Thread: Polyrhythm exercises

User Info Menu

Default Polyrhythm exercises

Hi all, i just wondered if anyone knows any good exercises which can get me into polyrhythms-like playing different time signatures on my hands and feet or both hands etc.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Polyrhythm exercises

My teacher showed me this one last week:
    The basis is triplets. 1triplet2triplet3triplet4triplet etc. Except you accent them like 16th notes with the bass on what would be the "a" (like 1e+a), while still keeping the triplet beat with hi hat chicks.

H|o--o--o--o--|
    S|ooo-ooo-ooo-|
    B|---o---o---o|

I know the lines don't align well, but I don't know how to fix that.
    Matt

User Info Menu

start with quarter note triplets, they sound simple at first but they're really difficult to get nailed down correctly.

the quarter note triplets start at about the 1:00 mark on the video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn7YtjO6Mqc"]YouTube - "POLYRHYTHMS"... an Introduction ( for all musicians )[/ame]

if you notice that you count it as a triplet, one - trip-let, two-trip-let, of you can count it as 1,2,3,4,5,6 if you're playing it correctly the one and the two of the triplet (one-trip-let two-trip-let) should fall on the one and the three of your count (1,2,3,4), it's hard to explain but if you accent the first beat of each triplet it'll help you hear the beat
    Last edited by Quadcam79; 05-20-2009 at 01:29 PM.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    My teacher showed me this one last week:
    The basis is triplets. 1triplet2triplet3triplet4triplet etc. Except you accent them like 16th notes with the bass on what would be the "a" (like 1e+a), while still keeping the triplet beat with hi hat chicks.

H|o--o--o--o--|
    S|ooo-ooo-ooo-|
    B|---o---o---o|

I know the lines don't align well, but I don't know how to fix that.
    By using the "Courier New" font.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie