Thread: Didn't think I'd be posting here!

User Info Menu

Default Didn't think I'd be posting here!

HA this is the last area i thought i would be posting on this forum. I just recently purchased (LAST NIGHT!) a Simmons SD9K Drum kit for $600. It is 4 months old and the guy sold it because he never used it. I think i got a steal but i didn't have time to ask you all before. Anyone else have experience with this kit? Do you guys think i got a good deal? Anyways, i'll be interested to see whats on this sid of the forum ha ha, also, if i may say, buying an electronic kit is WAY cheaper than building a SOUND PROOF room. I accent sound proof because i mean sound proof. I'm very frustrated after my attempts i've come to realize that all these "sound proofing" techniques are actually just quiting the sound, not eliminating it.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Didn't think I'd be posting here!

well lemme be the first to welcome you to these parts. thats killer tho, im sure it will be fun to play on. pm me if you want tips on cheap conversions
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Well man, from what Ic an tell it seem slike a rpetty good deal - apparnelty these are $1000 setups, so getting it for $600 is alreayd a good thing. additionally, form online reports and other forums, seems these things are as good as anything in their price range, and as far as the brand, they're not at the level of Roland or Yamaha, but this particular kit is their flagship and as such has been given the top treatment by them.

Overall I think you did well, and should be happy with it. Obviously a kit that uses mesh heads or at least a mesh snare would have been more ideal, but you get what you can, and as far as impulse, buy now things go - this could have been allot worse. My only thing (other than the fact they're all rubber pads - no mesh) is the hi hat. The companies like to claim it's like a real hi hat, but it so isn't. if you can upgrade the snare and the hihat though, to a regular stand like the roland ones support, you've got yourself a setup on par with any of the yamaha e-kits IMO (depending on the quality of the samples being used).

By the way, apparently the module takes flash drives, and you can download stuff from the Simmons website for them, samples etc... i'd look into that if I were you.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Congrats FA! I bought the SD7K about a year and a half ago, I played with it a little bit, but really bought it to will it to my daughter and her family. It is fun to play, and since my daughter and her husband are considering being stationed in Okinawa, Japan I may have a little more time to play it if I can firgure out where to set it up. I got a very good deal and bought mine for $499, so getting the SD9K for $600 is terrific.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Very cool, like I mentioned i'm very new to electronic drums and i'm very excited to learn more. I'm also more than likely going to use a trigger or two with my live kit as well. Like you mentioned, the hi hat is a bit of a disappointment, it's either all the way open or shut. But how do you upgrade that? Isn't that based on the module, not the trigger or pedal i'm i assuming?
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fades Away View Post
    HA this is the last area i thought i would be posting on this forum. I just recently purchased (LAST NIGHT!) a Simmons SD9K Drum kit for $600. It is 4 months old and the guy sold it because he never used it. I think i got a steal but i didn't have time to ask you all before. Anyone else have experience with this kit? Do you guys think i got a good deal? Anyways, i'll be interested to see whats on this sid of the forum ha ha, also, if i may say, buying an electronic kit is WAY cheaper than building a SOUND PROOF room. I accent sound proof because i mean sound proof. I'm very frustrated after my attempts i've come to realize that all these "sound proofing" techniques are actually just quiting the sound, not eliminating it.
    I played a Simmons SDS 7 E-kit back in the mid to late 80's. I played them in a working band 5 nights a week for 4 years straight and not once did I have a problem with them. They took a beating and kept on ticking. If it's still the same company making the kits today you should have a great kit on your hands.

Not so great pictures, but here is the Simmons SDS 7 I had back then.