Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is it time...?

User Info Menu

Default When is it time...?

When is it time to lay down the sticks and walk away? Most, I'm sure, would say NEVER. However, emotions aside, we can't go on forever. Age creeps up on us, the flash and fury begin to fade. Before long we reach a stage where we are less than enthusiastic. I have often pondered this question and concluded that when it's time, I'll know it.

Playing in a band is more difficult that we think. It is so much more than coming up with the right groove or covering the part as recorded. It's immersing ourselves into a fantasy and sacrificing to arrive at the Reality.
    It's a constant struggle. To be weak is to be lost and to be strong is to become the Bastard. Some one has to take the lead. Someone has to have the Cajones to lead this rag-tag menagerie. Someone has to stand out and say what is right or wrong.

I used to think that it would be nice to be able to leave at a time of our own choosing...with dignity and grace. I used to think that we can all be in this together. It's something of a shock when you realize that this is not always the case. Complacency has a way of sneaking in. If not recognized for what it is, it becomes tolerated and that is the beginning to oblivion.

So, as I stated, we will know when it's time to walk away. We will know that when we can recognize Complacency and know that we cannot tolerate it. The question then becomes...what do we do about it and, when decided, is it worth it?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: When is it time...?

Frank, that is really deep. Being that everyone is different in one way or another, age will not always determine the length of their career. But to stick with the age, if your health is good, and your mind works, I would think one can play for a long time. Using Charlie Watts as an example, I am sure world touring at his age is really tough, but he is always there and plays well.

I will sometimes tell people that:
    Once you think you are old, then you will be old.
    Just always be young at heart, no matter how old the part.

User Info Menu

Never! I'm sure Buddy Rich played until the end I will keep playing until I physically can't anymore........

User Info Menu

Frank, I might be able to appreciate your post more than some. My reaction to that in the past would have been "never!". But at my age now, my reaction is, as you said, "when it feels right". We're given instinct by our creator and we should learn to trust it. I don't play as much as I used to and I thought that would bother me more. I have young kids and I wanted to go to their events and be a good dad. I was really worried about drums not being a significant part of my life anymore. But it worked out perfectly. I go to all of their sports events and school events, I have my drums set up at the house to jam on now and then and I take a few gigs here and there. Because I do freelance computer work, I enjoy what I do so that helps too. The other thing that helps is I know I can go back to it more full time anytime I wish.

I liken the pressure 'not to quit' as similar to the expectations of others that are always on us with regard to other things. Like if we hit a home run at a baseball game and everyone expects us to jump up and down. Well, what if we don't jump up and down? We may feel like it is sufficient enough to be silently grateful for that small feat. Similarly; other's have expectations concerning our career in drumming are often that we should play until we croak (especially if we are good players). Well, what if that's not what we want deep down?

Transition can be very difficult but I think if we trust our instincts, they always lead us in the proper direction. If you've got the "cajones" to successfully lead a big band, then you've got them to make a difficult life change that you might instinctively feel is a good choice for you.

User Info Menu

jim miller is a board member and if I remember correctly is in his 80's and still playing strong .

Just like picking out a cymbal or deciding which piece of gear to buy ,its a personal thing .And like Frank stated , we will know when its time .

For me right now ,that time is no where close .

Good luck to us all......

User Info Menu

when you get getting tendonitis or other joint and/or health problems id say. i think some people have revelations in life at some time when certain events happen to them, and they believe its time for a change. would life end if i couldnt drum? really would it? nah theres other things about life that are great, i could take up teaching, art, collect snares, or go back into drum building for fun. if that day comes where i feel i cant play anymore, ill still find some way to stay in touch with the drum world and continue enjoying its atmosphere to the fullest
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

when ever you feel it is time to stop, or when you physically cant do it anymore.
    like louie bellson for example, thats an old man! but he still plays because hes physically capable an probably loves it
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I'm gonna say til you just can't play anymore
    eg...Jim Chapin
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9J4dHJpNik"]YouTube - Dom Famularo with Jim Chapin[/ame]
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I'll be done when you pry my sticks from my cold, dead hands.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: When is it time...?

Topdog....Ya Got 2 Of My Heros In One Shot!!!
    The World Recognizes Me As A Dom Famularo Look-alike
    And Jim Chapin Changed My Life My Teaching Me Da Moeller Method In Front Of 3000 People At Pasic '95
    In Phoenix AZ...Evidence On Film Courtesy Of Dom Himself And Steve Gadd....
    It Changed My Life And To This Day I Praise Dom For Being My Mentor And Life Coach....

