyway. I watched one of the lessons on here the other day by Derrek Roddy doing all his stuff at 180 BPM. he just set it and went off doing his exercises. Of course - he's derrek roddy and he's a monster on the drums. Not saying your not either, but what I'm thinking is that I wouldn't be measuring myself against a guy like him anytime soon.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Thansk for the replies guys....

In recent days I've actually broken past this wall I was talking about! I'm delighted !

I'm not sure if it was down to the following or not but...

In the last week I was talking to a jazz drummer who was at it for years and he told me "Don't get caught up on playing rudiments and play what you feel like playing and you'll get there"

I was also talking to a very young but commercially successful drummer who said "Practise Practise Practise!"

I have finally gotten my rudiments up to a speed I'm happy with (for the time being) ....A speed I just never thought I could handle.... Its like I'm able to slow time down and really concentrate on the details of a rudiment its great!

User Info Menu

Good to hear you've improved! Speed is always gained in small increments. You might think where you're at right now is pretty quick, but if you keep pushing yourself then you'll look back in two months and think what you're doing today is very easy to achieve.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Listen to drummers who play really fast. Try to play along, you should find your play style adapting to deal with that high level of speed. Rudiments help but unless you can adapt them into your playing style, or adapt your playing style to fit in rudiments (yeah, there's a slight difference), you're better off just naturally learning.

*this is in regards to speed and the technique that allows you to play comfortably at high tempos. For discipline and stick control, rudiments are much better.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...