Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What music is currently inspiring you to become a better player?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What music is currently inspiring you to become a better player?

Weckl, Jeff Watts, Terri Lyne Carrington, Dafnis Prieto
    Everything these musicians do inspires me. every time
    the other thing that inspires me is my brain and my ear. if i get an idea, i try to work it out. usually i get frustrated and have to walk away and come back to it another day.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

I don't really listen to them, but about 10 years ago I heard Slipknot and I think Jordison's playing kinda got me into drumming.

I love playing along to music I listen to such as Rush, Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Killswitch, many others. TOOOOOOOOL. Also listening to guys like Lang and Mayer and all those other beastly players give me some inspiration and motivation to keep getting better.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    Make sure to check out Dysrhythmia (Pretest) and early Don Caballero. I've been thrilled with these bands and they are great live.
    YouTube - DYSRHYTHMIA - "Bastard"
    Yeah man, Battles was definitely best of 07' That whole album is great front to back. I've listened to Don Cab before but I'll definitely check out Dysrhythmia.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    I get most of my inspiration from "extreme metal" but if I notice anything that sounds cool or I see a new technique I won't hesitate to explore it if I like it.

Advent & Beloved (with Joe on drums), Bleeding Through, August Burns Red, The Acacia Strain, Job For a Cowboy, Whitechapel, Soundgarden, Ghost of Gloria, The Police, Unearth... the list never ends.
    Soundgarden and the Police seem strangely out of place for some reason..........

Oh and BTW - I can't stand JFAC. Nothing personal - tried and just can't get into 'em.
    Beloved and Ghost of Gloria should seem out of place too... Drumming is drumming to me. I don't care what other people label it as. If you play drums then you play drums and every technique can be used in anything.
    No worries about JFAC, I know guys that listen to the same music I do and don't like them.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I have found myself in a Texas Country Rock band. There is a lot of dynamics and cool changes. I am actually having a blast and gigging quiet a bit. I have been a rocker my entire life so this is all new to me. I am learning a lot.
    Yea it is a lot of fun. Also glad you are having fun as thats what its all about

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keysanddrums View Post
    Just to break up the rock party, I'll say that funk, new orleans, latin, jazz, and all that super syncopated stuff always inspires me to be a better drummer. Anything that I can't do already. If it's played with feeling, I can relate to it. That's why the metal stuff always alienates me. It's all math, and no emotion.

Of course, Steve Gadd, Richie Hayward, Mitch Mitchell, and all the classic greats are always inspiring.
    You should be careful with generalizations. It's not all math...and anger while not considered a healthy one...is an emotion. To take that a step further there are metal bands that do not make songs with angry lyrics.

Yes there are those metal bands that break things down into numbers that almost seem to make it as complex as possible just for the sake of doing so...but that's not all metal.