When Will I Put Down Sticks ????
    When I Can't Anymore I Won't,But,
    I Will Never Give Up Da Passion....
    Only Pray That I Can Pass It On To Someone Else...
    And That Phriends Is Why I'm Still Here....
    God Isn't Done With Me Yet!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

id say you know when it the time to stop

i ad a break of 17 year

when i play alot 20 years ago we play gig 3 time a week every week end thursday friday and saterday we charge 2200.00 for three night and 3 set a night maybe 2 1/2 hour playing bar open for us and for the girl friend too

now i play for me in the basement

last year i got a gig 6 song for a party

i think i will stop when i can't play anymore

when you living on drum it another game you have to be on the edge all the time (i wish i could ) not good enought now (no more left hand ) but i have so fun doing it that i can't say when i will stop (1 am 45 )

my 2 cents

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

Larrysperf Guest

I left drumming and came back just over a year ago do to heath reasons, is why I came back to something I have always loved. I think I will play till My body wont let me. My drums and the friends I have met on here got me threw a very rought time. And to you all I say Thank You

User Info Menu

When my wife says Im through.

User Info Menu

Frank, your question has multiple deep levels to it, and it's an excellent question. I think Drummer's answer was excellent, and I like PHROGGE's understanding of the passion. Never feel that the passion that you have for drumming has to be expressed in a single fashion. When it's time to go on to the next phase, you will know. Sometimes we pass along our knowledge to all the people in a big band, and sometimes we chose to pass it along one person at a time. Just think of all the life experiences that you can pass along with your drumming experience. It might be about continuing to create in a band situation, or it might be about giving lessons, or it might be about becoming a true mentor to someone who needs what you have. Only you will know what is right when the time comes, but all things are equally worthy.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

when im drunk j/k
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'm only 15, and have only been playing a year and a half, but already I have developed a real love for drumming and music in general. When will I put the sticks down? I honestly don't know, and, quite frankly, I don't want to think about it. My hope is that I put them down when I absolutely cannot play anymore. But life is very unpredictable, and you never know what might come up (not to sound like a pessimist). So my answer is, for me anyways, I'm not sure. But ideally, I want to play until my old age.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

I say never. I plan on going to heaven when I die, and as far as I'm concerned - they're gonna have to have drumming up there too (can't be heaven without drums) - so me - i'll be drumming forever.......
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I will play until I physically can not. I have been doing it over 30 years and it is a part of who I am.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I would say when the song is over, it's time to quit playing. . .

And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

I'm 20, I'm too young too start thinking about how or when I'll stop playing. I've had tendinitis in the past but I'm still playing now.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Reading everyone comments so far in this thread tells me we all come to the same conclusion ..........just because you physically cant play doesnt mean that mentally the passion goes too .

This is one of those Frank type threads I really enjoy reading ,something about drumming but not neccessarily about the drums themselves .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Roober View Post
    I'll be done when you pry my sticks from my cold, dead hands.

lol this....also Chapin's been mentioned a couple of times. I saw him at PASIC in '99 (if that's when it was in Columbus, OH don't remember) and he was still playing better than I probably ever will. He was 90ish then I believe? So yea...never. Tendonitis and carpel tunnel be damned I will get as many surgeries as necessary.

User Info Menu

I've got an entire life to live, and I'm going to use all of it how I want to use it. Playing the drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Reading everyone comments so far in this thread tells me we all come to the same conclusion ..........just because you physically cant play doesnt mean that mentally the passion goes too .

This is one of those Frank type threads I really enjoy reading ,something about drumming but not neccessarily about the drums themselves .
    Ame GF. One might think there's a lot of wisdom inside of Frank!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

OMG Frank. Where did that come from? I see you as the piller of optimism. Life is full of surprises and changes. Coming to this island was a huge change in drumming life for me. I essentially thought it was over. Now I am finding myself in a band with a bunch of same age folks, and we are rock n rollong and loving it!
    Reality says we can't physically do it forever. As long as I can hold brushes and tippy tap my way through an easy country song or someting, I'll probably be still going at it.

I get the sense that you are tiring of the personality side of band work. I can dig that.

all the best...